Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Happy bday to you both.

Yeah, I echo the sentiment with Nurse. He's playing probably the best hockey of his career right now and looks like a legitimate top pairing D man.

I've quite liked him and Barrie together. I wonder if that stays even after Bear is back?

I wanted that pairing from the word go. The only downside is that Bear gets a major downgrade in his partner and he's still a young guy.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I am also eating some crow with Nurse. I see some regression coming with his offensive production but if he can maintain like 75% of what he is doing offensively, while staying where hes at defensively, we might have something here.

Would love to have seen this version Nurse on one pairing, with Klef on the other. Shame Klef couldnt go. Wish him the best and hope hes back soon.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I wanted that pairing from the word go. The only downside is that Bear gets a major downgrade in his partner and he's still a young guy.
I would consider dropping Bear down to the bottom pairing, to get some confidence back and his game in order. I think he's struggled a bit this year, and a stint with lesser opposition might help. Let Larsson, Nurse, Barrie and KK/Russell do some of the heavy lifting.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
been since Jeff Petry since the Oilers developed a D of this caliber themselves

We do develop players occasionally but if history is anything to go by there will be a brief contract dispute followed by a trade for cents on the dollar. (Followed by a Norris caliber season on his new team)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The other downside is that the pairing is way more porous defensively.

It’s tough, playing with Nurse seems to have activated Barrie’s offends in a big way but he is still brutal in the defensive end.

I trust a Nurse-Bear pairing in the Oilers end far more than any other pairing we can put together.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
The other downside is that the pairing is way more porous defensively.

It’s tough, playing with Nurse seems to have activated Barrie’s offends in a big way but he is still brutal in the defensive end.

I trust a Nurse-Bear pairing in the Oilers end far more than any other pairing we can put together.

Bear is a anchor for Nurse in the D zone, its such a bad pairing. Nurse deserves way better then Bear as a partner.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Options are rather limited from a proven perspective.

Or the league for that matter. If anyone considers Bear an anchor in the defensive zone their standards are pretty high. Maybe a couple dozen defenceman in the league that meet this standard and I'm not sure we can afford any of them.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Bear is a anchor for Nurse in the D zone, its such a bad pairing. Nurse deserves way better then Bear as a partner.
Bear has easily brought out the best in nurse we’ve ever seen. That pairing played the most minutes for us at even strength last year and was much more successful at that than the Klefbom-Larsson pairing. Even this year they’ve been a huge net positive from a goals for and against perspective. A couple games against Ottawa who have 1 win in 10 games doesn’t change that.

Reactions: NoSavesFromKosko

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Bear has easily brought out the best in nurse we’ve ever seen. That pairing played the most minutes for us at even strength last year and was much more successful at that than the Klefbom-Larsson pairing. Even this year they’ve been a huge net positive from a goals for and against perspective. A couple games against Ottawa who have 1 win in 10 games doesn’t change that.

Nurse made Barrie look better though.

Seems to help anyone they pair with him.

Oh god, I hope they don't try and foist Larsson on him.

Reactions: GOilers88

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

If Bear brought out the best of Nurse then why is he playing the best he has without him? :huh:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
A select few posters and I were defending Nurse on this board for years. I wonder how many people on this board are now eating crow :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad