Player Discussion David Backes IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
You realie Ferland left the game like five minutes later

Were the Bruins scared he was pissing in their locker room or something?

I give Backes full props for not shying away from anyone. I wish he would leave it to someone else mostly because I am concerned for his health
And whom would you like him to leave it to? Heinen? Cehlarik? This team has no one else to fight for them besides Chara once or twice a year. David Backes should not have to be in this position of being the only guy who is willing to fight other teams better fighters. But they didn't need McQuaid or another forward like Anderson or either Foligno or even having somebody in Providence who could fight if needed. I liked Frederics game but he wasn't ready.

Haley and Ferland, two of the remaining really good fighters in the league in the past week and Backes did his job with no questions asked. But this board will rip him about how there is no place for him and how terrible a skater he is and how useless while pining away for Kuhlman or JFK or another one of the "kids" who plays with no grit or toughness to take his spot.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I'm not suggesting anything. I'm flat out saying that the Bruins as a team were intimidated by Ferland and were likely relived when he hurt his hand on Backes head. What am I deflecting?
You are not following the approved mantra of how intimidation doesn't exist anymore and you just need speed and skill over every other aspect of the game.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
And whom would you like him to leave it to? Heinen? Cehlarik? This team has no one else to fight for them besides Chara once or twice a year. David Backes should not have to be in this position of being the only guy who is willing to fight other teams better fighters. But they didn't need McQuaid or another forward like Anderson or either Foligno or even having somebody in Providence who could fight if needed. I liked Frederics game but he wasn't ready.

Haley and Ferland, two of the remaining really good fighters in the league in the past week and Backes did his job with no questions asked. But this board will rip him about how there is no place for him and how terrible a skater he is and how useless while pining away for Kuhlman or JFK or another one of the "kids" who plays with no grit or toughness to take his spot.

While I will never question Backes' character he just isn't a good hockey player anymore. You don't pay 6 million a year for a tough guy. That being said last night he did his job.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

How many f***ing guys do they need in the lineup to fight? Really? How f***ing many? You want one on every f***ing line. Bruins are first in the NHL as of today in fights with 22. They are team tough. They stand up for each other.

And shocker shocker. Another dig at young players....Funny how he mentions Kuhlman, who actually plays with some grit. SHOULDAH TRAYDED FOR (USELESS) WAYNE SIMMONDS!!! RIGHT FENIAN?????

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I really hope he stops the fighting.

For one thing, his health. For the other, it is counterproductive to have a guy who just isn't a good fighter going against tough guys when a response is needed. Occasional spur of the moment scrap, great, but a guy like Backes can't be the sherriff.

We saw this with Greg Campbell over and over. Ego deflating.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

McQuaid whom after 2 games in Columbus finds himself a healthy scratch. Paraphrasing Torterella here: “I’m concerned with his ability to keep up with the speed of today’s game”

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
McQuaid whom after 2 games in Columbus finds himself a healthy scratch. Paraphrasing Torterella here: “I’m concerned with his ability to keep up with the speed of today’s game”
Yup, that's him, take him back in a heartbeat over that 2.75 million in unused cap space.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Just as soon as you actually add something to a discussion besides critiquing other posts. I'll be waiting.
Other than your useless take of not enough toughness(which is wrong) and not enough fighting on the team what is your actual issue with this team? All the winning?

This is an enjoyable team to watch and they are being successful.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
While I will never question Backes' character he just isn't a good hockey player anymore. You don't pay 6 million a year for a tough guy. That being said last night he did his job.
I have never said Backes wasn't overpaid for what he is producing right now. If they were against the cap I may feel differently but they are not. I wil take David Backes in the line up over Cehlarik, Kuhlman, Donato, Bjork, JFK etc.

Reactions: Don Cherry

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Yup, that's him, take him back in a heartbeat over that 2.75 million in unused cap space.
And play him where? Hey listen I’d love to sit and have a beer with McQuaid and reminisce about the 2011 Cup run. Let’s be real, he’s slow and can’t keep up with the play. He’s at best a 7-8 dman. Even then I’d prefer Kampfer. McQuaid is a helluva tough kid, but not much glove dropping come playoff time. And at this point McQuaids only value is fighting.

You keep mentioning Anderson, when was he made available? I saw Columbus going ALL-IN. They were buyers. So why do you keep giving the front office crap for not acquiring a guy who was never available to begin with??

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Other than your useless take of not enough toughness(which is wrong) and not enough fighting on the team what is your actual issue with this team? All the winning?

This is an enjoyable team to watch and they are being successful.
I don't see them as being playoff ready. Believe it or not I don't think they have enough talent in the top 9, not just talented toughness but just pure talent. They (Sweeney) rely too much on "the kids" too make an impact and it doesn't work.

