Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I dunno dude. This team has precious little offence from the blue line as is, Nurse looks like the only guy capable of maybe getting 40 points back there since Klefbom will get injured from sneezing too hard one of these days.

Trade him and then you're banking on who ... a young Evan Bouchard to run the offence? That's a recipe to Justin Schultz him.

I think unfortunately now we're just going to have to be patient, get a new GM, and bide our time for forward upgrades when the time comes.
I agree. We’re in no position to downgrade the defence. I think we can fix the forward depth this summer without making a trade.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree. We’re in no position to downgrade the defence. I think we can fix the forward depth this summer without making a trade.

I don't think that will be fixed in one summer, I think now this is going to be a process that will probably take 2, 3, maybe even 4 years depending on how smart/stupid the next GM is. If a D must be moved, I'd be more inclined to move Adam Larsson at this point.

Reactions: TheBasementDweller

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I don't think that will be fixed in one summer, I think now this is going to be a process that will probably take 2, 3, maybe even 4 years depending on how smart/stupid the next GM is.
If Chia is the GM, is it ever getting fixed?

trade a winger for a Dman, then trade a Dman for a winger
ZestyGloriousDipper-max-1mb.gif

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I dunno dude. This team has precious little offence from the blue line as is, Nurse looks like the only guy capable of maybe getting 40 points back there since Klefbom will get injured from sneezing too hard one of these days.

Trade him and then you're banking on who ... a young Evan Bouchard to run the offence? That's a recipe to Justin Schultz him.

I think unfortunately now we're just going to have to be patient, get a new GM, and bide our time for forward upgrades when the time comes.

Or you trade one of our top 3 guys on d to get some actual scoring depth. As I said it doesn’t have to be Nurse. I just have him on the outside looking in due to his contract situation.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
"Trade Eberle!" "Hall was a cancer!"....2 months after the trade, "Man I miss Eberle" "Imagine Hall with McDavid now!".
We'd saying the same thing with Nurse.
He's on my list of the 5 untouchables for the new GM (McDavid, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Nurse, Klefbom) not including rookies ie. Bouchard

If there's one dman that should be dealt right now, it's Adam Larsson. He's been terrible on both sides of the rink, for a long time now

Last edited:
Reactions: frag2

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Or you trade one of our top 3 guys on d to get some actual scoring depth. As I said it doesn’t have to be Nurse. I just have him on the outside looking in due to his contract situation.

Contract situation? You were the leading person to say the Oilers should do a bridge deal. Are you admitting that Nurse has and probably will more than cover the spread and be valued at a significant cap hit?

Reactions: nabob

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Contract situation? You were the leading person to say the Oilers should do a bridge deal. Are you admitting that Nurse has and probably will more than cover the spread and be valued at a significant cap hit?

I was also the one saying he’d be looking for 5.5M long term... I’m not worried about the amount he’ll make on his next contract. I just look at the Klefbom and Larsson contracts as good value deals.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
"Trade Eberle!" "Hall was a cancer!"....2 months after the trade, "Man I miss Eberle" "Imagine Hall with McDavid now!".
We'd saying the same thing with Nurse.
He's on my list of the 5 untouchables for the new GM (McDavid, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Nurse, Klefbom) not including rookies ie. Bouchard

If there's one dman that should be dealt right now, it's Adam Larsson. He's been terrible on both sides of the rink, for a long time now

Thank god I'm not the only one that thinks this. He's been garbage for a while now. "one for one" ugh...
It's why I've always laughed at posters that think having Larsson-Klefbom pairing as our top pairing is a 'good' thing. It maybe serviceable but it would require a full team effort every game to win consistently. We need someone equal or better than Klefbom bare min.

Nurse just gets overwhelmed IMO if he's forced to play 30mins ish every game. Limit it to 20ish and, despite being Jekyll and Hyde, he's still serviceable.

Reactions: TheBasementDweller

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Regardless of ones opinion of another poster posts like this are worse and should not be here. Be better.
It's a little hard to take your plea seriously when one, you've displayed a singular and unfair focus on calling out posters repeatedly (without reading their posts) who criticize Draisaitl and Talbot even when that criticism is warranted. And two, ignore this particular poster's divorce from reality when discussing this player no matter what.

If you take offense with my designation of the poster, ignore me.

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Imagine if we had actually dealt Nurse for Nylander like Raab wanted so badly. We’d have another winger who producing worse than Puljujarvi and by far the weakest defense in the league right now.

Nurse has had his down moment this year and a few tough games but he’s been good-excellent more often than not. He also is our only Dman playing right now (besides Jones) that shows an ounce of hockey IQ combined with natural ability at both ends of the ice.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's a little hard to take your plea seriously when one, you've displayed a singular and unfair focus on calling out posters repeatedly (without reading their posts) who criticize Draisaitl and Talbot even when that criticism is warranted. And two, ignore this particular poster's divorce from reality when discussing this player no matter what.

If you take offense with my designation of the poster, ignore me.

Cite one post where I've made such a derogatory allusion towards another poster.

Take your time.

Your post was nothing less than defamation of another poster.

I don't agree with Raab on anything either, regarding Nurse, but I would stop short of the poor taste nature of post you apparently find acceptable.

I wouldn't ignore you because I find you to be a generally agreeable poster. Just that you go too far as per the cited post.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Imagine if we had actually dealt Nurse for Nylander like Raab wanted so badly. We’d have another winger who producing worse than Puljujarvi and by far the weakest defense in the league right now.

Nurse has had his down moment this year and a few tough games but he’s been good-excellent more often than not. He also is our only Dman playing right now (besides Jones) that shows an ounce of hockey IQ combined with natural ability at both ends of the ice.
No kidding. I don't think Nylander is a bad player (certainly not as bad as he's showing at the moment) but I think that contract is going to be an albatross for the Leafs. Especially when Marner and Matthews sign their new new deals. He'd be a pretty solid fit on McDavid's flank, but not at the expense of one of our only performing defensemen who has been developed correctly and is still getting better.

The scary thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if Chia is of the same mindset as some of the posters who are advocating that very thing.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
No kidding. I don't think Nylander is a bad player (certainly not as bad as he's showing at the moment) but I think that contract is going to be an albatross for the Leafs. Especially when Marner and Matthews sign their new new deals. He'd be a pretty solid fit on McDavid's flank, but not at the expense of one of our only performing defensemen who has been developed correctly and is still getting better.

The scary thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if Chia is of the same mindset as some of the posters who are advocating that very thing.

Chia was probably in negotiations to trade Nurse for Manning the last year!

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Cite one post where I've made such a derogatory allusion towards another poster.

Take your time.

Your post was nothing less than defamation of another poster.

I don't agree with Raab on anything either, regarding Nurse, but I would stop short of the poor taste nature of post you apparently find acceptable.

I wouldn't ignore you because I find you to be a generally agreeable poster. Just that you go too far as per the cited post.

Is there a way to look at posts where you’ve quoted me?? Or was that the other replacement?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
102.1 MPH shot and he likes to shoot the puck. Darnell can stay as far as I'm concerned.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
I was also the one saying he’d be looking for 5.5M long term... I’m not worried about the amount he’ll make on his next contract. I just look at the Klefbom and Larsson contracts as good value deals.
Then what contract situation are you talking about if you are not worried about the amount?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Then what contract situation are you talking about if you are not worried about the amount?

Im saying who would you rather keep if Klefbom is making 4.1, Larsson is at 4.1 and Nurse is at 6? For me I dont think Nurse brings 1.5-2M more then the other two at this point. You also have to consider what you can bring back due to the contracts. If you trade Nurse you can bring in a higher paid forward like Tarasenko for example. Trade the other two and you really only have room for a 4-5M winger coming back.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
102.1 MPH shot and he likes to shoot the puck. Darnell can stay as far as I'm concerned.
His shots he likes to use in game are wristers just like Shultz though. If you have this hard of a shot punish the shot blockers but nurses shots usually wind up wide when he slaps it because his aim isnt that great.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
His shots he likes to use in game are wristers just like Shultz though. If you have this hard of a shot punish the shot blockers but nurses shots usually wind up wide when he slaps it because his aim isnt that great.

Like all of our Dmen unfortunately haha

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Credit where credit is due. I've liked Nurse lately. Last 8 games he has only been minus once and he has 4 points and is +6 in that stretch while playing some very big minutes. Only one game at 20:46, every other game has been 26 minutes or more. Looks like he has started to find his groove. Really like him on the PP as well, doing a much much better job than Klefbom has the last 2 years in that role. Two points and +1 through 2 periods tonight as well. Nice to see him finally come on. Hope he can keep this up.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Im saying who would you rather keep if Klefbom is making 4.1, Larsson is at 4.1 and Nurse is at 6? For me I dont think Nurse brings 1.5-2M more then the other two at this point. You also have to consider what you can bring back due to the contracts. If you trade Nurse you can bring in a higher paid forward like Tarasenko for example. Trade the other two and you really only have room for a 4-5M winger coming back.
"at this point" Darnell Nurse has a $3.2M cap thru next season. I think you are mistaken/confused or I've completely missed your point.

imo Klefbom is the Oilers most valuable pieces w.r.t. a trade. He should bring more than Nurse.
"Klefbom is a young top four defenseman on a more than team friendly contract on a team that is devoid of defensive talent. With that considered, the Rangers would have to make a huge offer to the Oilers in the hopes of even getting a consideration."
source: New York Rangers: Trade Target Oscar Klefbom

Tarasenko, like Klefbom is on a great contract. If you could trade him for Nurse 1:1 that's a good trade, but I don't see it happening. Like the Oilers most teams have 4 or 5 guys at $3M+ on defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad