Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Why is it hard to believe that Chia brought those two in to try and make nurse expendable? It’s very plausible that was a part of his plan.
giphy.gif

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Why is it hard to believe that Chia brought those two in to try and make nurse expendable? It’s very plausible that was a part of his plan.

Petrovic is an impending UFA and Chia very explicitly called Manning a third pairing guy.

You'd really have to reach for that one.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I would assume that has to do with Nurse playing lots with Russell.

He gets beat up in shot shares, but does fairly well in goal share.
I'd have to look that up, but I do recall a stretch last season where Russel and Nurse were killing it together.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
A- thats bullshit
b- Chia has made horrific evaluations. Not on that though

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Curious indeed, but quick to bury him the minute a goal is scored whether it's his fault or not. Gets me thinking, must be almost something different about him :sarcasm: because the guy who was traded for Hall is out there getting outplayed by rookie but you don't hear a peep about him.

They'd probably appreciate him more in Toronto thought, I am sure of that.
He'd fit in beautifully with the Leafs. In that situation and with that team, no doubt he'd flourish.

Same crap when it comes to Jones. Guy is playing with a partner who is complete shit lately like you mentioned and I saw a whole bunch of posts focusing on Jones as the issue last night.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He'd fit in beautifully with the Leafs. In that situation and with that team, no doubt he'd flourish.

Same crap when it comes to Jones. Guy is playing with a partner who is complete **** lately like you mentioned and I saw a whole bunch of posts focusing on Jones as the issue last night.
Glad someone else can see Larsson struggling. I wonder what’s up.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016

Same crap when it comes to Jones. Guy is playing with a partner who is complete **** lately like you mentioned and I saw a whole bunch of posts focusing on Jones as the issue last night.
A kid who's got like 10 games under his belt and is trusted to play top 4 minutes, 6 on 5 situations and OT is the problem? Getting picked up in the Seattle expansion draft might be the best outcome for the kid...:help:

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Just looked at some numbers, I'm racking my memory, and unless I'm missing someone... 16 points in 17 games is the best 17 game offensive stretch of any Oilers defenceman in the last ten years. Visnovsky came close, Whitney had a similar stretch... But I think this is the best!

Which really surprises me even more with the muted "ya it's an alright run" kinda talk. This is a 23 year old physical specimen putting up these numbers.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I don't know if I should be surprised that there's been more recent talk in the Brandon Manning Player Discussion thread than about a defender who has 16 points in his last 17 games. Seems like when Nurse wasn't getting special teams/1st pairing minutes, everybody was happy to call out his lack of IQ. Now that he's showing top end results, not a peep?

I'm happy to say I personally was wrong about Darnell's ceiling. 17 games isn't a fluke. The scary thing is, he still has growth potential at both ends of the ice.

What? The guy had a great game against Florida no doubt but he's still a very mixed bag defensively, having the same issues he's always had. He's looked more bad than good in Klefbom's absence. One very good game isn't enough to change that. People sure have short memories around here when it comes to certain players.

What I will say though is that it's very encouraging to see him produce offensively. Specifically I like how good he has been at getting his shots through, both on the PP and otherwise. That has been a huge help and something this team has really needed.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just looked at some numbers, I'm racking my memory, and unless I'm missing someone... 16 points in 17 games is the best 17 game offensive stretch of any Oilers defenceman in the last ten years. Visnovsky came close, Whitney had a similar stretch... But I think this is the best!

Which really surprises me even more with the muted "ya it's an alright run" kinda talk. This is a 23 year old physical specimen putting up these numbers.

heh, just so everybody knows I don't know who this poster is. Do I have a mini me? Just so you know you're going to get razzed about the username once in awhile.

Anyway I'm a big Nurse fan and I've seen this budding offensive dynamic game from Nurse for quite awhile. He's growing it and for years he's been the best D to work off of Draisaitl in particular. Nurse really reads moving up in the trailer and he's hands down the best moving the puck up the ice D this club has.

I often bring up that Nurse is only 23 and he's showing signs of potential elite production from a D. He has silky smooth offensive ability with the puck, is a good skater, and reads open ice well. He makes carrying the puck so easy compared to our other D.

I missed the OT in last game due to the shitty Snet telecast tech issues. Did Nurse play much on 3 on 3 with McDrai? Its where he should be.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think Yawney needs some credit as well.

Maybe just for continued focus. Darnell has always had these aspects in his game. It takes big strong offensive D longer to show their moxy. A bit of Nurse growing into his body. As a D this guy can be a corvette. Moves and handles real well. Always enjoyed watching him with the puck. He has so much confidence with it for a D. We haven't seen anything like this for years here.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
heh, just so everybody knows I don't know who this poster is. Do I have a mini me? Just so you know you're going to get razzed about the username once in awhile.

Anyway I'm a big Nurse fan and I've seen this budding offensive dynamic game from Nurse for quite awhile. He's growing it and for years he's been the best D to work off of Draisaitl in particular. Nurse really reads moving up in the trailer and he's hands down the best moving the puck up the ice D this club has.

I often bring up that Nurse is only 23 and he's showing signs of potential elite production from a D. He has silky smooth offensive ability with the puck, is a good skater, and reads open ice well. He makes carrying the puck so easy compared to our other D.

I missed the OT in last game due to the ****ty Snet telecast tech issues. Did Nurse play much on 3 on 3 with McDrai? Its where he should be.

Replacement replying to replacement

PaleUnawareEider-small.gif

Reactions: TB12 and nabob

Dakinjor

Nov 13, 2014

I missed the OT in last game due to the ****ty Snet telecast tech issues. Did Nurse play much on 3 on 3 with McDrai? Its where he should be.

He started the OT with them and had most of the ice time with them (Jones had a fair share with the mcdrai aswell)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
What? The guy had a great game against Florida no doubt but he's still a very mixed bag defensively, having the same issues he's always had. He's looked more bad than good in Klefbom's absence. One very good game isn't enough to change that. People sure have short memories around here when it comes to certain players.

What I will say though is that it's very encouraging to see him produce offensively. Specifically I like how good he has been at getting his shots through, both on the PP and otherwise. That has been a huge help and something this team has really needed.

If it was just Florida I'd agree with you. But it's been 17 games now, his pace is the best for an Oiler in a decade from what I've been able to find.

He'll have some highs and lows, I don't think anybody sees Nurse as a finished product. But 16 in 17 is objectively top end production. We'll see if he can maintain that consistency.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Actually that's not completely true. Woodguy pulled numbers from natural stat trick and found that over the last 2 seasons Klef was slightly better than Nurse in shot shares with and without McDavid but Nurse was much better in the goal share department with and without McDavid. And this is with similar quality of competition.

I was looking at this year alone. Last year you have to remember that Klef was playing hurt all year.

There were posters that though the acquisition of Petrovic and Manning meant Nurse was on the outs :laugh: how in the world do you interpret that :laugh:

*shrug*
Can't say I saw those posts.

Anyway the Oilers should still consider trading nurse while his value is at it's highest. He's on a heater right now but he's fooled us before.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Sure, he's made his far share of defensive mistakes, but he's outscored those mistakes for the most part.

He's even during this 17 game stretch. Which is pretty impressive considering how many losses are in there. Compare that to Larsson or Jones' -7, Petrovic's -5 and Manning's -3.

I feel like we've elevated "top pairing" status to some mythical level of perfect hockey. If Nurse was playing solid, above average defensive hockey while playing 30 minutes and scoring at a point-per-game, he'd be pretty close to the best defenseman in the entire league.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013

Gilbert finished 2009-2010 with 19 points in 16 games.

Reactions: replacement

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The offense has been there but I've been finding myself very unimpressed with his defense. He's definitely earned the right to keep the PP1 spot when Klef returns.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Zaddy

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
He could score over 50+ points this season. He is already on pace for 41 points

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Gilbert finished 2009-2010 with 19 points in 16 games.

Oh my god thank you, I knew there was somebody else who popped off. Just couldn't figure it out.

It does go to show that it could just be a really really good run. Hope he can keep it going!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad