David Pastrnak: Forgotten Star?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They played together in Sweden, and general opinion is Nylander was better. Reflected in their draft position, too.

Better question is what has Pastrnak done to suggest he's ahead of ANY of those players on that list of 7. Perhaps wait more than 14 games.

Their draft was almost 4 years ago. A LOT can change between then and now, unless you still think Yakupov is the best of his draft?

Pastrnak has been playing in the NHL while Nylander has been in the AHL, so there's that.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Their draft was almost 4 years ago. A LOT can change between then and now, unless you still think Yakupov is the best of his draft?

Pastrnak has been playing in the NHL while Nylander has been in the AHL, so there's that.

2 years ago. Pastrnak has yet to prove himself over a full season. Neither has Nylander, but he's a top 10 pick and top 10 picks on average generally get the benefit of the doubt, until proven otherwise. Those outside the top 10 need to prove themselves more first.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Pastrnak has that "electricity" when he carries the puck. The guy gets people out of their seats...

I've noticed that he has a pretty filthy one timer too over the past few games. Not afraid to unload, that's for sure.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
2 years ago. Pastrnak has yet to prove himself over a full season. Neither has Nylander, but he's a top 10 pick and top 10 picks on average generally get the benefit of the doubt, until proven otherwise. Those outside the top 10 need to prove themselves more first.

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017... going on 4 years since they played together.

Pastrnak has 111 games played I believe, more than a full season.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You brought up the draft. Their draft was 2 years ago.

2017? We're not even done with 2016. :laugh:

Yes, like i said by the end of this season it'll be 4 years since they last played together.

Did not play together during Pastrnaks rookie, 2nd and now 3rd season... so have not played together for 4 years. I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

Last edited:

spg2000

Mar 2, 2013
Pastrnak is off to an awesome start this season, basically exactly how Bruins fans had hoped he'd play. His skillset is clearly very high level, and he's using it very effectively. There's not a lot to criticize right now. He's been a difference maker for the offense and a lot of fun to watch.

Personally I have two main worries with him moving forward:

1. He's not a Claude Julien type of guy. He's played better defensively so far this season, but the Bruins have had a difficult time fitting in players like Pastrnak in the past. Hopefully they can find a way to take advantage of his talent.

2. Pastrnak staying healthy. He's clearly bigger and stronger this year, but he's regularly on the receiving end of some big hits. He needs to work on his sense of awareness or play a little more conservatively or something. Get a little more elusive, learn how to avoid getting blasted so often.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Pastrnak has gotten stronger, not getting knocked off the puck as much, which gives him more confidence. And he is only going to get stronger. Chiarelli had finally gotten better at drafting.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They played together in Sweden, and general opinion is Nylander was better. Reflected in their draft position, too.

Better question is what has Pastrnak done to suggest he's ahead of ANY of those players on that list of 7. Perhaps wait more than 14 games.

The better question is what of those 7 (excluding Ekblad) done at the NHL level to warrant being ranked right now today ahead of Pastrnak?

Your basing your assumptions on brand name value and draft pedigree. A lot can change in the 2+ years since the 2014 draft. Development curves aren't a straight line.

You can probably make a logical argument for all 6 being the best of the bunch.

But here's a fact for you. Even though purely based on Goals and Assist, they are relatively equal, Draisitl, Nylander, Reinhart, and Ehlers have NEVER played games that matter down the stretch run in March/April. Larkin has done that once, last year. Pastrnak has been a Top 6 winger for two stretch drives now.

Boston's top point producer post trade deadline 2015 - David Pastrnak

Boston's top goal scorer post trade deadline 2016 (tied with Eriksson) - David Pastrnak

Let's see what Ehlers, Reinhart, Nylander, and Draisitl do in games that actually matter before proclaiming them better than Pastrnak.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The thing I really like about Pasta is his attitude.

Very very hard for an offensive young player to thrive under Julien.

Pasta was scratched a few times for defensive lapses early on -- no sulking, no whining. Instead he's continued to play uptempo offense while at the same time clearly worked on and improved his defensive game.

I'm not one to worry about ranking players. I will say I am glad he's in Boston though. Easy to get excited when he steps on ice. In Boston, that's a nice thing.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Yes, like i said by the end of this season it'll be 4 years since they last played together.

Did not play together during Pastrnaks rookie, 2nd and now 3rd season... so have not played together for 4 years. I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

When you're wrong, you're wrong. You don't have to try so hard. 4 years is not 2 years. Simple.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
When you're wrong, you're wrong. You don't have to try so hard. 4 years is not 2 years. Simple.

Would you like me to explain it again?

During the 2013/14 season they played together. During 14/15 they did not. During 15/16 they did not. Now during 16/17 they are not.

Care to explain how they played together in the last 2 seasons?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Would you like me to explain it again?

During the 2013/14 season they played together. During 14/15 they did not. During 15/16 they did not. Now during 16/17 they are not.

Care to explain how they played together in the last 2 seasons?

No, not really. This thread has gone on long enough. 2 years already.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No, not really. This thread has gone on long enough. 2 years already.

So you can't, gotcha.

Regardless, when there has been 3 seasons since their draft years, draft position begins to be irrelevant compared to actual NHL performance.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

So Nylander doesn't need to prove himself because he's atop ten pick? Okay!!!! One played in the NHL and the other one didn't.

FONZIE

AYYYYYY!!!!
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Moved to Wisconsin
I picked on him a few times last season for being a bit light on his skates, but WOW, has he improved this year. Best one-timer on the Bruins in years! Has a longer than average hockey stick, but he rips the shots quick and heavy.

His skating style reminds me of early Seguin. Sometimes it seems his feet get out in front of him like the rest of his body is always trying to catch up.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
In other words, subtract 2016 minus 2014, and tell me again that it equals 4.

If your answer is more than one word, re-read the thread before replying back to me.

In the most literal sense that has nothing to do with anything, sure it's been 2 (very soon to be 3).

The last season they played together which was your original point as to why Nylander is better, it's been 4. But that was a good try.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad