David Pastrnak: Forgotten Star?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
That says more about the Bruins organization than it does Pastrnak or Nylander. If the Bruins were bold enough to have Pastrnak play for them right away and it worked, good for them. That doesn't put him above Nylander. Most organizations would've chosen not to play Pastrnak right away. And Boston probably would've chosen to play other prospects right away.

Nor does scoring 26 points last year in his 2nd NHL season put him above Nylander. I know I'm not particularly impressed by 26 points in 51 games in a sophomore season. Is 26 points in his 2nd season supposed to convince me he's above Nylander? When the only reason Nylander didn't have a similar chance is because the Leafs intentionally kept him down in a tanking year?

Although I wasn't particularly impressed with Pastrnak last year, I am impressed by him this year. Except it's been 15 games. Not enough to put him above Nylander. I'll evaluate again after a larger sample size.

Hey, if you think Pastrnak is better, more power to you. I do find it funny, though, that you fans could've compared Pastrnak to anyone, but insist on comparing him to Nylander only.

So you must not have been very impressed with Nylanders 2015/16 season then? Considering he put up only 13 points in 22 games in the NHL and had comparable AHL number to Pastrnak's 18 year old season.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Dude, you have a really, REALLY hard time accepting that you're wrong here.

You're right. Nylander and Pastrnak were drafted 4 years ago. 4 years in, a career high of 25 points, and Pastrnak is a star...

McDavid was drafted 3 years ago.

Matthews and Laine were drafted 2 years ago.

Who went #1 overall 1 year ago in your mind? ........................

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
You're right. Nylander and Pastrnak were drafted 4 years ago. 4 years in, a career high of 25 points, and Pastrnak is a star...

Omfg, can you just let it be? Are the million Nylander threads not enough for you? This is about Pastrnak, he is a good player, he is enjoying a nice season so far, and yes, his numbers might mean for some fans that he is an equal talent or even better as your beloved swede. There are certain points that lead to this opinion. Get over it.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I don't see partial 50 game seasons as anything indicative of on pace. Lots of players score at a 0.5 or 0.6 PPG pace over a partial season. He hasn't ever hit 40 points. I'd like to see him produce over a full season before putting him above the others with a higher pre-draft pedigree like Nylander, Ehlers and Reinhart.

This isn't a case of Yakupov no longer being best of his class. Yakupov has already proven to be not as good as others in his class. That's not the case with Pastrnak and his class.

The point is that in any sample we have, Nylander has never performed better than Pastrnak in anything. For that reason, if there's one that should prove that he is better than the other, that is Nylander. Simply put, Pastrnak has accomplished more (three times the games played, made the team from age 18, equal or better ppg in any sample, significantly better +/-, current season sees him with more points than Nylander in less games).

Pre-draft pedigree means squat. Plenty of players who got taken in great spots and were not as good as advertised and plenty of folks who were taken later, even much later like Benn/Zetterberg for example, who became top players.

That says more about the Bruins organization than it does Pastrnak or Nylander. If the Bruins were bold enough to have Pastrnak play for them right away and it worked, good for them. That doesn't put him above Nylander. Most organizations would've chosen not to play Pastrnak right away. And Boston probably would've chosen to play other prospects right away.

Nor does scoring 26 points last year in his 2nd NHL season put him above Nylander. I know I'm not particularly impressed by 26 points in 51 games in a sophomore season. Is 26 points in his 2nd season supposed to convince me he's above Nylander? When the only reason Nylander didn't have a similar chance is because the Leafs intentionally kept him down in a tanking year?

Although I wasn't particularly impressed with Pastrnak last year, I am impressed by him this year. Except it's been 15 games. Not enough to put him above Nylander. I'll evaluate again after a larger sample size.

Hey, if you think Pastrnak is better, more power to you. I do find it funny, though, that you fans could've compared Pastrnak to anyone, but insist on comparing him to Nylander only.

Oh please... If Pastrnak made the team at 18, it's simply because he deserved it (the proof is in the pudding: Pastrnak always looked like an NHL player from minute 1). The Bruins try to ice the best team possible with the objective of winning a Cup. A young kid will play only if they feel he can be part of such a project, if not they will keep him in junior or in the AHL until he is ready. Have you forgotten how little time a certain guy named Seguin was playing in his rookie season? Seguin got 11g + 11a in a whole season.

Mully

Oct 7, 2008
Halifax, NS

Just wanted to chime in here after reading this thread. The person you keep harping on about the 4 year thing was clearly talking about the last time they played together, and NOT the year they were drafted. You are banging your head on the wall for no reason.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Nylander and Pasta, hope they both have great careers.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Just wanted to chime in here after reading this thread. The person you keep harping on about the 4 year thing was clearly talking about the last time they played together, and NOT the year they were drafted. You are banging your head on the wall for no reason.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Nylander and Pasta, hope they both have great careers.

And that still doesn't make it 4 years. :dunno:

I dunno about this whole banging head thing. I'm enjoying watching how many Bruins and Wings fans tell me I'm wrong that the draft/last time they played together was 4 years ago...

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Hold your horses? There is one 4 page Pastrnak thread in like 18 months, while the boards are plastered with weekly Nylander threads since the draft, who did nothing to warrant more attention than Pastrnak except by being drafted by a franchise with a hysteric fanbase, and we Bruins fans need to hold our horses? Yeah

This, so much this. Though I can understand the frustration. It's gotta be tough to see a divisional rival snag a better/comparable player at 25 that you could at 8.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

I dunno about this whole banging head thing. I'm enjoying watching how many Bruins and Wings fans tell me I'm wrong that the draft/last time they played together was 4 years ago...

