Confirmed with Link: David Quinn Dismissed

Status
Not open for further replies.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Wait so you want the coach to not have any standards of play? Get serious my guy.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Not surprised Spooner washed out of the league if he "couldn't focus on playing hockey" with such complex instructions as skate hard and go to the net. Poor guy.

My first thought too lol

I don't like the idea of micro-managing stars, but if Spooner had been able to integrate some of those lessons, maybe he wouldn't have been a part of one of our most lop-sided trades ever.

Reactions: egelband

effen

Feb 3, 2018
My first thought too lol

I don't like the idea of micro-managing stars, but if Spooner had been able to integrate some of those lessons, maybe he wouldn't have been a part of one of our most lop-sided trades ever.
Literally none of those things happened in any extreme manner that I can recall. Particularly any excessive crashing of the net, lmao, since f***ing when. Certainly not Spooner, who lived on the half wall.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Quinn had obvious faults, but do we really care what Spooner has to say? He played like 30 games under Quinn and got traded twice in short succession. He’s now flamed out of the NHL because he’s useless in today’s game. Is he really going to give the most objective answers here? Especially since he primarily played in Quinn’s first year when we all know he was getting terrible results with a terrible roster.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Spooner's info on Quinn is nothing new. Larry Brooks implied in his articles all throughout the season that Quinn is rigid and detail-oriented. He called him the loudest person in New York or something to that extent.

Here's an analogy; as we develop our social skills in a professional and personal setting, things to a certain extent have to be natural and there needs to be a flow and rhythm. You can't have someone freak out at you over every interaction even if it isn't a 10/10. I've known people who are like that and it's terrible for the development of others.

He's right that things to a large extent need to be natural and you can't freak out over every detail. Too rigid and if things don't go exactly your way how do you adapt? The later we ALL on this board know was a question Quinn was NEVER able to answer.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I like the idea Quinn was too detail oriented while simultaneously having an incredibly boilerplate, basic general style that was like 75% cliches come to life. Like oh man, he wants us to skate ALL THE WAY to the front of the net, won't let us get away with 95% of the way, wish he'd let up a little.

A much better criticism would be how a lot of his style was pre-04/05 lockout and outclassed by newer puck pressure tactics.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
No stickhandling on a 2-on-1?

seriously, what a dipshit rule.
I think busting your ass to back check is important but it's not like a black and white rule. If you are late and it's 3 on 3 in your end, you might actually be better off closing the lane on the late D or watching where the play is developing to intercept a pass.

Reactions: Off Sides

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Regardless of the source, it does make sense to me. Quinn always seemed like an assistant, just from the things he stressed.

It's the assistants that are generally focused on smaller details and working with players closely on a micro level. The head coach is thinking about tactics, usage, and getting the team prepared to play an entire game (as opposed to stressing about a singular moment). Quinn failed at all of those things.

A player should be out there during games thinking about what his assignment is in a given context, not looking a certain way while he's skating or stickhandling. Practice is where you take a player and say "hey, try this, try that."

Quinn talked about "intentions" and loved Brett Howden because he cared about players *looking* like that were doing something more than what they were actually doing.

You can say Spooner is a bad player all you want, but if you don't understand what he was saying, I don't know what coach you just watched for three years.

Last edited:

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Regardless of the source, it does make sense to me. Quinn always seemed like an assistant, just from the things he stressed.

It's the assistants that are generally focused on smaller details and working with players closely on a micro level. The head coach is thinking about tactics, usage, and getting the team prepared to play an entire game (as opposed to stressing about a singular moment). Quinn failed at all of those things.

A player should be out there during games thinking about what his assignment is in a given context, not looking a certain way while he's skating or stickhandling. Practice is where you take a player and say "hey, try this, try that."

Quinn talked about "intentions" and loved Brett Howden because he cared about players *looking* like that were doing something more than what they were actually doing.

You can say Spooner is a bad player all you want, but if you don't understand what he was saying, I don't know what coach you just watched for three years.

I could take or leave Quinn but he had an incomplete team, one of the youngest teams during that time, his whole tenure here. The next coach is inheritting a much better team than Quinn ever had here. I think he deserved to get to christmas this year with a team that more resembles a playoff team to show what he could do with a more complete team with a proper offseason and training camp, but having said that I've always said if it was Gallant coming in I'd can Quinn. Im not a fan of getting rid of Gorton, thats different to me. Spooner's opinion means very little to me, he probably should have listened to Quinn and gave more effort and drive the net, he'd probably still be in the nhl.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I could take or leave Quinn but he had an incomplete team, one of the youngest teams during that time, his whole tenure here. The next coach is inheritting a much better team than Quinn ever had here. I think he deserved to get to christmas this year with a team that more resembles a playoff team to show what he could do with a more complete team with a proper offseason and training camp, but having said that I've always said if it was Gallant coming in I'd can Quinn. Im not a fan of getting rid of Gorton, thats different to me. Spooner's opinion means very little to me, he probably should have listened to Quinn and gave more effort and drive the net, he'd probably still be in the nhl.
The next coach is going to have a much better team in September than Quinn had in May?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Quinn didn't deserve shit. He sealed his fate when the team got outscored 12-1 in three must win games against the Islanders.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
If you compress the audio on that interview with Spooner with a TL-133 codec and scrubbed the background static through a reconfigurator and corrected the oversync with a mono volume desynthesizer, you would produce a clear audio stream recording of Kaapo Kakko saying "He just kept telling me don't do this, don't do that, so I just stopped trying to play the hockey, you know" from last summer.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I just don’t understand the continued defense of this guy. I can absolutely understand not pinning the totality of the end result on him, and am in agreement with regard to the team being incomplete, but this guy was always a placeholder and brought nothing unique or special to the table. Why continue to defend him?

I think what he did have that was really good was one a closeness to the players and a lot of communication — don’t for a second like that distanced approach many coaches have. He also had a ton of energy which was good for a team out of contention, he wouldn’t back of but instead keep players on their toes. His flaws were way to big to ever get a NHL HC job.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The reason Quinn became a total cancer for this organization was a combination of him (a) only knowing how to coach college kids, including all the bad habits you can afford at that level being the head of a top recruitment program, were it is more about just getting rid of bad habits and (b) being very protective/insecure vis-a-vis the players and vindictive. The coach is the coach, but all elite players today are very smart and each and everyone of them are great students of the game. And look, Quinn isn’t these guys’ first coach. If you have been coached by Quenville and played in professional environment being super focused on optimizing your game, it will stick out if someone comes in and micro manage things at a much much lower level than you are used to.

So you get a coach who comes in and put a ton of focus on not doing a, b and c, the players of course buys in but it’s problematic because some things are just contra productive, not black and white, and meanwhile he just don’t do a good job at all coaching the team and preparing it for playing hockey.

It sucks to have Gorton fired, it really does. But like, the fact that he kept Quinn on was more or less a “fireable offense”. Something is really really wrong with the organization that this guy could be hired and keep his job. From top to bottom, we just must become much much more professional. And look, DQ wasn’t the only thing that was totally unacceptable. Gorton oversaw HFD that was a total mess. That we rushed Lias Andersson to the NHL and mistreated him the way we did, wow. Did we ruin him? He would have been a bad pick no matter what, but he should have been a rookie this year. Not three years ago. Mind boggling. And there have been many many other instances.

Professionally form top to bottom is what is required.

Reactions: Synergy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad