Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I fully expect us to resign him. I would give up RNH instead

I would bet a pretty penny RNH and Nurse are walking away from this organization as fast as they possibly can.

Nurse has had his leverage just go up and up and up while reasons for signing go down and down and down.

If... if either of them sign I doubt Oilers fans will like the contracts.

Nurse very very very obviously has a high opinion of himself I fully expect him to explore UFA looking for top top top dollar.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I would bet a pretty penny RNH and Nurse are walking away from this organization as fast as they possibly can.

Nurse has had his leverage just go up and up and up while reasons for signing go down and down and down.

Nurse very very very obviously has a high opinion of himself I fully expect him to explore UFA looking for top top top dollar.
Where are you getting this from? "very very very obviously has a high opinion of himself"? Do you know the guy personally? If Nuge walks, we have enough to sign him. Do you want him to leave and Jeff Petry us again? You're so pessimistic man.

And why would Nurse leave a team that will be a top team eventually with McDavid and Draisaitl?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

As great as he’s looked I would be shocked if he got more than 7x7 even from the most desperate of clubs. He’ll re-sign here as long as his ask is congruent with management

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I think he looks a lot better with the puck and jumping into lanes. I was impressed by his offseason immediately in game 1. I said he looked good, was jumped all over, and then decided to take a break from GDT's as it was obviously despite no preseason that people were panicking and looking for perfection early and not skill set development (as you should early, you won't learn a lot about team play when the cobwebs are still present). Nurse will always make more mistakes than some will like but the truth is he also makes a lot more plays than most players are capable of given his mobility and size. I saw one poster criticize him earlier like he was awful for having to take that penalty on Marner despite the fact that he's Mitch f***ing Marner. It's like people don't consider that other teams have good players and they make plays too. Nurse is never going to be a great PP QB IMO but he can be an excellent two way defender and a useful guy in offensive situations. I have been arguing for a while that he still had upside and was still improving it's nice to see others are coming around. With his physical gifts his upside might not be reached until 30, much like a guy we ran out of town in Jeff Petry who's now a legit #1 dman. It's tough that he want's to get paid big bucks on his next deal but lets cross that bridge when we get there.

Last edited:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
To be fair, he remained steady the last couple of seasons but was really looking like he had hit his peak (#3) as he was hitting that typical games played mark / age.

He's taken it to the next level (top pairing) so far this season.

I disagree. I think the results from last season showed a real progress in comparison to the year before, his first as the Oilers tough minutes dman. Perhaps that's due to Bear being better than Russell but I think it's about experience more than anything myself. It takes time to learn how to deal with playing shift after shift against elite talent. I argued it all offseason. Look no further than the massive improvement the team had last season as proof.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I fully expect us to resign him. I would give up RNH instead

If he wants to be here. Which means he doesn't get the absolutely best possible deal as other teams will go higher.

More than 7 Million AAV and more than 6 years of term? Then he is just getting "his due" and doesn't care if he stays here or not.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
When Nurse needs another contract, we should have plenty of cap space to sign him to an extension.

Sometimes you have to pay an extra 500k on top of what you're willing to pay for your better players to be happy.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Where are you getting this from? "very very very obviously has a high opinion of himself"? Do you know the guy personally? If Nuge walks, we have enough to sign him. Do you want him to leave and Jeff Petry us again? You're so pessimistic man.

And why would Nurse leave a team that will be a top team eventually with McDavid and Draisaitl?

As great as he’s looked I would be shocked if he got more than 7x7 even from the most desperate of clubs. He’ll re-sign here as long as his ask is congruent with management

I think McYams17 has not paid attention to the new age thinking of UFAs. Most, if not all UFAs, now seek the status/freedom of being a UFA and fewer and fewer sign with their original team. The grass always seems greener especially when it is also typically greener in terms of pay and term.

I say he thinks highly of himself based off the rumors of his asking price and the crazy contract he got out of Holland.

As I mentioned, if the Oilers retain either Nuge or Nurse it will be based off a significant overpay.

Oilhawks. If he plays as good or better up to his UFA status... where he is clearly our #1 defenseman w/of Klefbom... I had previously used the OEL contract somewhat hyperbolic but if he can maintain or improve his current level of play... OEL might well be the starting point of negotiations.

I'm a Nurse fan but i think he is generally overpaid and very inconsistent, but as is, I still take him over OEL without question.

I apologize for being overly hyperbolic/negative about this but... This is the Oilers. I'm surprised anyone is truly thinking Nurse will avoid UFA status and/or resign with us barring a miracle. It's a very safe bet he will test UFA and subsequently move on. There is literally no reason he shouldn't test UFA. Lol McDavid and Draisaitl... he is a person who will advance his career just like anyone else would.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I think McYams17 has not paid attention to the new age thinking of UFAs. Most, if not all UFAs, now seek the status/freedom of being a UFA and fewer and fewer sign with their original team. The grass always seems greener especially when it is also typically greener in terms of pay and term.

I say he thinks highly of himself based off the rumors of his asking price and the crazy contract he got out of Holland.

As I mentioned, if the Oilers retain either Nuge or Nurse it will be based off a significant overpay.

Oilhawks. If he plays as good or better up to his UFA status... where he is clearly our #1 defenseman w/of Klefbom... I had previously used the OEL contract somewhat hyperbolic but if he can maintain or improve his current level of play... OEL might well be the starting point of negotiations.

I'm a Nurse fan but i think he is generally overpaid and very inconsistent, but as is, I still take him over OEL without question.

I apologize for being overly hyperbolic/negative about this but... This is the Oilers. I'm surprised anyone is truly thinking Nurse will avoid UFA status and/or resign with us barring a miracle. It's a very safe bet he will test UFA and subsequently move on. There is literally no reason he shouldn't test UFA. Lol McDavid and Draisaitl... he is a person who will advance his career just like anyone else would.
I disagree that 2 years @5.6 is a crazy contract. The guy has basically been our most steady, reliable defenseman for years now. It was also heavily reported that both sides fully intended to work out an extension after the first year and Nurse wants to stay an Oiler. Everything else you said on the matter is purely speculation on your part.

Everything thus far about Nurse has pointed to him re-signing. He's also showing this year to be capable of #1 duty. If he keeps that up why the hell wouldn't we pay him accordingly? Automatically jumping to the conclusion that our best players are going to absolutely walk the minute UFA hits is straight out of left field man.

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
Nurse has been playing well this year. With Klefbom likely done, I don’t think the Oilers can afford to lose Nurse. Nurse isn’t a #1 D but his role on an already fragile defence shouldn’t be ignored. Losing Nurse will be devastating for the back end and I don’t see how the Oilers can get a replacement that’s equal or better without overpaying in the free market or gutting the farm through a trade. Ideally we sign him long term for less than 7m a year.

Reactions: GOilers88

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I disagree that 2 years @5.6 is a crazy contract. The guy has basically been our most steady, reliable defenseman for years now. It was also heavily reported that both sides fully intended to work out an extension after the first year and Nurse wants to stay an Oiler. Everything else you said on the matter is purely speculation on your part.

Everything thus far about Nurse has pointed to him re-signing. He's also showing this year to be capable of #1 duty. If he keeps that up why the hell wouldn't we pay him accordingly? Automatically jumping to the conclusion that our best players are going to absolutely walk the minute UFA hits is straight out of left field man.

Not being an ass. Genuinely curious. What makes you think he will resign with us? I've only heard "speculation" that he may resign with us. Legally and historically speaking he won't.

5.6 is crazy for zero UFA years bought and how he was playing. Especially super super crazy with zero UFA years purchased. Absolutely insane imo.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Not being an ass. Genuinely curious. What makes you think he will resign with us? I've only heard "speculation" that he may resign with us. Legally and historically speaking he won't.

5.6 is crazy for zero UFA years bought and how he was playing. Especially super super crazy with zero UFA years purchased. Absolutely insane imo.
I recall at the time of the bridge being signed both camps were willing to work out an extension during the first offseason. Maybe I'm misremembering, I just don't see any signs indicating he has a huge ego or wants out of Edmonton. Seems to be baseless speculation to me. Could be I'm just doing the exact same thing though.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I recall at the time of the bridge being signed both camps were willing to work out an extension during the first offseason. Maybe I'm misremembering, I just don't see any signs indicating he has a huge ego or wants out of Edmonton. Seems to be baseless speculation to me. Could be I'm just doing the exact same thing though.

His camp, as far as I know, has said nothing one way or another.

Elliotte Friedman speculated Holland might have a handshake deal in place and he thinks Nurse camp is interested in staying with the Oilers. All speculation of course.

Where as I don't personally understand why Nurse would request a deal that takes him directly to UFA status with no intention of going to UFA... That just doesn't make sense and legally Nurse has every right to go to UFA status. More and more young players are aiming for this so they can go play where they want and get better deals.

The contract was a massive blunder by Holland. He absolutely should have signed him for 1 year or long term. It's Jeff Petry all over again otherwise.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Elliotte Friedman speculated Holland might have a handshake deal in place and he thinks Nurse camp is interested in staying with the Oilers. All speculation of course.

Where as I don't personally understand why Nurse would request a deal that takes him directly to UFA status with no intention of going to UFA... That just doesn't make sense and legally Nurse has every right to go to UFA status. More and more young players are aiming for this so they can go play where they want and get better deals.

The contract was a massive blunder by Holland. He absolutely should have signed him for 1 year or long term. It's Jeff Petry all over again otherwise.
It's only Jeff Petry if we trade him for Jack shit. I just think you're coming to conclusions you don't need to come to this early.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It's only Jeff Petry if we trade him for Jack shit. I just think you're coming to conclusions you don't need to come to this early.

I think the only rational conclusion since being signed is that Nurse is planning to test UFA.

I actually doubt Holland would even dream of trading Nurse for anything even if Nurse flat out told Holland he intends to go to UFA.

I think we will lose Nurse and not even get a token pick.

Hope I'm wrong but my brain doesn't let me believe Nurse will stay when he obviously bartered very hard for the right to walk away.

We could speculate the handshake deal mentioned by Friedman was based on how successful the Oilers are over these next two years... But that doesn't help anyone lol because the Oilers are not exactly powerhouses even likely to make the playoffs these next 2 years.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I think the only rational conclusion since being signed is that Nurse is planning to test UFA.

I actually doubt Holland would even dream of trading Nurse for anything even if Nurse flat out told Holland he intends to go to UFA.

Hope I'm wrong but my brain doesn't let me believe Nurse will stay when he obviously bartered very hard for the right to walk away.

We could speculate the handshake deal mentioned by Friedman was based on how successful the Oilers are over these next two years... But that doesn't help anyone lol because the Oilers are not exactly powerhouses even likely to make the playoffs these next 2 years.
I don't understand how that's a rational conclusion.

Agree to disagree.

Reactions: Aerchon and Samus44

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Nurse didn’t fight for the short term deal. That was Holland’s camp. Nurse wanted 8 years 8 million.

Reactions: Aerchon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

You know what is also all speculation?

your thoughts that nurse is leaving .

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Nurse didn’t fight for the short term deal. That was Holland’s camp. Nurse wanted 8 years 8 million.
So we don't want to sign Nurse to a big deal, and coming down to 5.6 on a bridge was a horrible idea too.

I guess the Jeff Petry route is the right course of action, lol.

Reactions: Aerchon and TB12

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
So we don't want to sign Nurse to a big deal, and coming down to 5.6 on a bridge was a horrible idea too.

I guess the Jeff Petry route is the right course of action, lol.
The player has to agree to sign the deal. What do you want him to do? Stay bullish on a deal not even close to the players wheelhouse and possibly have a hold out situation?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

The only logical conclusion? Are you serious? You know bridge contracts happen all the time right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad