Recalled/Assigned: DeAngelo and Dauphin Assigned to Tucson - Perlini called up

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
There are moments when you shouldn't recall a prospect no matter how well he plays.
I could be wrong but I just feel that a full AHL-season is what Perlini needs now. Why would you wanna risk the development of one of your top prospects by trying to force him into a losing NHL squad.

Again. I could be wrong. But it's just too much of a risk. Perlini to me clearly is no Dvorak. We've seen it so many times in the NHL...even top prospects often need a full AHL-season to learn how to play against men.

DeAngelo is a different story. He's got AHL-experience and he's proved to be NHL-ready. There's nothing to learn for him in the AHL other than maybe winning.

To be blunt and honest, I don't like the demotion of De Angelo but I'm really sceptical about the Perlini recall. This move could backfire...

Overreact much? He's gonna play some hockey in the big show. Why are so many acting like a nuclear warhead is going to explode in his az.?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I hope early enthusiasm enables him to show well, then he'll have a better idea of what he needs to work on.

It's just how it works sometimes, DT or no DT.

Sometimes. Even frequently. I'd hope he already has a good idea on what he needs to work on, bc they're supposed to be communicating that. I'm fine with a cup of coffee, but I'd rather see him in Tucson than playing 4 lw for the rest of the season.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Can you or Jakey please explain a positive out of the DeAngelo aspect of this move?

He gets sheltered from the goons on HF?

He was very good with the puck, but plain lousy on D when not on the guy with the puck, only fair on the guy with the puck. I don't mind him going down for a month or two to get him ready to be on our second pairing next season.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

He was very good with the puck, but plain lousy on D when not on the guy with the puck, only fair on the guy with the puck. I don't mind him going down for a month or two to get him ready to be on our second pairing next season.

Do you think he was/is worse in his own zone than Schenn? Being in your own zone includes transitioning it out of the zone.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

Can you explain that quantitatively, like in terms of how many points he had when he was not on the guy with the puck? I can't understand the merit of a defenseman in any other terms. :sarcasm:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Can you explain that quantitatively, like in terms of how many points he had when he was not on the guy with the puck? I can't understand the merit of a defenseman in any other terms. :sarcasm:

He leads the D in plus minus, scoring at a higher rate than OEL. Made Goligoski look good. Defending it is unreasonable.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like DeAngelo. Probably one of my favorite players on the team. But I think Luke Schenn has won a job for now for work his on the PK. For the first time in years, we actually have a PK that isn't god awful. And it's trending upward.

Fun fact: Jim Playfair has a better PK than Newell Brown does a powerplay.

But, as hbk mentioned, DeAngelo will be back just as soon as we find a home for Stone.

As for Perlini, I'd slot him on the left, move McGinn to RW, and let Duke watch a few. It did wonders for Murphy last year. Can't hurt at this point. What's the worse that can happen, he keeps not scoring?

I'd like to see Smitty start vs. the CBJ. Complete mind **** for him. Give Louie the Hawks. Don't want to run Smitty back to back and flair up a groin issue.

That said, I'd run:

Domi - Hanzal - Vrbata
Perlini - Dvo - McGinn
Rieder - Nook - Doan
Crouse - Gaudet - White

Can we all at least agree that our center ice is a joke? One banged up 2/3 C, a rookie, a winger, and an AHLer. We need to fix this sooner rather than later. Just adding Strome isn't enough.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I wanted to keep Vermette AND add Matthias just for the depth. And that was assuming one of Strome and Dvo would be given real minutes. Now we're really thin.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think we seriously need to consider someone of the Duchene ilk. There are other potential options. RNH, Jordan Staal, Stepan, Couturier, etc. I know it will cost a lot, but we need to fix this or we will just run into the same issue next season.

Simply re-signing Hanzal isn't a solution. What do we do when he's hurt? There's also no hiding the fact that he's a No.2 C at best.

But it'd be a helluva lot better to run Duchene-Strome-Dvo-Richardson down the middle next year. Or Stepan-Strome-Dvo-Richardson (swap Dauphin for Richie if his leg is done). It's still incredibly young down the middle, but it's an improvement.

Long term, you can re-sign Duchene (if he's the guy), flip him, or potentially move him to the #2 slot if Strome is #1.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I think Schenn and Chychrun have a lot to do with the move.

OEL/Murphy
Goligoski/Stone
Chychrun/Schenn

Is a well rounded D unit.
Goli/DeAngelo
Chychrun/Stone
Is pretty weak defensively. Two rookies, and neither are shutdown guys who could eat up PK minutes. I wouldn't mind having 7 D, use Schenn on the Pk, and DeAngelo on the PP. But then it would limit DeAngelo and Chychruns minutes, they would play a very sheltered game and it would hurt their development.

I'd also prefer for DeAngelo to become more of a two way guy. Right now he's more of Barrie, Yandle type. I'd like him to be more like Letang. I think the AHL gives him a better chance at becoming that.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Can we all at least agree that our center ice is a joke? One banged up 2/3 C, a rookie, a winger, and an AHLer. We need to fix this sooner rather than later. Just adding Strome isn't enough.

I agree. Strome and Dvo are gonna be 2/3's(and great 2/3s) for at least next season. I was hoping they'd be that this year.

But as we learned before it's very tough to add someone who can be a 1C. Would we be willing to move our 1st this year? Or one of top prospects? (Strome, Keller, Dvo, Chych, DeAngelo)

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I think we seriously need to consider someone of the Duchene ilk. There are other potential options. RNH, Jordan Staal, Stepan, Couturier, etc. I know it will cost a lot, but we need to fix this or we will just run into the same issue next season.

On hindsight, Eric Staal would have been perfect as a Vermette improvement, stabilise the C for a couple of years whilst the younger guys learn the trade.

His $3.5M contract with Minny is looking like a fantastic deal:

23gp 16pts in all situations of the game.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Sometimes. Even frequently. I'd hope he already has a good idea on what he needs to work on, bc they're supposed to be communicating that. I'm fine with a cup of coffee, but I'd rather see him in Tucson than playing 4 lw for the rest of the season.

There's a difference between verbal communication and living the situation.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That's what I thought too.

Doesn't really answer my question. You wanted Crouse to go down to round out his game (improve offense) but don't want DeAngelo to round out his game (improve defense) Sort of wonder if the issue isn't the move but the man making it.

:laugh:That has been the issue all along.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
With Perlini up I wonder if Duclair gets a seat in press box.

DeAngelo will be back soon. Too much talent to keep out of lineup. Stone's days are numbered.

I thought Duclair would have sat last game. I agree about DeAngelo, but not sure about Stone.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I like DeAngelo. Probably one of my favorite players on the team. But I think Luke Schenn has won a job for now for work his on the PK. For the first time in years, we actually have a PK that isn't god awful. And it's trending upward.

Fun fact: Jim Playfair has a better PK than Newell Brown does a powerplay.

But, as hbk mentioned, DeAngelo will be back just as soon as we find a home for Stone.

As for Perlini, I'd slot him on the left, move McGinn to RW, and let Duke watch a few. It did wonders for Murphy last year. Can't hurt at this point. What's the worse that can happen, he keeps not scoring?

I'd like to see Smitty start vs. the CBJ. Complete mind **** for him. Give Louie the Hawks. Don't want to run Smitty back to back and flair up a groin issue.

That said, I'd run:

Domi - Hanzal - Vrbata
Perlini - Dvo - McGinn
Rieder - Nook - Doan
Crouse - Gaudet - White

It's nice to read an intelligent post. Thanks Mosby.:)

Simply re-signing Hanzal isn't a solution. What do we do when he's hurt? There's also no hiding the fact that he's a No.2 C at best.

But it'd be a helluva lot better to run Duchene-Strome-Dvo-Richardson down the middle next year. Or Stepan-Strome-Dvo-Richardson (swap Dauphin for Richie if his leg is done). It's still incredibly young down the middle, but it's an improvement.

Long term, you can re-sign Duchene (if he's the guy), flip him, or potentially move him to the #2 slot if Strome is #1.

I was thinking Duchene also. Our C is not looking too good at the moment.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
My quick thoughts because I see I'm wading into a flame war here, and yet, I feel compelled to share:

* DeAngelo can use more seasoning. Very Yandle-like in his play; but also very young and acts it. He's got a taste of the bigs and now he needs a taste of big ice time.

* I'd rather not see Perlini come up because, given the somewhat chaotic nature of his development to date, a full season of AHL hockey would have been some welcome consistency. But, hey, putting him on a line with Gaudet and Crouse could add some scoring upside to a heavy-playing line; might as well try it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My quick thoughts because I see I'm wading into a flame war here, and yet, I feel compelled to share:

* DeAngelo can use more seasoning. Very Yandle-like in his play; but also very young and acts it. He's got a taste of the bigs and now he needs a taste of big ice time.

* I'd rather not see Perlini come up because, given the somewhat chaotic nature of his development to date, a full season of AHL hockey would have been some welcome consistency. But, hey, putting him on a line with Gaudet and Crouse could add some scoring upside to a heavy-playing line; might as well try it.

I agree, and Perlini has earned a call up. A little reward for his nice start in the A. This is the reason the farm team is in Tucson.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
And you know that? That's the problem on these boards, everyone thinks their a coach.

I think most posters on forum 40 can make an educated, informed analysis of whether someone is playing "well" or not, yeah.

Perhaps not as well as actual NHL coaches, etc, but 7 points in 11 games and not a lot of giveaways in games certainly doesn't point to "Scrub who needs to go back to the AHL" to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad