Player Discussion David Backes IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Hornqvist is Marchand physical, not exactly a power forward but can blow guys up when they don't see it coming. but he's certainly not some kind of physical element that the Bruins lack

No he isn't, but my point was he's no slouch when it comes to getting in the dirty areas

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see them as being playoff ready. Believe it or not I don't think they have enough talent in the top 9, not just talented toughness but just pure talent. They (Sweeney) rely too much on "the kids" too make an impact and it doesn't work.

My biggest issue is with a few tweaks they could be a real contender this year. Part of that, whether you like it or believe it, is being tougher and having a real power forward in the top six, ideally 2 in the top 9. I would also like them to be in a position too not have to have David Backes taking on some of the few remaining heavyweights in the NHL because no one else is stepping up. It wouldn't be any better watching Wagner or Kuraly get rag dolled by Ferland or Kane so I would like a Simmonds or similar player there to be able to help.

Speed and skill are great, so is having some big, tough forwards willing and able to fight without fear of them getting concussed every time they drop their gloves.

Except that it does work, and every GM (including Sweeney) is relying on young players (25 and younger) to make an impact on their respective teams. You can *&^^ and moan about "the kids" all you want, but the FACT (I know you aren't fussy on those) is, you need young players to make an impact to have ANY chance of success in the cap system. Go look at the Top 50 scorers. Exactly half of them are age 25 and YOUNGER.

I'm not even sure what your complaining about. The Bruins are one of the oldest teams in the league from top to bottom with only 6 players on their 23-man roster who are age 25 and younger. Seems to me your getting exactly what you want, all kinds of veteran players.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Except that it does work, and every GM (including Sweeney) is relying on young players (25 and younger) to make an impact on their respective teams. You can *&^^ and moan about "the kids" all you want, but the FACT (I know you aren't fussy on those) is, you need young players to make an impact to have ANY chance of success in the cap system. Go look at the Top 50 scorers. Exactly half of them are age 25 and YOUNGER.

I'm not even sure what your complaining about. The Bruins are one of the oldest teams in the league from top to bottom with only 6 players on their 23-man roster who are age 25 and younger. Seems to me your getting exactly what you want, all kinds of veteran players.

But they don't have that big tough goon so he's not getting what he truly wants.

Reactions: Estlin and hrdpuk

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Penguins won back to back Cups with guys like Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Wilson, Kunitz, etc rotating into various spots in their top 6. They had no big, tough forwards really. And a D corps that was not nearly as deep as Boston's is today. Yes they had Crosby, Malkin & Kessel, but we have Bergy, Marchand, Pasta & Krejci.

The Bruins absolutely have the talent to go deep, it's just a matter of everyone buying in and playing well at the right time & of course staying healthy.
Crosby and Malkin are generational talents, Bergeron is close the others are very good players but not at the level of Crosby or Malkin.

Do you really take Bergeron and Krecji over Crosby and Malkin?

Going over the last ten cup winners Chicago, Boston, L.A. and Washington all had size and toughness in their forward groups. Pittsburgh is the outlier and had two superstars in Malkin and Crosby, some would say Letang as well, I don't.

Given a choice between a passive, small forward or a big, tough forward with the same skill set I always take the bigger player.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Crosby and Malkin are generational talents, Bergeron is close the others are very good players but not at the level of Crosby or Malkin.

Do you really take Bergeron and Krecji over Crosby and Malkin?

Going over the last ten cup winners Chicago, Boston, L.A. and Washington all had size and toughness in their forward groups. Pittsburgh is the outlier and had two superstars in Malkin and Crosby, some would say Letang as well, I don't.

Given a choice between a passive, small forward or a big, tough forward with the same skill set I always take the bigger player.

Given the choice of:

Passive small forward who puts up points

or

big tough forward who doesn't put up points.

Which skill set you taking?

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Not a fan of the comments by Backes according to KPD. Don't need him to risk his long term health in this "Fighter/Enforcer" role.

I hope Butch and the organization know what they are doing with this.

Reactions: NDiesel

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Not a fan of the comments by Backes according to KPD. Don't need him to risk his long term health in this "Fighter/Enforcer" role.

I hope Butch and the organization know what they are doing with this.

Why wouldn't they? I love these posts that imply the organization is run by a bunch of idiots who don't know their ass form their elbow.

Reactions: Alicat

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Backes as an enforcer is absolutely laughable? What is he enforcing? Guy gets spanked in damn near every fight he’s in, and you add a concussion history to that? Yikes. That’s not good.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I also kind of cringe when Backes drops the gloves these days, but he is one of those proud warriors that will insist on doing things his way. His contract is guaranteed which, in general, helps to prevent a guy from feeling like he needs to get totally irresponsible just to keep getting a paycheck.

Reactions: BMC

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Backes as an enforcer is absolutely laughable? What is he enforcing? Guy gets spanked in damn near every fight he’s in, and you add a concussion history to that? Yikes. That’s not good.

I think enforcer is a bit of a loose word here and misrepresented, obviously. Backes wants to be the first guy in to fight when the situation calls for it, ie: Going after Haley, Going after Ferlund, etc etc. The man is tougher than a two dollar steak and while it's appreciated, I'm worried about him as a human being. Being the Mick Foley of the NHL is going to hurt his brain that's already been rattled too much all too recently.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think enforcer is a bit of a loose word here and misrepresented, obviously. Backes wants to be the first guy in to fight when the situation calls for it, ie: Going after Haley, Going after Ferlund, etc etc. The man is tougher than a two dollar steak and while it's appreciated, I'm worried about him as a human being. Being the Mick Foley of the NHL is going to hurt his brain that's already been rattled too much all too recently.
I love the courage he’s showing. Don’t get me wrong, but it’s unfortunate that his lack of hockey skill these days have driven him into a 6 million dollar enforcer, and someone who’s terrible at it.

I’d rather him focus on trying to improve the hockey side of his game at this stage. Improve it so he’s not a liability. I’d rather him out there throwing thunderous hits than dropping the gloves with the Haleys & Ferlands and getting knocked around.

I don’t think this ends well.

Reactions: TCB and JCRO

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
The team needs someone to answer for goons like Ferland making runs at our finesse guys. Backes could be a good combination of physicality and potential scoring.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The team needs someone to answer for goons like Ferland making runs at our finesse guys. Backes could be a good combination of physicality and potential scoring.
How the f*** is Ferland a goon? Do people toss this word out there and just assume it correctly describes a physical player who can fight (and score)?

Also, what good does having a guy in his mid 30’s who’s a god awful fighter, with a concussion history go and get starched against the Tom Wilson’s, The Michael Ferlands etc?

He stood up? I guess that’s fine... but having him go at a guy and get trucked and put on the shelf with a head injury for 5 weeks isn’t too smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad