Confirmed with Link: David Quinn Dismissed

Status
Not open for further replies.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Regardless of the source, it does make sense to me. Quinn always seemed like an assistant, just from the things he stressed.

It's the assistants that are generally focused on smaller details and working with players closely on a micro level. The head coach is thinking about tactics, usage, and getting the team prepared to play an entire game (as opposed to stressing about a singular moment). Quinn failed at all of those things.

A player should be out there during games thinking about what his assignment is in a given context, not looking a certain way while he's skating or stickhandling. Practice is where you take a player and say "hey, try this, try that."

Quinn talked about "intentions" and loved Brett Howden because he cared about players *looking* like that were doing something more than what they were actually doing.

You can say Spooner is a bad player all you want, but if you don't understand what he was saying, I don't know what coach you just watched for three years.
Head coaches, hall of famers, love love love to get in the lab with their players and fine tune their games. They enjoy it way more than the games. You wouldn't believe the attention to detail that they have.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Head coaches, hall of famers, love love love to get in the lab with their players and fine tune their games. They enjoy it way more than the games. You wouldn't believe the attention to detail that they have.
Sure, but they also have an overarching plan. Quinn was a fine-tuner with a basic, predictable system.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Ironically I thought letting the players play was his greatest strength.
well thats because he didnt have the balls to bench Mika and Panarin when they straight up ignored him. Kakko and Laf? He did not let them play their games and it was clear as day to anyone watching. I wouldnt be surprised if these guys take off next year.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I just don’t understand the continued defense of this guy. I can absolutely understand not pinning the totality of the end result on him, and am in agreement with regard to the team being incomplete, but this guy was always a placeholder and brought nothing unique or special to the table. Why continue to defend him?
but there are no quinn defenders on this board :dunce:

Reactions: Synergy27

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Synopsis?
It’s a minute long clip. It is a synopsis.

But anyhow, Spooner says Quinn (assuming it’s Quinn he’s talking about) demanded players don’t
Stick handle on a 2-on-1 and back check hard to their spot before deciding what to do.

Actually sounds reasonable and Spooner sounds lost in space considering he was first out out of the league.

Maybe, likely, there’s more to his and other players complaints but what he’s saying doesn’t exactly bury Quinn.

Last edited:
Reactions: mas0764

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

But anyhow, Spooner says Quinn (assuming it’s Quinn he’s talking about) demanded players don’t
Stick handle on a 2-on-1 and back check hard to their spot before deciding what to do.

Actually sounds reasonable and Spooner sounds lost in space considering he was first out out of the league.

Maybe, likely, there’s more to his and other players complaints but what he’s saying doesn’t exactly bury Quinn.
Quinn has many faults and most of them were clear just watching the team. I don’t really put any stock into what Spooner has to say - someone who just flamed out their career likely isn’t going to be objective about their bosses throughout that decline

Reactions: egelband

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The problem with Spooner speaking up is he sucked in Edmonton and Vancouver to follow. And it had to have been about Quinn as he was the only recent NHL coach he played for that was a Rookie HC.

But I can certainly see the micromanaging obsession from Quinn that could rub players the wrong way or suffocate the raw skill/talent the players possess. There is nothing wrong with wanting players to play defense and be responsible, but it is how you go about it, how you set expectations. You get inside these young kids heads and now all the sudden their natural god given talent isn’t blossoming or shining through because they are hesitating and second guessing out there. Kakko spoke up last offseason. I don’t doubt there was an effect on Lafreniere’s offensive output, which was also not helped by ice time management and role.

Its all good though. Its a new dawn. There will be a new voice. And hopefully this team will play with an identity.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
The problem with Spooner speaking up is he sucked in Edmonton and Vancouver to follow. And it had to have been about Quinn as he was the only recent NHL coach he played for that was a Rookie HC.

But I can certainly see the micromanaging obsession from Quinn that could rub players the wrong way or suffocate the raw skill/talent the players possess. There is nothing wrong with wanting players to play defense and be responsible, but it is how you go about it, how you set expectations. You get inside these young kids heads and now all the sudden their natural god given talent isn’t blossoming or shining through because they are hesitating and second guessing out there. Kakko spoke up last offseason. I don’t doubt there was an effect on Lafreniere’s offensive output, which was also not helped by ice time management and role.

Its all good though. Its a new dawn. There will be a new voice. And hopefully this team will play with an identity.

Stromer pushed back in a presser on Quinn needing to let the top guys do their thing and not butt heads with their approach on how they want to create offense. That's as respectable and honest of a guy on our team to listen to. Seems like whether it's a young players like Kakko, the tormented soul of Ryan Spooner waiting at the River Styx, or Strome, the message was the same. The offense got worse as Quinn's tenure worn on.

The 9 goal outburst and 8 goal outburst against Philly was no coincidence. Guys could stick handle more than 1 time up the ice.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I think I want Babcock for this team. No rationale behind it. Just a hunch.

Not a chance, Babcock still thinks this is 2008 where he can get away with playing Red Wings hockey anchored by 3 of the best players of all time (Lindstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg).

Just seeing how much Matthews has gone sicko mode since he's been fired should be hint enough to stay as far away as possible

Reactions: haveandare

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly

They aren't unreasonable, but the proper play depends on the situation. So they shouldn't be hard and fast rules.

Backcheck hard to your spot and stop. Let's say you are defending against a rush and your man is coasting behind the play and looking for an opening. You have now opened up a larger gap between you and your man, and he blows past you when you stop.

No stickhandling on a 2-on-1. In the Kakko goal I posted in this thread, a stickhandle opens up the passing lane, and another stickhandle gets the puck around the goalie and into the net. No stickhandling means that play probably dies on Lafreniere's stick.

Maybe these types are rules are more helpful in college, but at the professional level, the players should have enough situational awareness to make a call within broader guidelines. I think that was Spooner's point.

EDIT: I could also be convinced that these things (skate hard on the backcheck, crash the net, don't overhandle the puck) were lessons Quinn was trying to drill into Spooner's head specifically, and not necessarily team rules.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
Is it just me or have people soured on Gallant recently?

I don't know why. The only person I would really want more than Gallant is Brind'Amour, but I'm honestly not sure why. Gallant has done more than Brind'Amour with about the same level teams. Coach Q would be okay too, but I feel that he's more established as a coach whereas Gallant has more room to grow with the team.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Is it just me or have people soured on Gallant recently?

I don't know why. The only person I would really want more than Gallant is Brind'Amour, but I'm honestly not sure why. Gallant has done more than Brind'Amour with about the same level teams. Coach Q would be okay too, but I feel that he's more established as a coach whereas Gallant has more room to grow with the team.
I want Sullivan if he becomes available. Wait a few days more, good chance he does.

My list right now, subject to change, is:

Sullivan
Gallant
Hartley
Torts
Roy
Knoblauch
Babcock
Tocchet

I am torn on Torts and Hartley both in flipping there spots and even just them as coaches in general.

No way Brindamour or Quennville are let go

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
I want Sullivan if he becomes available. Wait a few days more, good chance he does.

Too many red flags from Penguins fans IMO.

I wouldn't be sad if the Rangers hired him though (whereas I would be sad if the Rangers hired anyone on that list after Gallant)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Stromer pushed back in a presser on Quinn needing to let the top guys do their thing and not butt heads with their approach on how they want to create offense. That's as respectable and honest of a guy on our team to listen to. Seems like whether it's a young players like Kakko, the tormented soul of Ryan Spooner waiting at the River Styx, or Strome, the message was the same. The offense got worse as Quinn's tenure worn on.

The 9 goal outburst and 8 goal outburst against Philly was no coincidence. Guys could stick handle more than 1 time up the ice.

I'd like to ask Strome how well the "do their thing" worked against the Islanders.

Beating up on bad defensive teams doesn't prove anything.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
You’ve never heard the word dipshit before, lol?

Maybe in your circle it’s fine to through it around like nothing but not in mine, sorry.

Generally it is cowardly to use words hiding behind a screen which you will never use directly facing the person, but what do I know...

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
We already know how Avery feels about Torts. We’re also talking about coaches. Not sure what ADA/Gorts has anything to do with the conversation.

If I need to spell it out for you, the point is credibility, validity and objectivity of the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad