Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Nurse is on pace to get paid well on his next contract.

A couple things.

Nurse is improving and I see no reason to think this will stop anytime soon. It's common for defensemen to take until 28 to become what they will be.

I want Nurse on this team to see what he ends up. I currently think he will develop into a very good top 3 guy for a 1st or second pairing. In other words I think he will be a very good #2 guy just projecting his development. I don't believe he is a positive impact top 3 defender yet.

The problem, as many are discussing, is that we have a lot of depth but little elite quality. Unfortunately with Sekera and Klefbom injury history I don't see a fix in terms or trading.

Next year we will be forced to run with: Klef, Nurse, Sekera, Larsson, Russell, and Benning because we have too many injuries and not enough elite talent. Even Russell and Benning would be extremely tough to move from.

Benning has been bad but he is a right shot and guys like Jones or Bear or Bouchard really can't be penciled in yet.

If everyone stays healthy the Oilers are in good shape on the backend and can use the year to properly develop their players and prospects.

Nurse would be pushed down the lineup in the situation and that would be good for his development and contract negotiations.

I think the "picture" of how the defense moves forward becomes much clearer at this point next year. In a good way I expect... For once.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
On pace for approximately 40 pts, and in the top 30 currently. A very rare pace for an Oilers dman.

He's definitely upped his game, and has not shown stagnation in his development.

How far can he go?

Reactions: nabob

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
On pace for approximately 40 pts, and in the top 30 currently. A very rare pace for an Oilers dman.

He's definitely upped his game, and has not shown stagnation in his development.

How far can he go?

His offense has come a long way but next season he will need to find a better balance and improve his defense. If he can do that he will be a stud defenseman for us.

Reactions: North

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
His offense has come a long way but next season he will need to find a better balance and improve his defense. If he can do that he will be a stud defenseman for us.
He's well on his way at being a stud for us, The Tower of Power, too sweet to be sour, the man of the hour Darnell Nurse!

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Nurse seems to have good off ice work ethic. If he has a big time summer, watch out. Guaranteed traded for cap space to add Bieksa.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It’s kind of crazy how bipolar this fan base is towards Nurse. He’s steadily improved since coming into the league while playing tougher minutes than he should be with poor D partners for most of the time. Thing that I’m most happy about this year is that he seems to really have improved his shot.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
It’s kind of crazy how bipolar this fan base is towards Nurse. He’s steadily improved since coming into the league while playing tougher minutes than he should be with poor D partners for most of the time. Thing that I’m most happy about this year is that he seems to really have improved his shot.

It's not really bi polar fans, it's just he hasn't made a bad play yet tonight so the vocal haters haven't come out yet.

I've noticed this for the majority of the team. This fanbase has a set of fans who between games and while they're playing well may make a one off comment about nurse playing well, but it's usually ignored or gets a few likes and everyone moves on, which is fine.

Then you have the fans who's mission it is to jump down every other persons throat as soon as the player makes a bad play, nurse being another prime example.

Since last game I've noticed he's seen a bit of praise around here, but with attention rightfully drawn to his defensive deficiencies this year. No hatred though just seems to be cautious optimism that's he's playing well offensively but needs to balance it out.

The second he makes a turnover tonight though, the gdt will be flooded with the vocal haters saying things like "wHeRe ThE nUrSe DeFeNdErS nOw???!!??" Which just gives the rest of the irrational hatred fans the comfort they need to pile on. Most fans realize these people are never ever going to change their mind, so they ignore it and let them tire themselves out, just for them to go away when the game is over, waiting for the next poor play.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I like Nurse, and I expect good things in his future. He's clearly an NHL defenseman with considerable potential that, since last season, he's beginning to realize.

That said, he's been on the ice for more goals against his team than for his team for 4 years in a row and counting. The issue, of course, is that the Oilers lack depth in all areas (except maybe center) and are forced to overplay Nurse in situations where he isn't necessarily ready or best-suited.

But anyway, I like his skating, his offensive up-side, his toughness, and his level of 'compete'.

The niggling problem with Nurse is simply his hockey-IQ, which is kind of average. He doesn't always process the plays at full speed, and he frequently makes poor decisions at key moments.

He's just turned 24 and he (over-)plays for a thin team. I think we'll see Nurse at his best in about two or three years, hopefully still as an Oiler.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I like Nurse, and I expect good things in his future. He's clearly an NHL defenseman with considerable potential that, since last season, he's beginning to realize.

That said, he's been on the ice for more goals against his team than for his team for 4 years in a row and counting. The issue, of course, is that the Oilers lack depth in all areas (except maybe center) and are forced to overplay Nurse in situations where he isn't necessarily ready or best-suited.

But anyway, I like his skating, his offensive up-side, his toughness, and his level of 'compete'.

The niggling problem with Nurse is simply his hockey-IQ, which is kind of average. He doesn't always process the plays at full speed, and he frequently makes poor decisions at key moments.

He's just turned 24 and he (over-)plays for a thin team. I think we'll see Nurse at his best in about two or three years, hopefully still as an Oiler.

I think a lot of the times, it stems from his inability to read what's around him. It's like defensively, he's staring into space unless the person he's supposed to cover is literally in front of him [and even that he screws up] or offensively, he just kind of fires the puck without looking ahead or into a corner for some unknown reason.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's not really bi polar fans, it's just he hasn't made a bad play yet tonight so the vocal haters haven't come out yet.

I've noticed this for the majority of the team. This fanbase has a set of fans who between games and while they're playing well may make a one off comment about nurse playing well, but it's usually ignored or gets a few likes and everyone moves on, which is fine.

Then you have the fans who's mission it is to jump down every other persons throat as soon as the player makes a bad play, nurse being another prime example.

Since last game I've noticed he's seen a bit of praise around here, but with attention rightfully drawn to his defensive deficiencies this year. No hatred though just seems to be cautious optimism that's he's playing well offensively but needs to balance it out.

The second he makes a turnover tonight though, the gdt will be flooded with the vocal haters saying things like "wHeRe ThE nUrSe DeFeNdErS nOw???!!??" Which just gives the rest of the irrational hatred fans the comfort they need to pile on. Most fans realize these people are never ever going to change their mind, so they ignore it and let them tire themselves out, just for them to go away when the game is over, waiting for the next poor play.

Think you pretty much nailed it. It’s almost like some fans are just waiting for him to make a single mistake in a game just so they can feel right.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The issue for me is he's being played in situations that he is not suited for. He should not be anywhere close to top 10 in minutes played by defenseman. He should not have been on our 1st unit PP for as long as he was. He's a 2nd pairing defenseman. I think he would thrive in that role, but he's asked to do too much. Needs his role simplified. He has 9 PP points this season. On a good team he would have less PP time and would be sitting around 30 points. I see a lot of mistakes despite the career season. I'm not complaining about 40 points, just trying to be realistic. I don't see him as that kind of producer going forward unless we remain a bottom feeder giving him as much ice time as he's had. I would rather see him be that 2nd pairing shutdown beast with 10-15 points knocked off than what he is right now. Our version of Dmitry Orlov. Just my opinion. Of course he's only 24, there is a lot of growth left.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad