Death Stranding

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I’m leaning towards this being one of my all time favorites. I’m 36 hours in and just got to chapter 5. Obsessed with 5 starring the preppers and building highways.

I’m more hours (Chapter 3) in and I’m still building roads and invading MULE camps for resources.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah nothing about this looks appealing to me.

I even watched some walkthrough videos of the midgame where you have access to more gameplay elements to speed up the tedium and still the scope of what the game asks the player to do just looks incredibly boring. I can't imagine I'd have a different experience playing than watching.

The visuals are occasionally nice. I'll give it that.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Ya, I'll definitely hate that
Yeah it's not the best. It seems like aspects of the game are designed to be like that so that when you find something someone has made that makes it easier for you to get through, it actually feels like they've really helped and vice versa you feel good about helping someone else. If it was just kind of brain-dead running around from point A to point B it wouldn't feel like you were helping someone. A little annoying but I prefer the whole experience way more to other games that make things like inventory annoying and ask you to pay to make it easier instead

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
It starts off tougher to keep your balance but as you progress you unlock equipment that makes it much more easier and manageable. I’d equate it to levelling your character up. I also use the auto-balance for the cargo before I leave the load out. It’s really not a pain in the ass once you get going

Reactions: tealhockey

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm only just now encountering the "bandit" groups, so I haven't gotten very far in.

It's a fascinating game, but right now it is incredibly tedious.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Probably not gonna play the directors cut for a long time but Death Stranding is one of the most memorable games I’ve played. It’s a mood. I hope to revisit again sometime

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Shame Kojima never did make Silent Hills because PT was extremely good.

Death Stranding is just puzzling to me. The gameplay, the storytelling - none of it seems to be done well. The only visceral reaction I feel is sheer physical pain, as if I'm dragging heavy cargo on my own back. Worst of all I can't get over seeing the cardinal sin of bad storytelling: the overextended exposition which is everywhere in Death Stranding. Characters constantly explaining an extremely convoluted and silly plot (something about saving America and the president - yawn) which apparently cannot sustain itself with a simple "show-don't-tell" approach.

I get it that Kojima is an unconventional guy. But as I see it, you gotta make a choice: either make an approachable game for the average viewer (conflict, motivation, fun) or do the opposite - make a work of high art if you like. But if you're doing the latter, why force so much exposition? This is why I don't buy the excuse I am hearing that this game is Kojima's foray into high art. High art doesn't explain itself.

Oh and speaking of PT - those who've played it will recall that there was not a lick of exposition there. Kojima should have stuck with what worked.

As a Silent Hill fan ya it sucked especially since the games had gone down hill. PT was pretty nice and I wonder what the actual game would have been like.

Probably won't ever touch Stranding.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
As a Silent Hill fan ya it sucked especially since the games had gone down hill. PT was pretty nice and I wonder what the actual game would have been like.

Probably won't ever touch Stranding.

DS is a brand new game genre unto itself. It's pretty damned spectacular.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I already had it digitally from the PS4 but I waited around for a bit to play it (Originally bought it on sale anyways)
Just did the $10 option to upgrade to the PS5 version.
I enjoyed what little bit I played on the PS4, but now I'm pretty hyped to play it :yo:

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Almost done with the first Section of cities and they chopped out a lot of the junk and made it quicker to get through. Loving it so far!

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I love Kojima. I'm such a big fan of his I actually got the FOXHOUND/Kojima Productions Fox tattooed on my arm. I tried to get into Death Stranding when it first released but couldn't get hooked. My best friend talked me into giving it another shot, so I'm going to be starting this soon.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Not very far into the game yet, but I'm hooked. Can definitely see why it's not for everyone though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->