David Pastrnak: Forgotten Star?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
With all the talk of Nylander, Draisaitl, Ekblad, Larkin, etc. It seems that lost in the 2014 draft is David Pastrnak.

As an 18 year old new to NA ice he puts up PPG in the AHL and puts up a 40 pts pace in the NHL.

After an injury riddled 19 year old season he is now back to PPG as a 20 year old playing on a less than offensive team in Boston.

What do you see him as in the future? Seems like a real threat to be a ppg guy through his career. Could he end up being the 2nd (or 1st) best player in the 2014 draft? Seems like quite a steal for the Bruins at the end of the 1st round.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
With all the talk of Nylander, Draisaitl, Ekblad, Larkin, etc. It seems that lost in the 2014 draft is David Pastrnak.

As an 18 year old new to NA ice he puts up PPG in the AHL and puts up a 40 pts pace in the NHL.

After an injury riddled 19 year old season he is now back to PPG as a 20 year old playing on a less than offensive team in Boston.

What do you see him as in the future? Seems like a real threat to be a ppg guy through his career. Could he end up being the 2nd (or 1st) best player in the 2014 draft? Seems like quite a steal for the Bruins at the end of the 1st round.
Everybody know about Pasta, you just ruined it. He's not a Forgotten Star no more.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
He has been quite impressive in all the games I have seen him play. I don't know his upside or want to compare him to others, but he really seems to be very skilled and effective the dozen or so times I saw him play.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He has been quite impressive in all the games I have seen him play. I don't know his upside or want to compare him to others, but he really seems to be very skilled and effective the dozen or so times I saw him play.

Agreed. The only thing that would keep me from moving Larkin for Pastrnak would be how pathetic our C depth is. He's seemed like the best player of the 2014 draft after Ekblad IMO.

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
Ehlers, Draisitl,Larkin have all shown they can procude 40+ points over 70+ games.

Can we wait before saying Pastrnak is the best player from the 2014 draft?

Same date last year Matt Zucarrello and Mike Cammaleri had 18 pts in 18 games

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Ehlers, Draisitl,Larkin have all shown they can procude 40+ points over 70+ games.

All of those players were known known, whereas Pasta was shining under the umbrella until OP brought it out.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

True, but there has been nothing to suggest that Pastrnak wouldn't have done that since he was 18, the talent has more than been there. He's also played over a seasons worth of games now too, so it's not like he's unproven.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Bruins fans have known Pasta had a stars ceiling since his first development camp. I picked him to lead the team in goals last year before he was slowed down by the injuries. This year he bulked up quite a bit and he's playing on a line that has the puck more than almost any other line. I don't think he's scoring 68 goals likes he's on pace for but 90 goals is a somewhat liberal but justifiable expectation for goals out of that line, assuming everyone stays healthy

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
His added bulk has helped him on the board battles and the other things needed to earn more minutes.

What has really surprised me is how much his one timer has improved with the added muscle. He is a better all around player than Seguin was at the same age.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Something I've noticed this year from the few games I've seen is he seems to have gained a mean streak. Is this something he's always had?

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Given stats and performance so far, there is no reason he shouldn't be considered on par with Larkin/Draisatl/Larkin. He has a better NHL resume than all of them and for the short stint he was in the AHL absolutely destroyed it. He's consistently produced in his time in the NHL and is only getting better.

He's T-2nd in NHL goals at the moment, but with 3 games less played than first place (one goal behind) and the other person tied for second.

He absolutely can be a star and is on track to be one.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hes one of the best player in the league, he is by all means a future star and thr future is closer than you think.

He was probably the best player on the ice against us... That shot.

babblemoth

my heart and I agree
Mar 7, 2010
ON
Definitely going under the radar. The guy played right out of his draft year and scored 27 points in 46 games, and over PPG in the AHL.

I haven't seen a whole lot of him in Boston, but I thought he was quite noticeable in his World Junior appearances.

Only 20 and he has 66 points in 109 career games. That's a pretty darn good start.

Not so sure about him being the first or second best player from that draft, for the fact that there are some really good players in that first round, but at least a top 10 player.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
His Corsi is pretty amazing as well, for anyone who cares about advanced stats.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Pastrnak had 25 goals and 28 assists over the course of 2 seasons or 97 games, the last season cut short due to a broken foot.

Pro-rated that's 21 g and 24 assist over a 82 game season.

So Pastrnak was just as accomplished as Ehlers, Draisitl, or Larkin at the NHL level coming into this season.

Will he be the best player from his draft class over time? I don't know, Draisitl to me once he puts it all together is going to be a force.

But right now Pastrnak is the best.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Pastrnak always had the required technical qualities: foot speed, great shot, able to dangle, willingness to get hit in order to make plays, etc etc...

What has changed this year - besides obviously having already the experience of two seasons, albeit partial - is that he truly bulked up A LOT. I think that this helps him greatly from a psychological point of view. This year he plays with a swagger that he didn't have before. It just shows he has great confidence.

Bold prediction: if he doesn't get hurt, he gets 35 goals this year. And 60 points.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
All of those players were known known, whereas Pasta was shining under the umbrella until OP brought it out.

He might have been hiding under the umbrella for casual fans but most people that follow hockey know about Pasta.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He might have been hiding under the umbrella for casual fans but most people that follow hockey know about Pasta.

I know most people know about him, but whenever the 2014 draft is brought up it always seems to be Larkin/Nylander/Draisaitl/Ehlers etc who are brought up for 2nd best (or 1st) but never Pastrnak. I'm assuming it has to do with draft pedigree.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Hes the main guy i was targetting in the draft, he ended up going 1 spot ahead of our pick (24)... and to Boston :(

Hell of a player.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think because he's been around longer. He's not the shiny new toy in that sense. I don't think anyone is really sleeping on him. Most dedicated NHL fans know him and just how good he is/could become.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad