Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Also worth pointing out that in the off season Raab was saying how Parayko who is 2 years older is in a different league offensively than Nurse but Nurse has twice the points as him this year so far. I remember the ridiculous trade proppsal of what would need to be added to Nurse to trade for Paryako.

And yet everytime Parayko has played with Mcdavid he's been close to a PPG defenceman. Your not looking at the opportunity both players are getting Parayko plays behind Pietrangelo in St. Louis. Put him on the top pairing here and I think you'd be surprised at the points he'd put up. On top of that Parayko was our best defenceman at the WHC's this summer. So yes I would have given up Nurse easily for him and still would. Also I think people are discounting how much Larsson has had to cover for Nurse. The last game I watched Larsson was basically playing like a lone dman.

Edit to show how nice Parayko fits here:

Klefbom-Parayko
Sekera/Russell-Larsson
Jones/Sekera-Russell/Petrovic
Gravel/Manning

Last edited:

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
And yet everytime Parayko has played with Mcdavid he's been close to a PPG defenceman. Your not looking at the opportunity both players are getting Parayko plays behind Pietrangelo in St. Louis. Put him on the top pairing here and I think you'd be surprised at the points he'd put up. On top of that Parayko was our best defenceman at the WHC's this summer. So yes I would have given up Nurse easily for him and still would. Also I think people are discounting how much Larsson has had to cover for Nurse. The last game I watched Larsson was basically playing like a lone dman.
I guess that's why we finished 4th in the tournament.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013

The last game I watched Nurse played over 31 minutes, had a goal and an assist, 8 shots on net, and was a +3 while Larsson played under 17 minutes and was a -3.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The last game I watched Nurse played over 31 minutes, had a goal and an assist, 8 shots on net, and was a +3 while Larsson played under 17 minutes and was a -3.

Well its a good thing we dont base a players entire worth off one game... If Nurse is that good we should have no problem getting a top line winger if we decided to trade him. Someone like Pastrnak comes to mind.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
LOL, it just goes to show how muh Raabhart actually does watch the Oilers.
If that post doesn't scream agenda, then I'm at a loss.

Ive been busy, I usually dont start watching a lot of hockey until January. I hunt all fall, then its right into Christmas. January-May Long I dont usually have as much going on but this year I'll be doing some schooling so might not have as much time as usual.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Well its a good thing we dont base a players entire worth off one game... If Nurse is that good we should have no problem getting a top line winger if we decided to trade him. Someone like Pastrnak comes to mind.

It is a good thing, as long as we all do it.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It's Jeff f***ing Petry all over again. Nurse is exactly the type of guy you want to build around. I don't care where he was drafted or what some people think he should be as a hockey player. This team has been starved for good, homegrown defense for years, and people are literally walking around like, "Yeah well he'll never be a #1 might as well trade him."

Uhh, what? Who gives a shit if he's not doing to be Drew Doughty or Brent Burns? He's a really good second pairing guy who has gotten markedly better every year since his draft. He's being asked to do way more than everyone acknowledges even after a rocky start, and has now found his stride like he does every single year. He's mean, he's mobile, and you get rid of Russell and Sekera however you can so you can sign him to a long-term deal.

People be like "Oilers gonna Oiler!"
Now I'm thinking some fans are worse.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
It's Jeff ****ing Petry all over again. Nurse is exactly the type of guy you want to build around. I don't care where he was drafted or what some people think he should be as a hockey player. This team has been starved for good, homegrown defense for years, and people are literally walking around like, "Yeah well he'll never be a #1 might as well trade him."

Uhh, what? Who gives a **** if he's going to be Drew Doughty or Brent Burns? He's a really good second pairing guy who has gotten markedly better every year since his draft. He's being asked to do way more than everyone acknowledges even after a rocky start, and how now found his stride like he does every single year. He's mean, he's mobile, and you get rid of Russell and Sekera however you can so you can sign him to a long-term deal.

Russel has nothing to do with Nurse. Completely different types of dmen.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It's Jeff ****ing Petry all over again. Nurse is exactly the type of guy you want to build around. I don't care where he was drafted or what some people think he should be as a hockey player. This team has been starved for good, homegrown defense for years, and people are literally walking around like, "Yeah well he'll never be a #1 might as well trade him."

Uhh, what? Who gives a **** if he's going to be Drew Doughty or Brent Burns? He's a really good second pairing guy who has gotten markedly better every year since his draft. He's being asked to do way more than everyone acknowledges even after a rocky start, and has now found his stride like he does every single year. He's mean, he's mobile, and you get rid of Russell and Sekera however you can so you can sign him to a long-term deal.

The whole thing with trading Nurse will come down to cost. What does he cost to re-sign? My whole argument this summer is that we should have traded him for a top pairing winger if he was asking for 5.5M+ on a long term deal. It was clear as day this summer that the team was missing scoring up front. As usual Chia did nothing to address that deficiency and as a result the team has predictably struggled.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
The whole thing with trading Nurse will come down to cost. What does he cost to re-sign? My whole argument this summer is that we should have traded him for a top pairing winger if he was asking for 5.5M+ on a long term deal. It was clear as day this summer that the team was missing scoring up front. As usual Chia did nothing to address that deficiency and as a result the team has predictably struggled.
I thought he was a terrible player. How can you possibly get a top line winger for such a player.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I thought he was a terrible player. How can you possibly get a top line winger for such a player.

Well considering who I wanted to trade him for this summer, its hard to say I view him as terrible. Overrated yes, terrible no. Same thing happened with RNH. Reinhart has 41 points so far this year, Nylander obviously hasnt done well, but I believe thats due to his late start.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Thank God he wasn't traded, as the d corps couldn't handle losing Sekera last year, and nothing was done to shore it up this year when he went down again. Followed by Klefbom and Russell.

Nurse isn't getting you a top line winger scoring 70-80 points. Someone else around here suggested someone like Nylander. Even if you trade Nurse for him, now you're banking on Caleb Jones being a top 4 guy with 15 games under his belt. It just perpetuates the entire cycle of Oiler futility that's been going on for 20 years.

Reactions: nabob

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Thank God he wasn't traded, as the d corps couldn't handle losing Sekera last year, and nothing was done to shore it up this year when he went down again. Followed by Klefbom and Russell.

Nurse isn't getting you a top line winger scoring 70-80 points. Someone else around here suggested someone like Nylander. Even if you trade Nurse for him, now you're banking on Caleb Jones being a top 4 guy with 15 games under his belt. It just perpetuates the entire cycle of Oiler futility that's been going on for 20 years.

I suggested Nylander all summer and it was blatantly implied that I had a certain derogatory view towards Nurse because of how he was born. Funny how things change.

In saying that I think that Chiasson over performing has hid a bit of the scoring problems this team faced going into the season. And your looking at it too near term. When I was looking at the team this summer I was looking 2-3 years out when I believe we can be truly competitive again. For me having all of Klefbom, Larsson, Bouchard on the roster in the next 2 years, I was willing to move a bit of LH depth for long term scoring help. I looked at it as pairs. Going into 2020-2021 we could theoretically have had this as a basis for the lineup:

RNH-Mcdavid-?
?-Draisaitl-Nylander

Klefbom-Larsson
?-Bouchard

It also was on the assumption Nurse wanted 5.5M long term. I was willing to pay Nylander 6-7M in that case.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I suggested Nylander all summer and it was blatantly implied that I had a certain derogatory view towards Nurse because of how he was born. Funny how things change.

In saying that I think that Chiasson over performing has hid a bit of the scoring problems this team faced going into the season. And your looking at it too near term. When I was looking at the team this summer I was looking 2-3 years out when I believe we can be truly competitive again. For me having all of Klefbom, Larsson, Bouchard on the roster in the next 2 years, I was willing to move a bit of LH depth for long term scoring help. I looked at it as pairs. Going into 2020-2021 we could theoretically have had this as a basis for the lineup:

RNH-Mcdavid-?
?-Draisaitl-Nylander

Klefbom-Larsson
?-Bouchard

It also was on the assumption Nurse wanted 5.5M long term. I was willing to pay Nylander 6-7M in that case.
This team can't go another 2-3 years without making the playoffs. There's no way McDavid would stay. Short term and long term, this team is better with Darnell Nurse than without him. They need to shed salary and retain his services. He's part of your core.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: booyakasha

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This team can't go another 2-3 years without making the playoffs. There's no way McDavid would stay. Short term and long term, this team is better with Darnell Nurse than without him. They need to shed salary and retain his services. He's part of your core.

Just my opinion.

What team is more likely to make the playoffs?

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie
Rieder-Draisaitl-Chaisson
Spooner-Khaira-Kassian
Lucic-Brodziak-Puljujarvi

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-Petrovic
Benning/Gravel

or

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie
Rieder-Draisaitl-Nylander/Reinhart
Spooner-Khaira-Chiasson
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Petrovic
Sekera-Benning
Gravel

We can literally trade Nurse for a really good forward and not have it hurt us to much. Could also trade Klefbom, I just figure his contract status is better, but maybe because he gets hurt so much he's a good guy to move instead.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie
Spooner-Khaira-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-Petrovic
Benning/Gravel

or

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie
Spooner-Khaira-Chiasson
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Petrovic
Sekera-Benning
Gravel

We can literally trade Nurse for a really good forward and not have it hurt us to much. Could also trade Klefbom, I just figure his contract status is better, but maybe because he gets hurt so much he's a good guy to move instead.
Not have it hurt us much? If petrovic is that good that it won’t hurt us much why don’t we just sign and trade him for a decent haul.

Once again though your obvious bias against nurse shows

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie
Spooner-Khaira-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-Petrovic
Benning/Gravel

or

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie
Spooner-Khaira-Chiasson
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Petrovic
Sekera-Benning
Gravel

A team with Russel-Petrovic as a 2nd pair is not maiking the playoffs....and a 2nd line of Reider-Drai-Nylander???
geebus, Raab c'mon, you can do better.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
A team with Russel-Petrovic as a 2nd pair is not maiking the playoffs....and a 2nd line of Reider-Drai-Nylander???
geebus, Raab c'mon, you can do better.

And a team with 3 players over 50 points is? We might not have more then 4 forwards who hit 30 points. You guys need to face reality. If we want a good young 60+ point winger. It’ll cost one of Klefbom, Larsson or Nurse.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
And a team with 3 players over 50 points is? We might not have more then 4 forwards who hit 30 points. You guys need to face reality. If we want a good young 60+ point winger. It’ll cost one of Klefbom, Larsson or Nurse.
so we give up Hall to get Larsson, only to trade Larsson to get Eberle.
Brilliant.

Reactions: harpoon

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
so we give up Hall to get Larsson, only to trade Larsson to get Eberle.
Brilliant.

How many points did Hall have the year before we traded him? Heck the two years before we traded him? I liked Hall but let’s not pretend he was a league leader in scoring. If we could get a 60-75 point winger who can drive the play, I’d trade Nurse for that. But I like the Klefbom-Larsson pairing. Some others obviously like Nurse more then the latter two. Point still stands if we want another young point producing winger it’ll cost us. Until we’re willing to move a real piece we’ll have to be content with the Spooners of the world.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
How many points did Hall have the year before we traded him? Heck the two years before we traded him? I liked Hall but let’s not pretend he was a league leader in scoring. If we could get a 60-75 point winger who can drive the play, I’d trade Nurse for that. But I like the Klefbom-Larsson pairing. Some others obviously like Nurse more then the latter two. Point still stands if we want another young point producing winger it’ll cost us. Until we’re willing to move a real piece we’ll have to be content with the Spooners of the world.

I dunno dude. This team has precious little offence from the blue line as is, Nurse looks like the only guy capable of maybe getting 40 points back there since Klefbom will get injured from sneezing too hard one of these days.

Trade him and then you're banking on who ... a young Evan Bouchard to run the offence? That's a recipe to Justin Schultz him.

I think unfortunately now we're just going to have to be patient, get a new GM, and bide our time for forward upgrades when the time comes.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00