I'm a Bruins fan and I'm embarrassed by anybody trying to say it was 4 years ago. You're right but you're better off just dropping it because arguing with people who can't count isn't worth it.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Depends what you're comparing Pastrnak to. I'd say he's shown enough to be considered above a bunch of players picked before him. But not above the likes of Nylander and other top picks who have done nothing to lower their stock as of yet.

Just hold your horses and wait until he actually beats his career high of 25~ points.

I've seen every game Pastrnak, Seguin, and Kessel ever played for the Bruins. Sorry to break it to you but, barring significant injury, Pastrnak is going to end up in that tier of player. **** your horses.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

He's played in the NHL and proved he belonged as an 18 year old. Until Nylander proves he's better (he certainly might this season) then at this particular moment Pastrnak is the better player. I don't know why that's such a ridiculous comment to you. If you're arguing who's better in the future, that's a different story and whole other argument.

For the record, I didn't compare the two, I just joined in after someone else had done so, they are two very different players in my opinion. Nylander will probably get a high point total, Pastrnak the higher goal total.

Mully

Oct 7, 2008
Halifax, NS

For the record I agree with you, it's only been 3 years by my count but maybe I suck at math. Anyway I just wanted to point out it isn't the draft they were talking about.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
For the record I agree with you, it's only been 3 years by my count but maybe I suck at math. Anyway I just wanted to point out it isn't the draft they were talking about.

My post #88 shows the time they played together it was half a year in the 2013/14 season. Counting this year that is 3 season's ago, why it went on after my post, I dunno.

NHL Drafts 2014= Ekblad.....2015= McDavid.....2016= Matthews

Pastrnak...........................................................Nylander
Drafted by Boston Bruins..............................................Drafted by Toronto Maple Leafs
- round 1 #25 overall 2014 NHL Entry Draft......round 1 #8 overall 2014 NHL Entry Draft

-2013/14 Sodertalje SK (suffered concussion).........................Sodertalje SK/Rogle BK
-2014/15 AHL then Boston...................................................Toronto Marlies
-2015/16 Boston, injured twice, 3 game stint in the AHL...........Toronto Marlies/Leafs
-2016/17 Bruins..................................................................Leafs

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Was hoping to get more information on how Pasta is playing...but it turns out that its more important to compare him to Nylander and the rest of his draft class instead.

Love the kid, hope he's a "star" for you guys

Check the 1st 3 pages before the Nylander info dominated Pasta's thread. Like there is not enough press about Nylander out there, lol. My post # 86 tells you about Pasta's history from age 16 to 18. He is playing fantastic so far, under-rated on the defensive side of things. Gets his stick in the way of passes. Darts to holes for one timers and is not afraid of guys, he is stronger and has a great attitide. Pasta plays on the top line and is getting powerplay time finally. He is not afraid to make risky moves which makes him stand out in the conservative Bruins style.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm not sure you can call him a star just yet given he's played two half seasons before this one. It's just not enough for people and the media to take notice. If he ends up with 40 goals and/or 80+ points this year people will certainly take notice. What's hurt him is that he's not one of those sexy top picks which get all the spotlight. A guy like Larkin gets just as much attention bevause people drool over every Wings pick whether it's justified or not.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
The notion Pastrnak only made the Bruins as a rookie because the Bruins had no other options is uneducated and lazy. He made the Bruins and added some serious energy to the team from his first shift which is something even Seguin couldn't do.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Ehlers, Draisitl,Larkin have all shown they can procude 40+ points over 70+ games.

Can we wait before saying Pastrnak is the best player from the 2014 draft?

Same date last year Matt Zucarrello and Mike Cammaleri had 18 pts in 18 games

Good post. I like both those guys a lot so if Pastrnak is in that group long term I'm ecstatic.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

From a guy who started a thread that wanted to pull Cam Neely out of the HOF as unworthy but leave Bob Pulford in. And I like Pullford but you just have been down graded over this.

What's next Norm Ullman better than Phil Esposito. Jim Dorey over Ted Green. Paul Henderson over Ken Hodge.

Keon was my guy and I loved Johnny Bower but taking out Neely and leaving Bob Pulford in is outrageous - who's next Wendell Clark? Rick Vaive? George Armstrong?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Scored the only goal for the Bruins last night.
Scored the only goal for the Bruins tonight.

This kid is so good he is scoring the highest % of his teams goals in the NHL. He scores a higher % of the Bruins goals than Ovechkin does for the Caps.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
24.5% of the Boston Bruins goals have been scored by this kid...

...and that is including the fact that he has missed 5 of the Bruins games. 12 goals in 16 games. 12 of the Bruins 49 goals.

kule41

Mar 26, 2008
Liked what I saw from him when he was first called up to the NHL. Lucky for me I got him on my fantasy team and he is doing wonders. From what I seen, he takes a lot of shots on net per game. What is his S%?

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Liked what I saw from him when he was first called up to the NHL. Lucky for me I got him on my fantasy team and he is doing wonders. From what I seen, he takes a lot of shots on net per game. What is his S%?
23.5%, 4 of the top 5 goal scorers are shooting at 20% at the moment. He will cool off no doubt but I can't see him not getting 30 this year if he stays healthy. He needs 18 goals in 61 games.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
If he can score 40 goals, that would be the first time Czech player did since 05/06 Jagr's season. That would be just awesome. :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad