Death Stranding

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It’s funny because the amount of stuff you do after you reach chapter 3 is the farthest thing from boring. Obviously reviewers have their own opinions and stuff but the game is so bloody addicting, glad I picked it up.

This is most likely why Kojima mandated outlets needed to finish the game before reviewing it. Edge decided they didn’t want to do that.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The "boring" criticism is overblown, tbh. Mechanically it's definitely a "not for everyone" type of game, but even in a lot of negative coverage it seems like the gameplay is actually the strong point of the game for people? Indie stuff has been prepping people in the west for games like this for years, and I think a lot more people would be willing to tolerate it if the writing was better, or at least wasn't actively bad.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The "boring" criticism is overblown, tbh. Mechanically it's definitely a "not for everyone" type of game, but even in a lot of negative coverage it seems like the gameplay is actually the strong point of the game for people? Indie stuff has been prepping people in the west for games like this for years, and I think a lot more people would be willing to tolerate it if the writing was better, or at least wasn't actively bad.
I'm actually seeing quite a few 10/10 reviews that say they flat out dont like the gameplay and had zero fun, the ign review giving it a 6.8 (which in the modern 7-10 review score system is like a zero) got mass downvoted on youtube when it was published a week before it even came out. It actually seems like reviewers are afraid to give it a bad score.

Id need to play it, and it does sound/look like a decently fun challenging game, but it doesn't sound like a 80 dollar game to me (but almost no game is for me tbh, I always wait for sales), and it seems like a game you need to go into with the right mindset as a hiking simulator.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I watched Jingles first video on it. He slammed pretty much everything and everyone involved.

Called it a "walking simulator" lmao

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I watched Jingles first video on it. He slammed pretty much everything and everyone involved.

Called it a "walking simulator" lmao

Funny after the first two chapters, I’ve been driving everywhere, building highways, gunning down mules, and fighting ghosts. Wonder if he will touch on those aspects of the walking simulator when he gets there. It’s so much more than just walking

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Funny after the first two chapters, I’ve been driving everywhere, building highways, gunning down mules, and fighting ghosts. Wonder if he will touch on those aspects of the walking simulator when he gets there. It’s so much more than just walking

I think the early game is boring people to the point of dropping out. The ones that stay seem to be the ones that enjoy goofing around with the game, or the ones that are in it to find out what happens narrative-wise.

The late game does look far more interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Keep in mind these are all observations based on footage rather than actually playing the game myself.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Reading reviews and watching YT videos...game looks like trash. Definitely not on my list of game to buy.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Do you wanna not do the spoiler thing??? K ya...shush

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I can't tell if people actually like this game or are just forcing themselves to like it/find the positives because they're such huge Kojima fans and don't wanna be let down/have it look like he made a bad game

I'm gonna pick it up when it goes on sale though and give it a shot. Hope that sale comes soon although it's probably only gonna be like $15 off...not sure if it's worth waiting 3 weeks or so for $15 off. I would rent it but if it takes ~10 hours to get to the fun stuff then I'd never get there. Maybe I'll give in and get it for full price. I love how most people posting on here haven't even played it yet cause we are all trying to figure out if its worth it or not :laugh:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
If you hated The Last of Us, I'm not sure this is going to be for you.
What makes you say this? I was actually initially expecting it to be a Last of Us type thing, but all of this backlash and what's coming out about its unconventional non-crowd-pleasing game play style sounds like quite the opposite-- so much so that I'm actually a bit intrigued now (just barely, though).

Like, if it's just badly designed and poorly considered, then it deserves the criticism it gets (I kind of get the feeling that it is from what I'm hearing), but in theory, the idea of an original high-concept, game-ified, limited-item-reliant terrain-traversal game with no hand-holding, a slow introspective pace, and Journey-like network elements sounds much more intriguing to me than another generic action/stealth game, personally.

Don't care much for the idea of supposedly self-indulgent/needlessly convoluted Kojima-isms, though-- never was a fan of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
How long are the two chapters? Having to play a game an extended period of time before it actually becomes fun isn’t all that enticing.

Based on reviews and what people have said, it takes about 10 hours worth of gameplay to reach the really fun and cool stuff, like a vehicle I suppose

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Do you wanna not do the spoiler thing??? K ya...shush

lol, ok bud

I can't tell if people actually like this game or are just forcing themselves to like it/find the positives because they're such huge Kojima fans and don't wanna be let down/have it look like he made a bad game

I'm gonna pick it up when it goes on sale though and give it a shot. Hope that sale comes soon although it's probably only gonna be like $15 off...not sure if it's worth waiting 3 weeks or so for $15 off. I would rent it but if it takes ~10 hours to get to the fun stuff then I'd never get there. Maybe I'll give in and get it for full price. I love how most people posting on here haven't even played it yet cause we are all trying to figure out if its worth it or not :laugh:

I actually like it. I’m a fan of Kojima but not everything he does is great. Wasn’t huge on MGS4 or 5 but this game has legitimately pulled me in. It won’t be for everyone but plenty I’ve spoken too love the game wholeheartedly. I’ve also seen plenty of people who have played it and it’s not for them. The social aspect of it has really impressed me

Reactions: tealhockey

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
lol, ok bud

I actually like it. I’m a fan of Kojima but not everything he does is great. Wasn’t huge on MGS4 or 5 but this game has legitimately pulled me in. It won’t be for everyone but plenty I’ve spoken too love the game wholeheartedly. I’ve also seen plenty of people who have played it and it’s not for them. The social aspect of it has really impressed me

How far into it are you? Could you see yourself doing the full 50+ hours for the main story alone?

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
How far into it are you? Could you see yourself doing the full 50+ hours for the main story alone?

I won’t have an issue with it. I’ve gotten super sidetracked doing random other things that I need to get back into the actual story. I’m 17 hours in and barely scraping episode 3. From where I am into the story, I’m loving it so far.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Shame Kojima never did make Silent Hills because PT was extremely good.

Death Stranding is just puzzling to me. The gameplay, the storytelling - none of it seems to be done well. The only visceral reaction I feel is sheer physical pain, as if I'm dragging heavy cargo on my own back. Worst of all I can't get over seeing the cardinal sin of bad storytelling: the overextended exposition which is everywhere in Death Stranding. Characters constantly explaining an extremely convoluted and silly plot (something about saving America and the president - yawn) which apparently cannot sustain itself with a simple "show-don't-tell" approach.

I get it that Kojima is an unconventional guy. But as I see it, you gotta make a choice: either make an approachable game for the average viewer (conflict, motivation, fun) or do the opposite - make a work of high art if you like. But if you're doing the latter, why force so much exposition? This is why I don't buy the excuse I am hearing that this game is Kojima's foray into high art. High art doesn't explain itself.

Oh and speaking of PT - those who've played it will recall that there was not a lick of exposition there. Kojima should have stuck with what worked.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Shame Kojima never did make Silent Hills because PT was extremely good.

Death Stranding is just puzzling to me. The gameplay, the storytelling - none of it seems to be done well. The only visceral reaction I feel is sheer physical pain, as if I'm dragging heavy cargo on my own back. Worst of all I can't get over seeing the cardinal sin of bad storytelling: the overextended exposition which is everywhere in Death Stranding. Characters constantly explaining an extremely convoluted and silly plot (something about saving America and the president - yawn) which apparently cannot sustain itself with a simple "show-don't-tell" approach.

I get it that Kojima is an unconventional guy. But as I see it, you gotta make a choice: either make an approachable game for the average viewer (conflict, motivation, fun) or do the opposite - make a work of high art if you like. But if you're doing the latter, why force so much exposition? This is why I don't buy the excuse I am hearing that this game is Kojima's foray into high art. High art doesn't explain itself.

Oh and speaking of PT - those who've played it will recall that there was not a lick of exposition there. Kojima should have stuck with what worked.
I've played like 4-5 hours only but I couldn't disagree more, I think the execution is pretty well-done, the social aspect especially and the gameplay is cool... I just see it as a different kind of game compared to what people are used to. The story is so convoluted there has to be some explanation or people would complain about not understanding anything, and part of the game is to understand more of it. The early parts with the invisible monsters are legit terrifying.

also like what they've done with the baby thing and how the main character is weird about contact with anyone but seems to be getting attached to the baby more and more (at least it looks to be going in that direction). It's super out there but when I'm actually playing it's fairly immersive and fun, which is crazy to me considering the gameplay loop so far is something like a chain of fetch quests. Maybe I'm just buying into the hype but I've enjoyed it

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I've played like 4-5 hours only but I couldn't disagree more, I think the execution is pretty well-done, the social aspect especially and the gameplay is cool... I just see it as a different kind of game compared to what people are used to. The story is so convoluted there has to be some explanation or people would complain about not understanding anything, and part of the game is to understand more of it. The early parts with the invisible monsters are legit terrifying.

also like what they've done with the baby thing and how the main character is weird about contact with anyone but seems to be getting attached to the baby more and more (at least it looks to be going in that direction). It's super out there but when I'm actually playing it's fairly immersive and fun, which is crazy to me considering the gameplay loop so far is something like a chain of fetch quests. Maybe I'm just buying into the hype but I've enjoyed it

I really want to like it and it disappoints me that I don't.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I wonder how many people went into this thinking it was going to play like Metal Gear Solid.
Pretty much all of the Online media reviewers. Lol

This is one of the best games I’ve ever played. I’m still on Chapter 3 and loving every minute of it.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Pretty much all of the Online media reviewers. Lol

This is one of the best games I’ve ever played. I’m still on Chapter 3 and loving every minute of it.

I’m leaning towards this being one of my all time favorites. I’m 36 hours in and just got to chapter 5. Obsessed with 5 starring the preppers and building highways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad