Confirmed with Link: David Quinn Dismissed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I just really hope they make it clear to Gallant that analytics will be a big part of the team’s strategy going forward so there are no surprises down the line.

Other than that he is a solid pick for head coach and I would certainly see him having a positive effect on the group given his experience and previous results.

gallant has said that he's not against analytics and that isn't why he got fired in florida. he got fired cause he doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut and dave tallon is a moron lol

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
gallant has said that he's not against analytics and that isn't why he got fired in florida. he got fired cause he doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut and dave tallon is a moron lol

Actually according to Doug MacLean, Gallant was fired by Viola because he clashed with the analytics department because they would text him what lines to have based on their data:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The whole five sides to Gallant's terminations fits right in with the whole five sides to firing Gorton/JD. See, it's a match made in heaven already!

Tongue-in-cheek comment aside for a second, we're basically down to Gallant's exist either being because he can't keep his mouth shut (which doesn't bode well for Dolan), or he didn't respond well to analytics (which doesn't jive with Drury says he wants to do).

Even if we take Florida off the table, you still have 2.5 year shelf lives in Columbus and Vegas. So either that's his spirit number, a hell of a coincidence, or he wears out his welcome sooner than later.

Not necessarily a deal breaker, but not someone I find myself thinking "Yeah, this is the guy."

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Actually according to Doug MacLean, Gallant was fired by Viola because he clashed with the analytics department because they would text him what lines to have based on their data:

and gallant denies that...

plus florida was 11-10-1 when they fired him and lost 11 of the next 15 so maybe the problem was the analytic department

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Brind'amour is obviously a pipe dream, but's it's interesting that Carolina doesn't just lock it down. They are playing a dangerous game. The more success he has in the post season, the higher that price tag gets. Though I suppose he could be the one holding out. Just doesn't seem to read that way.

mac

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Brind'amour is obviously a pipe dream, but's it's interesting that Carolina doesn't just lock it down. They are playing a dangerous game. The more success he has in the post season, the higher that price tag gets. Though I suppose he could be the one holding out. Just doesn't seem to read that way.
Carolina is cheap. paying Brind'Amour only 2 mil is criminal. With no raise incite.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC

I've read the Vegas firing was over a dispute with the analytics department

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

My guess is that they're viewing this playoffs as the "show me" aspect of negotiations.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
well drury said he will be big on analytics so he isn't going to hire a coach who is against them. but he also knows that its only part of the puzzle...

the biggest complaint all year about DQ was his 'feel for the game' and mid-game adjustments. so while analytics are important, i don't think a coach that just does what they tell him is what we want either

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
My guess is that they're viewing this playoffs as the "show me" aspect of negotiations.

I mean, who are they gonna replace him with though? There is a decent market forming, the competition for a cost effective replacement is high. Can you imagine if management let him go to NY? The fans, the players, the media would absolutely drag the FO through the mud if they replaced him with a dollar store counterpart.

Unless it's a clever motivation tactic, in which case that's pretty smart. Expensive, but clever.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Gallant similar to AV? For better and worse.

Gallant is a great coach who has a track record of players taking big steps with him. And his teams are analytics darlings.

AV is a terrible coach who has a track record of throwing players under the bus and making questionable lineup decisions. And his teams get absolutely crushed analytically; by design.

I wouldn't put the two on the same level at all. Not worried that Gallant could possibly be that bad.

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
Gallant is a great coach who has a track record of players taking big steps with him. And his teams are analytics darlings.

AV is a terrible coach who has a track record of throwing players under the bus and making questionable lineup decisions. And his teams get absolutely crushed analytically; by design.

I wouldn't put the two on the same level at all. Not worried that Gallant could possibly be that bad.

Which leads to the question - if one of the criteria Drury is looking for is good analytics and Gallant's teams consistently deliver good analytics, does it really matter whether or not Gallant personally "believes" in them?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chytilmania and fm

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Which leads to the question - if one of the criteria Drury is looking for is good analytics and Gallant's teams consistently deliver good analytics, does is really matter whether or not Gallant personally "believes" in them?

It shouldn't, nope.

If I'm an analytics guy and I know Gallant doesn't want my input, but he's still putting up top5 in the league numbers... I mean, why not just leave him be.

Reactions: Chytilmania
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->