Player Discussion David Backes IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Backes is no longer the physical dude he once was. nords was brought in to play fast Aggressive forecheck and pK. Backes doesn’t play PK or PP. so he should be sitting come playoff time

Good chance he does. As of now it's a two horse race with Nordstrom. Acciari is possible as well. Personally I dont think any of them are playing bad or hurt us now ,they just aren't adding a lot of offense .

Reactions: CDJ and Blowfish

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I've been thinking about what they can do with him after the year.

Assuming they don't buy him out, I believe he is due a $3 million bonus in July. After that, there will be $5 million left on his contract ($4 million in salary and $1 million in bonus). I wonder what it would cost to offload him if they were to retain 50%. I assume the new team would be on the hook for half of the remaining contract ($2.5 million total), but it would just be 2 years at a $3 million cap hit, which they could lower by $1.075 million if they were to bury him in the AHL.

The trouble, of course, is that he has a no trade clause, and I imagine any team that might want to use his cap hit to reach the cap floor would be on that NTC list.

He has a modified 15 team NTC post July 1st.

Their best bet is to pay his bonus on July 1st, then ship him somewhere that has a ton of cap room due to the difference in salary vs cap hit.

As much as having someone take 50% is enticing, they really need the entire thing gone.

Reactions: Chief Nine

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Their best bet is to pay his bonus on July 1st, then ship him somewhere that has a ton of cap room due to the difference in salary vs cap hit.

As much as having someone take 50% is enticing, they really need the entire thing gone.
He's a buyout, no team will be interested in Backes.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I liked him on the 4th line, where he should have been all year. He can bang and crash, play it smart, dump it out dump it in, get off. Let the faster, younger and better hands Wags move up to where he deserves

Reactions: Blowfish

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I'd love to get rid of the whole thing, but I can't imagine what it would take. If I were another team, I'd be asking for a 1st, even if it is only $5 million of real money. I think retaining 50% would come at a much more reasonable cost.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I'd love to get rid of the whole thing, but I can't imagine what it would take. If I were another team, I'd be asking for a 1st, even if it is only $5 million of real money. I think retaining 50% would come at a much more reasonable cost.
Any GM speaking the words Backes and First round pick on either side of a trade in the same sentence should be fired on the spot

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I think Backes can still be effective in the right role. I expect him to make a big impact in the playoffs.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I think Backes can still be effective in the right role. I expect him to make a big impact in the playoffs.
I'm not trying to bash Backed the human being but I think he's cooked as an nhl player. I truly hope he can help the team but I watched him closely on his first shift last night and it was nothing short of atrocious, he was late getting into the offensive zone and when the puck turned and went the other was he was passed by a lunemat3 on the backcheck even though he was a good 5 feet in front of him. Just doesn't have the wiped to be effective. No question has the smarts and the heart and can be effective once settled into the offensive or defensive zone but has trouble getting there

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I'm not trying to bash Backed the human being but I think he's cooked as an nhl player. I truly hope he can help the team but I watched him closely on his first shift last night and it was nothing short of atrocious, he was late getting into the offensive zone and when the puck turned and went the other was he was passed by a lunemat3 on the backcheck even though he was a good 5 feet in front of him. Just doesn't have the wiped to be effective. No question has the smarts and the heart and can be effective once settled into the offensive or defensive zone but has trouble getting there

My biggest concern is he no longer plays the physical game he once was so effective playing. This makes him
Completely ineffective for the playoffs. No way he plays with the aggressive speed forecheck and hits that the 3 rd line brings today

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

man do I ever wish he didn`t go through all the injury and health issues he did when he pulled the spoked B over his head because I was, and still am ok with this deal. Nobody could have predicted so much would have happened to him.

Anyone who watched even a few games from the playoffs in the spring prior to his signing would have been enthusiastic about his signing here, I know I was. He was never a massive point producer but was a heart and soul player who brought it.

I truly admire his drive and heart but his game just isn`t where this team needs it to be and it`s a concern. Now, if this team gets healthy and the lines fall into place where Butch would ideally like them, I think Backes would still have some value but if he`s still on a line with a Nordy or another player who doesn`t have a ton of skill....yikes

Reactions: smack66

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
My biggest concern is he no longer plays the physical game he once was so effective playing. This makes him
Completely ineffective for the playoffs. No way he plays with the aggressive speed forecheck and hits that the 3 rd line brings today

His problem isn`t a lack of physicality but lack of foot speed. If it`s a play in a congested area he`s uses that big frame well and more often than not, wins that battle, problem is, he struggles on the forecheck to force the D into a mistake. It reminds me alot of Thorty, wasn`t hesitant to play physical but didn`t have the speed to get on a guy quick enough to use that big body

not sure who it was against but he was in the right spot to force a turnover with a great forecheck on the D which led to Heinen picking the puck up and DK burying it but unfortunately, those moments are few and far between

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I'm surprised that people are so quick to crap on a great warrior who is still willing to fight for his team despite that chance that he may be one more concussion away from being out of the game for good.

That's his stupidity. He would sharpen skates if that meant staying in the line up, This is on the Bruins that he's still playing he's cooked and no-one wants to tell him for his own good.

If he was making 1m a year he would have been waived a long time ago

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
That's his stupidity. He would sharpen skates if that meant staying in the line up, This is on the Bruins that he's still playing he's cooked and no-one wants to tell him for his own good.

If he was making 1m a year he would have been waived a long time ago
I personally respect the guy for wanting to do what he can to help the team. I guess that's not a thing anymore?

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I'm not sure what that has to do with David Backes and his willingness to sacrifice his health, but.....ok?

You said "I guess that's not a thing anymore?"

Were you referring to guys doing what they can to help the team not being a thing anymore?

Or were you referring to fans not respecting some of these guys not being a thing anymore?

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
You said "I guess that's not a thing anymore?"

Were you referring to guys doing what they can to help the team not being a thing anymore?

Or were you referring to fans not respecting some of these guys not being a thing anymore?
Take your pick. Some players just float and collect a paycheck. Some (most?) fans don't seem to respect a player who is willing to sacrifice his own well-being to help the team. Sad. :(

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I personally respect the guy for wanting to do what he can to help the team. I guess that's not a thing anymore?
honest question. I respect Backes but feel he is at best a 4th line winger who based on this and his salary is more of a detriment then a positive for the Bruins.
clearly, you also respect Backes but do you feel based on the package of salary and skill he's an asset for the Bruins.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
honest question. I respect Backes but feel he is at best a 4th line winger who based on this and his salary is more of a detriment then a positive for the Bruins.
clearly, you also respect Backes but do you feel based on the package of salary and skill he's an asset for the Bruins.
I feel like he's better than Kuraly, Nordstrom, Frederick and certainly Acciari.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Replace this with stay in the line up and I agree. I realize its a little more complicated than that. One would hope he pays off when we get to the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->