Confirmed with Link: David Quinn Dismissed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The whole five sides to Gallant's terminations fits right in with the whole five sides to firing Gorton/JD. See, it's a match made in heaven already!

Tongue-in-cheek comment aside for a second, we're basically down to Gallant's exist either being because he can't keep his mouth shut (which doesn't bode well for Dolan), or he didn't respond well to analytics (which doesn't jive with Drury says he wants to do).

Even if we take Florida off the table, you still have 2.5 year shelf lives in Columbus and Vegas. So either that's his spirit number, a hell of a coincidence, or he wears out his welcome sooner than later.

Not necessarily a deal breaker, but not someone I find myself thinking "Yeah, this is the guy."

Is clashing with management sending you lines that you should put on the ice based on analytics really an analytics issue or management overstepping their boundaries?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Having met Hartley a number of times, the reason he has a short shelf life is he's a hole.
Want nothing to do with this prick.
I have never met a coach so full of himself.
Wow, thats harsh but.....seems youre calling a spade, a spade.
Remember when Torts was suspended for chasing the officials down the runway when he was coaching Vancouver? Well, albeit NOT the most sane thing to do, thats the kind of coach I want in general. A fiery, "shows his players he is a human being, and gives a shit" thaat makes mistakes, but rights them.
Lessons to be learned.
Cam Atkinson went on record saying that he GREW not only as a player, but as a person. That resounds immensely.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
David Quinn driving for Uber already?

Uber boss interviewing Quinn;
So.....what makes you think you are qualified for this job?
Quinn; do you know who I am?
Uber; yes, I do. You were coach of the Rangers.
Quinn; okay great, speaks for itself.....right?
Uber; so again I ask.....what makes you think you are qualified?
You couldnt change lines properly, without getting a too many men penalty, so how will I know you know how to change the oil? Not to mention I heard you got lost going to MSG. With that said, I was going to hire you, but suddenly realized I am a Rangers fan.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
I was skeptical about the firings of Gallant at first, but seems that management overstep boundaries and they were winning when he was fired. The Vegas firings might had more to do with goaltending during that losing streak. Obviously I’m looking at things half full, but he might be our best choice here.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Is clashing with management sending you lines that you should put on the ice based on analytics really an analytics issue or management overstepping their boundaries?

Well that’s assuming that’s what actually happened, which still leaves questions about the other destinations as well.

But if the question is whether someone oversteps their boundaries, it’s still something to keep an eye on in this potential arrangement.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Well that’s assuming that’s what actually happened, which still leaves questions about the other destinations as well.

But if the question is whether someone oversteps their boundaries, it’s still something to keep an eye on in this potential arrangement.

That's fair though before potential playoff exit firings he does sound like the best option.

Reactions: Edge

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I assume if the Rangers are really interested they'll have done their homework and know the situation of his previous firings. If they dont' think they can work with him then they won't...

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The whole five sides to Gallant's terminations fits right in with the whole five sides to firing Gorton/JD. See, it's a match made in heaven already!

Tongue-in-cheek comment aside for a second, we're basically down to Gallant's exist either being because he can't keep his mouth shut (which doesn't bode well for Dolan), or he didn't respond well to analytics (which doesn't jive with Drury says he wants to do).

Even if we take Florida off the table, you still have 2.5 year shelf lives in Columbus and Vegas. So either that's his spirit number, a hell of a coincidence, or he wears out his welcome sooner than later.

Not necessarily a deal breaker, but not someone I find myself thinking "Yeah, this is the guy."
Out of the rumored names for the job, who actually does embrace advanced analytics? Guys like Hartley sure as shit don't.

The Rangers' eventual choice for coach is going to be very telling in terms of how much Dolan is really is pulling the strings behind the scenes. Based on what Drury supposedly wants to do, and up and coming rising star in the coaching world, or heck, even Kris Knoblouch make the most sense.

Rumored names are 100% Jim Dolan backed retreads.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Out of the rumored names for the job, who actually does embrace advanced analytics? Guys like Hartley sure as shit don't.

The Rangers' eventual choice for coach is going to be very telling in terms of how much Dolan is really is pulling the strings behind the scenes. Based on what Drury supposedly wants to do, and up and coming rising star in the coaching world, or heck, even Kris Knoblouch make the most sense.

who is up coming and rising star in the coaching world though? I'm not sure those exactly exist...and they want a guy with experience which at this point does make sense

If it was Dolan's call it sounds like he'd go Torts but from what we hear Torts isn't the first choice

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

If I'm being honest, I don't "love" any of the experienced choices out there. I can live with some easier than others --- and that includes Gallant.

I don't know if there's a Sheldon Keefe rising star type out there, or that the Rangers are inclined to go that direction.

I think under different circumstances, Knoblauch would be that guy. But coming on the heels of Quinn? I don't know.

There's part of me that could see a scenario where Knoblauch is treated like Drury was and maybe replaces our next coach. As strange as that is to type.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I would not rush for a coach.
Let someone win the job.
Eh, we can't really drag out feet for too long or another team could grab someone we want. Didn't we want someone else but they were taken quickly and we ended up with Quinn? For the life of me I can't remember who he was though.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
If I'm being honest, I don't "love" any of the experienced choices out there. I can live with some easier than others --- and that includes Gallant.

I don't know if there's a Sheldon Keefe rising star type out there, or that the Rangers are inclined to go that direction.

I think under different circumstances, Knoblauch would be that guy. But coming on the heels of Quinn? I don't know.

There's part of me that could see a scenario where Knoblauch is treated like Drury was and maybe replaces our next coach. As strange as that is to type.

That's for when we trade for McDavid in a couple years. We can't afford spend all our assets of Eichel this summer :naughty:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is the course of action I would take if I were Drury. Is Montgomery just not going to coach anymore? That would be a real shame. Great coach I’d take him above gallant but behind brindamour

The question with Montgomery is the addiction concern, and some incidents surrounding it. That's not meant as a judgement against Montgomery, so much as it's a question that a lot of teams are still working through right now.

I would imagine internally, there are probably some questions about how that plays in NYC. Right, wrong, or otherwise, I'd be surprised if it wasn't something that came up.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The question with Montgomery is the addiction concern, and some incidents surrounding it. That's not meant as a judgement against Montgomery, so much as it's a question that a lot of teams are still working through right now.

I would imagine internally, there are probably some questions about how that plays in NYC. Right, wrong, or otherwise, I'd be surprised if it wasn't something that came up.
I can see that, especially under the bright lights of NYC. I didn’t know If he said he didn’t want to coach or he’s just not an option because of things like this. I’m a big 2nd chance guy. But I understand if the rangers don’t want to risk it. The guy is a real good coach though. Besides brindamour, he’d be my preference. Gallant would be after him IMO

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Montgomery may be more than just a coach, though, it's probably an advisory role similiar to Sather being an advisor to Drury, because Montgomery just came off a committee advisory search that landed Ben Barr at Maine from U MASS, because of the connection between them at RPI.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Montgomery may be more than just a coach, though, it's probably an advisory role similiar to Sather being an advisor to Drury, because Montgomery just came off a committee advisory search that landed Ben Barr at Maine from U MASS, because of the connection between them at RPI.
From all accounts in Dallas his players loved him and loved playing for him. It was the alcohol addiction and potential skeletons in his closet which made the stars brass let him go. It’s shame because he’s a likable guy and good coach, he should be in the NHL. Hope he gets his shit figured out.
Either Brindamour, Gallant, Montgomery, Knoblauch, etc whoever I’m just looking for the next coach to get the most out of our guys a put them in positions to succeed. I think they will become closer as a unit that way and the team toughness factor goes up when you really work hard and care for your teammates on the ice.
The rangers haven’t had that blue collar work ethic with Quinn for at least a year and a half almost 2 years. It was time, he had to go even though he was loved by some

Last edited:

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004

If Dolan is deciding to take a more active role with the Rangers, do you really think there is any change the Rangers go with someone who is not a "name" coach?

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I am originally from Växjö and can say he is extremely popular in the city and has a really good reputation in the SHL. As already mentioned it would be a very big risk in aquiring him and bringing him to NHL.

One very interesting part of the story is that Chris Drury's nephew plays in the Växjö-team under Hallam. Jack Drury is praising Hallam as fantastic coach in the linked article below.

I would be utterly surprised if he was hired as a HC. If anything, I would guess he would start as an assistant coach if an NHL move happens. Most likely it is just a story to attract some attention.

Galna ryktet: Hallam aktuell för NHL-jobb
Bench coach?

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Member when hiring inexperienced new coaches was all the rage? And no one wanted a recycled good old boys club coach?
At the time it was a good move. Quinn did a good job here. All head coaches have a shelf life and Quinn's was up. He took us as far as he could in very unprecedented times. If Dury keeps Quinn for next season and they have a 3-6-1 start people would be screaming that he should have been fired in the last off-season. It's better this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad