Player Discussion David Backes IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Why don’t you try something new and fresh?

Like pointing out that Backes is over paid.

Eye drops help refresh.

I must have accidentally selected the thread called David Backes IV thinking it was a new thread. I thought I was the first to comment on his play / impact to team - I was wrong - thank you for pointing that out.:huh:

It's a lunatic hockey forum for Pete's sake - it's ok to share opinions folk. :nod:

Last edited:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Eye drops help refresh.

I must have accidentally selected the thread called David Backes IV thinking it was a new thread. I thought I was the first to comment on his play / impact to team - I was wrong - thank you for pointing that out.:huh:

It's a lunatic hockey forum for Pete's sake - it's ok to share opinions folk. :nod:
Yes it is and apparently we get to share the same opinion over and over and over....

Reactions: ThomasJ13

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Dare I say, Backes has actually looked... good lately?? Not even just not bad, but actually making offensive plays, playing physical and contributing. I'd keep him in over Nordstrom, Cehlarik or Stempniak at this point. The points aren't there still but he's been on the ice for some goals for. If he could start finishing on some chances it would go a long way for that third line.

He looks like a hockey player. Which, considering we are now grading him on a curve, is alright. Not like Hayes or Beleskey, who didn't look like professional athletes in their final years with the Bruins. Having Heinen on that line would help them quite a bit.

Reactions: Blowfish

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
And the trend continues...

Add
Backes March Bergeron = :thumbd:

Backes Donato = :thumbd:
Backes Heinen = :thumbd:
Backes Pasta = :thumbd:
Backes Krejci = :thumbd:
Backes Coyle = :thumbd:
Backes Kuhlman = :thumbd:
Backes Wagner/Kuraly = :thumbd:
Backes Cehlarik = :thumbd:
Backes JFK = :thumbd:

insanity.jpg

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
In fairness he looked good with them vs Columbus. The bottom of the lineup was OK since noone had Backes on their line. I'd give them another game together.

He probably needs to be sat once guys start coming back.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if we get a full healthy team I think backes ends up on 4th line... and a healthy backes on 4th line at playoff time is still money in my evaluation

for argument sakes I will say put Heinen back with Bergeron/marchand to help us get depth

and the its pastrnak/krejci and one of Johansson or debrusk. I lean towards Johansson

its crazy to put debrusk on a 3rd line but I think he and coyle can play similar style. my choice for their linemate is going to be wagner just because I think all three can play crash and dash hockey

and thats why im seeing backes drop to the fourth line with his old buddy kuraly. these 2 have been standouts in more than one playoff in the past together. whether they get Nordstrom or accairi or kuhlman or cehlarik or stempniak as their third linemate I still expect good things in a 4th line role from these guys

backes might not have a lot left in the tank... but whatever he does have he will give us.

Reactions: Orr Fourever

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
if we get a full healthy team I think backes ends up on 4th line... and a healthy backes on 4th line at playoff time is still money in my evaluation

for argument sakes I will say put Heinen back with Bergeron/marchand to help us get depth

and the its pastrnak/krejci and one of Johansson or debrusk. I lean towards Johansson

its crazy to put debrusk on a 3rd line but I think he and coyle can play similar style. my choice for their linemate is going to be wagner just because I think all three can play crash and dash hockey

and thats why im seeing backes drop to the fourth line with his old buddy kuraly. these 2 have been standouts in more than one playoff in the past together. whether they get Nordstrom or accairi or kuhlman or cehlarik or stempniak as their third linemate I still expect good things in a 4th line role from these guys

backes might not have a lot left in the tank... but whatever he does have he will give us.

Loved the guy as a player...but he just isn’t meant for todays game. Add in age and concussion history you have a pretty ineffective player.

After his last concussion I see a dude playing the year out to earn his large payoff contract. Other than being the perfect net screener He hasn’t been the physical player the bruins wanted. He’s playing protective hockey. The other concern As some of us have noted is for some reason he doesn’t make players around him better .... just the opposite. It Will be interesting to see where he lands tonight. Bergeron March point totals have dropped since his arrival.

No way bruins tinker with that 4th line. Way to good with forecheck and punishing hits. If anything Nords joins the 4th because he brings excellent puck pursuit and PK ability and Wagner moves up. DKH posted as such. Backes becomes the reserve.

Last edited:
Reactions: gillesgilbert

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I've been thinking about what they can do with him after the year.

Assuming they don't buy him out, I believe he is due a $3 million bonus in July. After that, there will be $5 million left on his contract ($4 million in salary and $1 million in bonus). I wonder what it would cost to offload him if they were to retain 50%. I assume the new team would be on the hook for half of the remaining contract ($2.5 million total), but it would just be 2 years at a $3 million cap hit, which they could lower by $1.075 million if they were to bury him in the AHL.

The trouble, of course, is that he has a no trade clause, and I imagine any team that might want to use his cap hit to reach the cap floor would be on that NTC list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->