My biggest issue is with a few tweaks they could be a real contender this year. Part of that, whether you like it or believe it, is being tougher and having a real power forward in the top six, ideally 2 in the top 9. I would also like them to be in a position too not have to have David Backes taking on some of the few remaining heavyweights in the NHL because no one else is stepping up. It wouldn't be any better watching Wagner or Kuraly get rag dolled by Ferland or Kane so I would like a Simmonds or similar player there to be able to help.

Speed and skill are great, so is having some big, tough forwards willing and able to fight without fear of them getting concussed every time they drop their gloves.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
And play him where? Hey listen I’d love to sit and have a beer with McQuaid and reminisce about the 2011 Cup run. Let’s be real, he’s slow and can’t keep up with the play. He’s at best a 7-8 dman. Even then I’d prefer Kampfer. McQuaid is a helluva tough kid, but not much glove dropping come playoff time. And at this point McQuaids only value is fighting.

You keep mentioning Anderson, when was he made available? I saw Columbus going ALL-IN. They were buyers. So why do you keep giving the front office crap for not acquiring a guy who was never available to begin with??
Beginning of the year when he was having his contract dispute he was suppose to be available, I am also using him as an example of the type of player I would like in the top 6

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I don't see them as being playoff ready. Believe it or not I don't think they have enough talent in the top 9, not just talented toughness but just pure talent. They (Sweeney) rely too much on "the kids" too make an impact and it doesn't work.

My biggest issue is with a few tweaks they could be a real contender this year. Part of that, whether you like it or believe it, is being tougher and having a real power forward in the top six, ideally 2 in the top 9. I would also like them to be in a position too not have to have David Backes taking on some of the few remaining heavyweights in the NHL because no one else is stepping up. It wouldn't be any better watching Wagner or Kuraly get rag dolled by Ferland or Kane so I would like a Simmonds or similar player there to be able to help.

Speed and skill are great, so is having some big, tough forwards willing and able to fight without fear of them getting concussed every time they drop their gloves.
Well at least you answered instead of moving the goal posts like some others.

I will respectfully say that I think you are completely wrong with these points...all of them

Prince Pasta

ANTHONY!
Aug 20, 2006
The Granite Town in The Granite State
If Backes is going to let his noggin turn to mush and ruin the rest of his life so that he can cling to fourth line minutes, hes pridefully ignorant or ignoring a huge risk because of Pride. either way, not a good look for him or Cassidy if its being encouraged to the degree that hes fought 3 times in 4 games.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Beginning of the year when he was having his contract dispute he was suppose to be available, I am also using him as an example of the type of player I would like in the top 6
“Supposedly allegedly rumored to be...” Yada yada yada.

If you want to discuss a player who was ACTUALLY traded and give Sweeney bs for not getting involved then that’s acceptable. But your beef is with Sweeney not acquiring players who weren’t ever available. Schtick is getting old.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
“Supposedly allegedly rumored to be...” Yada yada yada.

If you want to discuss a player who was ACTUALLY traded and give Sweeney bs for not getting involved then that’s acceptable. But your beef is with Sweeney not acquiring players who weren’t ever available. Schtick is getting old.

We're way past this shtick "getting old". It's been old for a long long long time. :laugh:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

Penguins won back to back Cups with guys like Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Wilson, Kunitz, etc rotating into various spots in their top 6. They had no big, tough forwards really. And a D corps that was not nearly as deep as Boston's is today. Yes they had Crosby, Malkin & Kessel, but we have Bergy, Marchand, Pasta & Krejci.

The Bruins absolutely have the talent to go deep, it's just a matter of everyone buying in and playing well at the right time & of course staying healthy.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Penguins won back to back Cups with guys like Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Wilson, Kunitz, etc rotating into various spots in their top 6. They had no big, tough forwards really. And a D corps that was not nearly as deep as Boston's is today. Yes they had Crosby, Malkin & Kessel, but we have Bergy, Marchand, Pasta & Krejci.

The Bruins absolutely have the talent to go deep, it's just a matter of everyone buying in and playing well at the right time & of course staying healthy.

good post, often it`s the play of the supporting cast that plays a role in the success of the top 6. If there was one thing the Pens could do , as you mentioned, it was push 4 lines over the boards without a fear of either in the bottom 6 hurting your team, allowing the top 6 to catch their breath and help stabilize a lineup

I`ve long been a believer that the team that gets the big fish at the deadline, doesn`t automatically win.

I look back at Cup winning teams and often see the team that A) does nothing (much like T Bay did) or B) fills a need with a less than top tier player often wins

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

You could argue that Hornqvist is a handful, but he's not like Tom Wilson either. He was a huge part of their success because he gets in front and causes problems but on the other hand so did Loui Ericsson (he's just not as physical as Hornqvist is)

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
You could argue that Hornqvist is a handful, but he's not like Tom Wilson either. He was a huge part of their success because he gets in front and causes problems but on the other hand so did Loui Ericsson (he's just not as physical as Hornqvist is)
Hornqvist is Marchand physical, not exactly a power forward but can blow guys up when they don't see it coming. but he's certainly not some kind of physical element that the Bruins lack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad