David Pastrnak: Forgotten Star?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Thought he fell down the rankings a bit because of a back injury in his draft year.

In addition his skating was just a bit above average not like how it is this season. Also scrawny

Well Pasta took care of both of these issues in the off season. He is stronger and it has also translated in him skating 2 notches faster . Usually you don't see this translation or sometimes if someone becomes heavier they actually skate slower. More than half the time it's technique , so it doesn't matter if you are light or heavy. Luckily for the Bruins not the case

One of those low-low mid risk situations that pay dividends

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
He's been highly skilled since he entered the league, and was never afraid to play physical even when he weighted 160 lbs. However, now he has bulked up and can take a beating without being broken away from the puck like he used to. His skill level hasn't seemed to decline either.

Honestly, with a skill set like that, the sky is the limit for his potential.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He wasn't a falling pick

Pasta was actually trending up on a lot of 1st round draft boards leading into the 2014 calendar year with one outlet pegging him as a top ten while McKenzie had him as his 14th overall at midseason. He was leading his men's team in points, then got hurt and missed the rest of the year, which hurt his stock. It's safe to say if he had played the rest of the year out, his draft profile would have continued to trend upwards, hence the fall.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Pasta was actually trending up on a lot of 1st round draft boards leading into the 2014 calendar year with one outlet pegging him as a top ten while McKenzie had him as his 14th overall at midseason. He was leading his men's team in points, then got hurt and missed the rest of the year, which hurt his stock. It's safe to say if he had played the rest of the year out, his draft profile would have continued to trend upwards, hence the fall.

Its kind of nutty how an injury (not serious) could drop you down so many spots

i get it if he tore a MCL, or back/spine related injury. But that was not the case...

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Its kind of nutty how an injury (not serious) could drop you down so many spots

i get it if he tore a MCL, or back/spine related injury. But that was not the case...

The skill level was certainly there and even at draft time, I kept hearing that skill alone, he was a top 10 pick, with the next word being ' but '. The injury forced a smaller statistical sample size that teams weren't willing to take the risk on and Pasta was passed over.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
As much as the skill level, I think what B's fans love about Pasta is the infectious personality he brings... The kid just LOVES playing hockey - he's ALWAYS smiling. It's like he's SO thankful to be playing in the NHL: he works his butt off to stick around, and is absolutely thrilled to do so!

It's funny you can sense a change when he's out of the lineup... it's like the whole team is down. It really seems like the rest of the B's just love having him around

There are some clips of him from when he was drafted and when he first got a crack in the NHL where he talks about how his motivation is to have fun being the best player he can be in for his father who had passed and never saw him make it to the NHL. You can tell even with all the smiles that even way back then the kid was extremely focused. Also, his favorite player is Krejci, kids mind must be blown.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
How is this the thread title...

Somebody created a thread and typed this in as the title. That's probably how.

Another nice goal by Pastrnak tonight. With the rest of the offense playing the way they are, he makes a huge difference.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
He wasn't a falling pick

Um well yes, actually he was, as he was considered a Top 10/15 prospect prior to the injury which kept him 'out of sight/out of mind' of a lot of scouts for the year leading up to the draft, many of whom have already admitted their mistake in forgetting about him because of his absence and then not taking into account that he was literally just returning from said injury at the WC. We got him at 25, not 24. There are many a GM watching this kid and shaking their heads at their own scouts now.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Can't believe I got this guy in the second last round of my money draft. The kid is good.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
How is this the thread title...

It's kind of fitting seeing how there is Patrik Laine with half a dozen+ threads on the main board and Pasta is sitting at 7 pages even though he's only a goal behind the phenom. (not trying to turn this into a comparison thread, or pissing match)

I think a lot of people forget he's only 20 years old.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
He's been highly skilled since he entered the league, and was never afraid to play physical even when he weighted 160 lbs. However, now he has bulked up and can take a beating without being broken away from the puck like he used to. His skill level hasn't seemed to decline either.

Honestly, with a skill set like that, the sky is the limit for his potential.

Agreed. It's nice to see he bulked up so much but also kept his hands and speed. He was never afraid to go to the net but now his size allows him to win battles with strength instead of just speed.

LeveilleFan19

Jul 13, 2016
It's kind of fitting seeing how there is Patrik Laine with half a dozen+ threads on the main board and Pasta is sitting at 7 pages even though he's only a goal behind the phenom. (not trying to turn this into a comparison thread, or pissing match)

I think a lot of people forget he's only 20 years old.

I think the main reason Pastrnak doesn't get the Laine praise is because Laine was a #2 pick. Those that are "less round" in their hockey knowledge and are all about hype (and stats) tend to give the nod to who they know, as opposed to what they know. They can't grasp that someone who wasn't hyped coming into a draft can actually be as good as, if not better, than a top pick.

Any informed hockey fan would agree that Pastrnak clearly belongs in the same sentence as Laine.

LePalle

Aug 22, 2006
South Jersey
Pasta's a beast! I knew he had potential from the first time I saw him play, but he's looking better than I expected. Congrats to Boston fans.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
During the few games I've seen him (vs the Habs) he has always stood out with his speed and poise.
Explosive speed , good hands and seems like a nice/smart kid.
I think the Bruins have a good one there.

Last edited:

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Another nice breakaway goal...kid is on fire lately.

Lets not trade away this young talent for a bag of pucks ok Bruins?

edit : adds another in 1:21 to make it 3-2...

Breakaway goal last night, breakaway goal tonight #18

Love this kid..hope he pots a hat trick

Hes out shining his linemates goal scoring wise, Marchy racking up assists tho....but Marchand - Bergeron - Pastranak is easily one of the most deadliest lines in hockey thats for sure

Last edited:

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Deserves to be in the Hart conversation at this point. Not even kidding.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Deserves to be in the Hart conversation at this point. Not even kidding.

He and Rask... and maybe Dominic Moore :laugh: are reasons we're even afloat.

Knew this kid had the potential the second he stepped on the ice for us, and I didn't even know who he was on draft day. The perfect mix of skill, character, and determination. It seems you can only pick 1 or 2 out of those 3 in most NHL stars.

He has the skill to be one of the league's elite goal scorers and he has the leadership, grit, and work ethic to improve every year. I don't expect him to keep this pace up, but who knows how many he'll get this season. He's also a really underrated playmaker... Wait until Bergy waits up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad