Player Discussion David Backes IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Pasta

ANTHONY!
Aug 20, 2006
The Granite Town in The Granite State
Can they start burying his contract next season, if needed? I know they couldn't with his full NMC. Also, does his 6M count 100% against the cap if they were to bury him?
Becomes a M-NTC next season with 8 teams hed accept the trade to, 15 teams in the last year. Buyout next year gains nothing and no recapture penalty so I say put him on waivers if you cant trade him for a 3rd and some low prospect to one of his 8 teams. If he clears waivers, he'd probably retire.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Becomes a M-NTC next season with 8 teams hed accept the trade to, 15 teams in the last year. Buyout next year gains nothing and no recapture penalty so I say put him on waivers if you cant trade him for a 3rd and some low prospect to one of his 8 teams. If he clears waivers, he'd probably retire.

But does the M-NTC then allow assignment to Providence?

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I am not saying Backes was a star last night ,but I was pleased with his game. Just feel he is trying very hard to help the team where he can. I am sure he is frustrated with his production,needs a couple bounces to go his way.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Gotta give him credit...he's reinventing his game so he can stay in the lineup. IMO, I have no concern seeing him play.

He does a lot of little things right - even though he doesn't get on the scoresheet.

Example: Gryz tying goal...he went to the dirty area and made it tough for Luongo.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I don't see them as being playoff ready. Believe it or not I don't think they have enough talent in the top 9, not just talented toughness but just pure talent. They (Sweeney) rely too much on "the kids" too make an impact and it doesn't work.

My biggest issue is with a few tweaks they could be a real contender this year. Part of that, whether you like it or believe it, is being tougher and having a real power forward in the top six, ideally 2 in the top 9. I would also like them to be in a position too not have to have David Backes taking on some of the few remaining heavyweights in the NHL because no one else is stepping up. It wouldn't be any better watching Wagner or Kuraly get rag dolled by Ferland or Kane so I would like a Simmonds or similar player there to be able to help.

Speed and skill are great, so is having some big, tough forwards willing and able to fight without fear of them getting concussed every time they drop their gloves.
Want to revise this statement?

Reactions: Dom - OHL

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I am not saying Backes was a star last night ,but I was pleased with his game. Just feel he is trying very hard to help the team where he can. I am sure he is frustrated with his production,needs a couple bounces to go his way.

His forecheck on the DK goal was a thing of beauty, not sure he made contact with either the puck or defender but was in the right spot to rush the pass and then Heinen with what I think was an even better play than the pass to DK at the blueline.

Reactions: bme44

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Personally, I don't care if a hit is 100% clean. If you're going to throw a huge hit on a non(primarily)-physical guy, I want my team to go after the guy who threw the hit OR a non-physical guy on the other team.

If you're going to throw a huge hit on Bergeron, don't be surprised if someone tries to fight you. You should probably expect it, honestly. Come to think of it, if you throw an extra big hit on ANYONE, I think you should be ready to fight. I'm not talking regular checks but ones that aren't simply to "separate a player from the puck", which is supposed to be what a check is for. Don't try to bury a guy if you don't want someone coming for you or your teammates.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
That Backes is willing to step up and defend teammates at this stage of his career, not to mention his concussion history is nothing less than admirable. I'm sure every player on the team sees this and thinks if that guy is willing to do this for the team then we must be part of something special here. I think Backes is a big part of our success and an inspiration to every Bruin.

I know he's overpaid, loses most of his fights, blah, blah, blah. This guy has made a very significant contribution to this team.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
He was in front of the net with two Panthers players who were right in front of Loungo, it deflected of one of them. Lou should be mad at his dee for screening him and trying to be the goalie and not take out Backes. His forecheck helped on the Krech goal and we have to also give the krappy garden ice credit for that lucky bounce that flipped back to Heinen instead of forward as a break out chip pass.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Backes Donato = :thumbd:
Backes Heinen = :thumbd:
Backes Pasta = :thumbd:
Backes Krejci = :thumbd:
Backes Coyle = :thumbd:
Backes Kuhlman = :thumbd:
Backes Wagner/Kuraly = :thumbd:
Backes Cehlarik = :thumbd:
Backes JFK = :thumbd:

I see a pattern...

Last edited:

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Dare I say, Backes has actually looked... good lately?? Not even just not bad, but actually making offensive plays, playing physical and contributing. I'd keep him in over Nordstrom, Cehlarik or Stempniak at this point. The points aren't there still but he's been on the ice for some goals for. If he could start finishing on some chances it would go a long way for that third line.

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
Dare I say, Backes has actually looked... good lately?? Not even just not bad, but actually making offensive plays, playing physical and contributing. I'd keep him in over Nordstrom, Cehlarik or Stempniak at this point. The points aren't there still but he's been on the ice for some goals for. If he could start finishing on some chances it would go a long way for that third line.
Backes has looked very good since playing with Coyle.

Reactions: kjpm

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I just got new glasses. And also prescription sun glasses.

I can give you a referral if you like

That's a good thing because with new glasses it should help with your vision on a go forward basis. :)

Facts, stats, and trends don't lie.

No thanks on that referral yikes! lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad