Recalled/Assigned: DeAngelo and Dauphin Assigned to Tucson - Perlini called up

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think we should all just behave this way for the good of the forum.

No, you're wrong. What an ignorant post.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Now that you mention it, the giveaways were occurring more often.

DeAngelo's problem is that he plays like Keith Yandle, but he doesn't have Yandle's tenure in the league and he's waiver-exempt. So he can get demoted for what everyone always called "the price of having Yandle's offense on the team." :laugh:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Good.

Lines:

Rieder Hanzal Vrbata
Domi Dvo Doan
Perlini Nook McGinn
Crouse Gaudet White

Edit: Louie gets the call. Saving Smitty for the Hawks.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
DeAngelo's problem is that he plays like Keith Yandle, but he doesn't have Yandle's tenure in the league and he's waiver-exempt. So he can get demoted for what everyone always called "the price of having Yandle's offense on the team." :laugh:

I can't say for certain exactly (if there is an exactly) why he was sent down, but am certain he can work on his game. If he can improve D and reduce turnovers, the team will be better for it long term. Short term however, the pp will suffer.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think most posters on forum 40 can make an educated, informed analysis of whether someone is playing "well" or not, yeah.

Perhaps not as well as actual NHL coaches, etc, but 7 points in 11 games and not a lot of giveaways in games certainly doesn't point to "Scrub who needs to go back to the AHL" to me.

:)If that were true we wouldn't be having this discussion would we. The truth be told, most can't make a educated, informed analysis on players most of the time. Look at your analysis for example. You talk about points and giveaways which were not the problem. It was his play without the puck which we as fans hardly ever notice or watch or know what the hell to look for or expect anyways. DeAngelo has too much talent, he will be back very soon.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I can't say for certain exactly (if there is an exactly) why he was sent down, but am certain he can work on his game. If he can improve D and reduce turnovers, the team will be better for it long term. Short term however, the pp will suffer.

According to Morgan that's why he went down - Dauphin went down, ironically enough, to work on his offensive game, which I'm sure was suffering because, well, I dunno, he was playing on a checking line.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
According to Morgan that's why he went down - Dauphin went down, ironically enough, to work on his offensive game, which I'm sure was suffering because, well, I dunno, he was playing on a checking line.

You mean a player's usage, linemates, and ice time affect his development? What a very unTippettlike deduction...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

With the puck he is fantastic. I guess he was sent down because of his play without the puck, and to be honest, I noticed a few times he would kind of be lost without the puck, but most times it didn't hurt the team. Not sure if I would have sent him down, mostly because I really like watching him. I expect him back soon. Murphy is the one I would sit.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Duke needed to sit out and think about things for a game or two. It's a good move to start Perlini and let Duke get his head straight.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Now if we can just move Doan out and insert Duke :)

Agreed, kind of.

I'll admit last game that there were moments I noticed Duke not really going 100%. I really think he just doesn't enjoy playing right now, and though that isn't an excuse, it still happens to players. He needs some positive reinforcement or something to get his head on right again.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
:)If that were true we wouldn't be having this discussion would we. The truth be told, most can't make a educated, informed analysis on players most of the time. Look at your analysis for example. You talk about points and giveaways which were not the problem. It was his play without the puck which we as fans hardly ever notice or watch or know what the hell to look for or expect anyways. DeAngelo has too much talent, he will be back very soon.

Agreed. 95 percent of individual player ice time is spent without the puck. Most fans notice only when some one has the puck or gets points. I like DeAngelo a lot but he can work on this part of his game.
Maybe he will be back in a week and rather than have him sit and watch he can now Go play
And work on his off the puck play. He will be back. Remember OEL went up and down a few times too.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Watch the guy.

He's makes fewer defensive mistakes than Yandle used to, while currently scoring at a similar pace, as Yandle usually did.

Agree with the point about defensive mistakes compared to Yandle.

I love the way DeAngelo plays the game, maybe even more than Chychrun, but these references to "scoring pace" over a career that has spanned all of 11 games are a bit hyperbolic.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I love the way DeAngelo plays the game, maybe even more than Chychrun, but these references to "scoring pace" over a career that has spanned all of 11 games are a bit hyperbolic.

He was scoring, even when the team was bad, and was one of the few bright spots in terms of possession and zone entry. Sending him down isn't going to help the big club on the ice.

I brought up the Yandle comparison because he'd never have established himself in the NHL under Tippett. He was already proven by the time DT came here, so DT played him to his strengths and sheltered him a bit. DT has an old school obsession of trying to make every prospect conform to his ideals rather than working with what they are. You end up breaking a lot of eggs that way.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Sending DeAngelo isn't going to make the team better. But I thought the consensus around here wasn't about having the team win this season, instead it's about development.

DeAngelo being a very good OFD is great, but it would be better if he could develop more of a two way game. Be more like Letang than Yandle.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Sending DeAngelo isn't going to make the team better. But I thought the consensus around here wasn't about having the team win this season, instead it's about development.

DeAngelo being a very good OFD is great, but it would be better if he could develop more of a two way game. Be more like Letang than Yandle.

This is the right take. He's better than Schenn, Stone and Connauton today, but his defensive game is still very raw. Anthony DeAngelo is better off in Tucson for the time being.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
That just proves you can be as nutty as anyone else :laugh:

Murph's defensive game is often a joy to watch, when you consider what he's up against and his age, it's all the more impressive. Does he have gaffs? Sometimes.

Jakey has a very weird hate for Murphy. One day we'll find out why.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That just proves you can be as nutty as anyone else :laugh:

Murph's defensive game is often a joy to watch, when you consider what he's up against and his age, it's all the more impressive. Does he have gaffs? Sometimes.

:laugh:Sometimes nuttier. I don't think Murphy has progressed one bit from two years ago. He has his moments, but very few. The only thing he has going for him is his age, so he may still improve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad