Player Discussion David Backes IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
If Backes is going to let his noggin turn to mush and ruin the rest of his life so that he can cling to fourth line minutes, hes pridefully ignorant or ignoring a huge risk because of Pride. either way, not a good look for him or Cassidy if its being encouraged to the degree that hes fought 3 times in 4 games.
Its unfortunate Backes doesn't want to let go and I appreciate his warrior like mentality, but I don't want to see him fighting. He down plays the dangers of it, but boy with his concussion history and the long term affects they can carry, its just way too much of a risk.

Bruins force Backes to fight if he wants to stay in lineup!

“You have to stick up for your teammates,” Backes said after the game per NESN. “Tonight’s hit, which was a hard, clean hit, but if guys are running at our skilled guys we need to hold them accountable and I thought there was an opportunity for me to step up and you know, fill that role.

“I asked Butchy (Cassidy) when we were in Vegas and we had a meeting if I could be put in roles or places that would have a bigger impact on games and you know, whether that’s with my gloves off or my gloves on I think he’s provided me those opportunities and hopefully I’ve done my job for him.”

“Listen, they’re human beings first, and when you coach them every day that’s always a concern,” Cassidy said. “But David, I think, is grabbing onto an area of the lineup where he feels he can contribute. So, we really appreciate that as a staff and the players do too, that he’s putting himself in harm’s way for the good of the team, and that’s leadership.”

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Not a fan of the comments by Backes according to KPD. Don't need him to risk his long term health in this "Fighter/Enforcer" role.

I hope Butch and the organization know what they are doing with this.
I trust that Backes is in tune with his body and has done everything needed to make sure that he can play this style of hockey without doing more harm to himself.

I also trust that the organization has done everything they need to do on their end.

In the end, it is up to the player and the player alone to make decisions like this.

Reactions: CDJ

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Its unfortunate Backes doesn't want to let go and I appreciate his warrior like mentality, but I don't want to see him fighting. He down plays the dangers of it, but boy with his concussion history and the long term affects they can carry, its just way too much of a risk.

Bruins force Backes to fight if he wants to stay in lineup!

“You have to stick up for your teammates,” Backes said after the game per NESN. “Tonight’s hit, which was a hard, clean hit, but if guys are running at our skilled guys we need to hold them accountable and I thought there was an opportunity for me to step up and you know, fill that role.

“I asked Butchy (Cassidy) when we were in Vegas and we had a meeting if I could be put in roles or places that would have a bigger impact on games and you know, whether that’s with my gloves off or my gloves on I think he’s provided me those opportunities and hopefully I’ve done my job for him.”

“Listen, they’re human beings first, and when you coach them every day that’s always a concern,” Cassidy said. “But David, I think, is grabbing onto an area of the lineup where he feels he can contribute. So, we really appreciate that as a staff and the players do too, that he’s putting himself in harm’s way for the good of the team, and that’s leadership.”

That’s a laughably terrible headline

(I know that’s not your doing, just a comment)

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
I'm glad you guys are just moving on after our player gets run and our already low title equity dwindles away.

Back to Cehlarik being useless in the top 6, just as this board loves it.

Reactions: Fenian24

Elmer

Dec 18, 2014
Boston
Backes as an enforcer is absolutely laughable? What is he enforcing? Guy gets spanked in damn near every fight he’s in, and you add a concussion history to that? Yikes. That’s not good.
Heh. Seeing him fight reminds me of the halcyon days of Jeff Odgers and his face taking on the bare knuckles of all the enforcers.
I simply don't get the genuflection and level of veneration for this guy. I mean he's getting $30 million and he's here through the '20-'21. I acknowledge he works hard, but, so doesn't my washing machine.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I trust that Backes is in tune with his body and has done everything needed to make sure that he can play this style of hockey without doing more harm to himself.

I also trust that the organization has done everything they need to do on their end.

In the end, it is up to the player and the player alone to make decisions like this.

Hopefully you are correct about Backes but I think his player's pride might be getting in the way. No professional athlete ever wants to acknowledge that his/her skills are no longer at the level they need to be to stay in the game. It's one thing to have your career end due to injury but finding the courage to admit you just can't do it anymore is another.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Hopefully you are correct about Backes but I think his player's pride might be getting in the way. No professional athlete ever wants to acknowledge that his/her skills are no longer at the level they need to be to stay in the game. It's one thing to have your career end due to injury but finding the courage to admit you just can't do it anymore is another.
I think there is a lot of people (not you) making the assumption that he doesn't know how to let go and this is why he's decided to fight.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I think there is a lot of people (not you) making the assumption that he doesn't know how to let go and this is why he's decided to fight.

Well let's look at what we do know- he has trouble keeping up with the play because it has gotten faster as he has gotten slower (he never was the fastest skater) so most of the time he's not in a position to either shoot the puck or pass it off to someone so they can shoot the puck. IMO he wants to do anything he can to stay in the line up, I'm sure being a healthy scratch has been a real blow to him, after all for the bulk of his career he's been a top player for his teams. Hence the attempt to become an enforcer/fighter- it is something he can do with his size, strength & toughness. I can't see a reason for him to do this at this stage of his career except that he's trying to stave off the inevitable. I could be wrong of course and if I am I will be the first to eat crow. With or without ketchup.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Definitely agree with this.

Bruins are a business, and we would all like to think they always put the players best interest at heart. But evidence in the past, not necessarily the Bruins but other sports organizations have definitely put profit/business first.

Plenty of players in the past would hide injuries to keep playing, to keep their spot, pride like you said etc. Sometimes that decision needs to be taken away from them.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Well let's look at what we do know- he has trouble keeping up with the play because it has gotten faster as he has gotten slower (he never was the fastest skater) so most of the time he's not in a position to either shoot the puck or pass it off to someone so they can shoot the puck. IMO he wants to do anything he can to stay in the line up, I'm sure being a healthy scratch has been a real blow to him, after all for the bulk of his career he's been a top player for his teams. Hence the attempt to become an enforcer/fighter- it is something he can do with his size, strength & toughness. I can't see a reason for him to do this at this stage of his career except that he's trying to stave off the inevitable. I could be wrong of course and if I am I will be the first to eat crow. With or without ketchup.

Agree with every thing here but the bolded. Although Backes will do well against the Ernie's of the world, he'll be playing Russian Roulette against the Haleys,Ferlansd, Wilson,Anderson and Folignos of the world. Although Backes is big and strong and willing, unfortunately I don't see it ending well if he continues this path.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Agree with every thing here but the bolded. Although Backes will do well against the Ernie's of the world, he'll be playing Russian Roulette against the Haleys,Ferlansd, Wilson,Anderson and Folignos of the world. Although Backes is big and strong and willing, unfortunately I don't see it ending well if he continues this path.
A 26 year old David Backes would get wiped by the guys you’ve listed, a mid 30s David Backes is like you say, playing Russian Roulette.

I don’t get the logic of testing the waters as a fighter at this stage of his career, at his age, and his god awful fighting ability. I can understand if it was a declining power forward who was a damn good fighter (Lucic, Simmonds currently) and guys like Chris Stewart formerly. All of those guys were fantastic fighters who were at once good players. David Backes isn’t an effective player anymore and was always a bad, bad fighter. It sounds harsh, but it’s true.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
As much as I respect David Backes, I would rather see him sit out than continue to take these nightly beatings. Here's a young guy with a family and millions to take care of them with. How long will this continue before he gets yet another concussion? My guess is not too long.

I like rough, tough hockey as much (more?) than anyone, but I would hate to be Cassidy sending this particular player out there to do what should be a younger, more capable mans job. I don't see this ending well for a proud, respected NHL vet.

Reactions: BMC

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
As much as I respect David Backes, I would rather see him sit out than continue to take these nightly beatings. Here's a young guy with a family and millions to take care of them with. How long will this continue before he gets yet another concussion? My guess is not too long.

I like rough, tough hockey as much (more?) than anyone, but I would hate to be Cassidy sending this particular player out there to do what should be a younger, more capable mans job. I don't see this ending well for a proud, respected NHL vet.

You just called him "absolutely pathetic" two pages ago. Now he's a "proud, respected NHL vet"? Something stinks like shit.....

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
You just called him "absolutely pathetic" two pages ago. Now he's a "proud, respected NHL vet"? Something stinks like ****.....
His fighting skills, at this point, are absolutely pathetic. I find the fact that he's still trying to be very respectable.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
You just called him "absolutely pathetic" two pages ago. Now he's a "proud, respected NHL vet"? Something stinks like ****.....
I would never call him pathetic. He’s the ultimate team player who has lost a step (or 5) - I just don’t like that he’s the teams enforcer. I don’t think he’s a good fighter, and I think he’s a smack to the jaw away from being done for good.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I would never call him pathetic. He’s the ultimate team player who has lost a step (or 5) - I just don’t like that he’s the teams enforcer. I don’t think he’s a good fighter, and I think he’s a smack to the jaw away from being done for good.

I wouldn't call any hockey player absolutely pathetic in any context because they're on the ice in an NHL game and I'm on the couch. You said it best. That's what Backes is. An ultimate team guy.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I feel bad for Backes. He's a terrible fighter who is now being called on to fight more than he ever has in his career. He's absolutely pathetic. :(
Hmmm. I clearly stated that it was about fighting and that I felt bad for him. I'm not sure what you were going for here. :huh:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Hmmm. I clearly stated that it was about fighting and that I felt bad for him. I'm not sure what you were going for here. :huh:

I'm just going by what you said. You called a player "absolutely pathetic". You didn't say, "his fighting is absolutely pathetic". You said, "HE is absolutely pathetic".

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I wouldn't call any hockey player absolutely pathetic in any context because they're on the ice in an NHL game and I'm on the couch. You said it best. That's what Backes is. An ultimate team guy.
I have a shit ton of respect for Backes, always liked the way he played. Hard nosed, yet skilled. I was even a bit excited when the Bruins initially signed him (before I saw the contract) - I just don’t want him fighting. The guy has a ton of pride, but what good is it if you enforce an issue and get absolutely throttled? “Well, he... ugh... tried?...”

I get that, but I’d rather they just bury his contract or sign a guy who can indeed play the role of enforcer as a third line player. They’re hard to find, absolutely but i don’t get the idea of saying “well, you’re the enforcer now... a $6M enforcer”

Reactions: BMC

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I have a **** ton of respect for Backes, always liked the way he played. Hard nosed, yet skilled. I was even a bit excited when the Bruins initially signed him (before I saw the contract) - I just don’t want him fighting. The guy has a ton of pride, but what good is it if you enforce an issue and get absolutely throttled? “Well, he... ugh... tried?...”

I get that, but I’d rather they just bury his contract or sign a guy who can indeed play the role of enforcer as a third line player. They’re hard to find, absolutely but i don’t get the idea of saying “well, you’re the enforcer now... a $6M enforcer”

Can they start burying his contract next season, if needed? I know they couldn't with his full NMC. Also, does his 6M count 100% against the cap if they were to bury him?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Can they start burying his contract next season, if needed? I know they couldn't with his full NMC. Also, does his 6M count 100% against the cap if they were to bury him?
Actually, you may be right. I’m not 100% sure the deets of his contract all I know is it’s just terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad