Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The only logical conclusion? Are you serious? You know bridge contracts happen all the time right?

No offense but this is not a bridge contract. This is a UFA contract with zero years paid for. It "could" very well be his last contract in an Oilers uniform.

Thus this whole conversation. I think a 5.6 mill bridge contract is by and large not even a true bridge deal in terms of money.

A bridge deal imo requires RFA status and some kind of savings. Neither happened in this case.

Reactions: Snipes45

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
No offense but this is not a bridge contract. This is a UFA contract with zero years paid for. It "could" very well be his last contract in an Oilers uniform.

Thus this whole conversation. I think a 5.6 mill bridge contract is by and large not even a true bridge deal in terms of money.

A bridge deal imo requires RFA status and some kind of savings. Neither happened in this case.
You are correct about the bridge contract. My bad. What I meant to say is they couldn’t afford to sign him for more at the time so they signed him to a short 2 year fill in deal.

Reactions: Aerchon

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Is there a reason why we can't sign Nurse to 8 years and not 7 years? Don't we own his rights? Just curious cause I keep seeing people only throwing 7 years term

Reactions: NoSavesFromKosko

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
How can anyone criticize that deal and come to weird conclusions? When it was signed there was a heavy media narrative that both sides wanted a long term deal but the dollars weren't there yet. I think it's great, we get to know what Nurse is and then sign him in the prime of his career when regression is unlikely. It's to the benefit of him and the team if he proves himself more before getting the big dollars as he's still developing. Given Covid it became particularly ideal. I think Holland showed faith to Nurse by taking him to UFA and Nurse showed faith to Holland by taking a solid raise and fair contract before the off season even happened. If Nurse wants to take the team to the cleaners then deal him for an influx of players and accelerate Jones, Lagesson, Broberg, Samorukov. The Oilers shouldn't be desperate and I don't think Nurse wants to leave. I bet it works out fair for both sides, there seems to exist a fair amount of goodwill based on media reports and common sense.

Reactions: GOilers88

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Only team I see Nurse leaving for is Toronto but Rielly contract is also up that year so I doubt they have the $$ to sign Nurse

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think McYams17 has not paid attention to the new age thinking of UFAs. Most, if not all UFAs, now seek the status/freedom of being a UFA and fewer and fewer sign with their original team. The grass always seems greener especially when it is also typically greener in terms of pay and term.

I say he thinks highly of himself based off the rumors of his asking price and the crazy contract he got out of Holland.

As I mentioned, if the Oilers retain either Nuge or Nurse it will be based off a significant overpay.

Oilhawks. If he plays as good or better up to his UFA status... where he is clearly our #1 defenseman w/of Klefbom... I had previously used the OEL contract somewhat hyperbolic but if he can maintain or improve his current level of play... OEL might well be the starting point of negotiations.

I'm a Nurse fan but i think he is generally overpaid and very inconsistent, but as is, I still take him over OEL without question.

I apologize for being overly hyperbolic/negative about this but... This is the Oilers. I'm surprised anyone is truly thinking Nurse will avoid UFA status and/or resign with us barring a miracle. It's a very safe bet he will test UFA and subsequently move on. There is literally no reason he shouldn't test UFA. Lol McDavid and Draisaitl... he is a person who will advance his career just like anyone else would.

Sorry, I don't buy into your take. Many teams sign their better players before they reach UFA status. We've seen the UFA pool diminish somewhat over time as team's strive to lock up their best players before they fit the unrestricted free agent market. Sure a Petroangelo will shake out but he had contentious negotiation with the Blues and ultimately neither party would budge.

As a fan, we only have access to the tip of the iceberg when it comes to contract negotiations. We hear speculation and rumours about numbers that seep out (usually by agents who have a vested interest to leak) but we don't have access to the depth of dialogue and discussions involved for complex negotiations. So much is relationship driven and we have little reason to think the Oilers and Nurse's camp have had anything but positive, constructive dialogue about calibrating the price and term to keep a cornerstone guy on a developing team. Based on the limited iceberg tip I can see, I have strong faith Nurse wants to stay and be part of a strong core leadership group as this team looks close-ish to taking the next step and Holland as a fair, straight shooter who will find the market value price point to keep Nurse. The Oilers have bungled so much in their rebuilds but they have consistently signed their quality young cornerstone players often at premium betting on the average value to tip in team favour as the players mature into peak years. Petry was a glaring exception, and likely a strong reminder of letting high quality talent leave.

This year, Nurse is forcing the issue with strong growth in his game and across the board stat lines so the dollar amount will be closer to Trouba's overpayment than Morrissey. I don't see any reason to believe both parties will find a long-term deal that keeps Nurse in Edmonton. No certainty but we have no access to the depth of relationship and dialogue between Nurse and Holland/Oilers.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
How can anyone criticize that deal and come to weird conclusions? When it was signed there was a heavy media narrative that both sides wanted a long term deal but the dollars weren't there yet. I think it's great, we get to know what Nurse is and then sign him in the prime of his career when regression is unlikely. It's to the benefit of him and the team if he proves himself more before getting the big dollars as he's still developing. Given Covid it became particularly ideal. I think Holland showed faith to Nurse by taking him to UFA and Nurse showed faith to Holland by taking a solid raise and fair contract before the off season even happened. If Nurse wants to take the team to the cleaners then deal him for an influx of players and accelerate Jones, Lagesson, Broberg, Samorukov. The Oilers shouldn't be desperate and I don't think Nurse wants to leave. I bet it works out fair for both sides, there seems to exist a fair amount of goodwill based on media reports and common sense.

Can't see Nurse exploring other pastures, unless he and his agent feels he is being screwed badly. He is a good friend of McDavid, and unlike Drake Cagullia, he actually is a very good player.

Sorry, I don't buy into your take. Many teams sign their better players before they reach UFA status. We've seen the UFA pool diminish somewhat over time as team's strive to lock up their best players before they fit the unrestricted free agent market. Sure a Petroangelo will shake out but he had contentious negotiation with the Blues and ultimately neither party would budge.

As a fan, we only have access to the tip of the iceberg when it comes to contract negotiations. We hear speculation and rumours about numbers that seep out (usually by agents who have a vested interest to leak) but we don't have access to the depth of dialogue and discussions involved for complex negotiations. So much is relationship driven and we have little reason to think the Oilers and Nurse's camp have had anything but positive, constructive dialogue about calibrating the price and term to keep a cornerstone guy on a developing team. Based on the limited iceberg tip I can see, I have strong faith Nurse wants to stay and be part of a strong core leadership group as this team looks close-ish to taking the next step and Holland as a fair, straight shooter who will find the market value price point to keep Nurse. The Oilers have bungled so much in their rebuilds but they have consistently signed their quality young cornerstone players often at premium betting on the average value to tip in team favour as the players mature into peak years. Petry was a glaring exception, and likely a strong reminder of letting high quality talent leave.

This year, Nurse is forcing the issue with strong growth in his game and across the board stat lines so the dollar amount will be closer to Trouba's overpayment than Morrissey. I don't see any reason to believe both parties will find a long-term deal that keeps Nurse in Edmonton. No certainty but we have no access to the depth of relationship and dialogue between Nurse and Holland/Oilers.

Some strong points and I hope you are right. I just dont understand a 2 year deal instead of practically any other possibility. 1 year at 5.6 would have been extremely generous.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Some strong points and I hope you are right. I just dont understand a 2 year deal instead of practically any other possibility. 1 year at 5.6 would have been extremely generous.

We'll see for sure. I think the 2 year deal at the price point reflects good will negotiating between the two sides. Just like the Oilers didn't squeeze Bear this year when they could have and instead found a reasonable and fair compromise at dollars and 2 year term. Through the hard miles endured in endless rebuild(s), I think the Oil have always negotiated in good faith in efforts to foster long-term relationships with their young talent. They know the price paid in futility to get them has been high. And they know the challenge as a Northern Canadian market that the cost to replace talent is throwing more money than other markets perceived to be more attractive and generally more year(s) to secure free agent options.

I think this is one principle the Oilers have actually done pretty well throughout epic futility. It's why I err on faith Nurse and Nugent Hopkins more likely than not get done. But there's never any certainty with pro athletes whose careers are short and inclination of many is to pursue the maximum salary of marketplace conditions.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Honestly is there any team out there that will value nurse more highly than the Oilers?

I just don't see some team swooping in with a better offer than what edmonton would be willing to give.

Reactions: McOilers97

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Honestly is there any team out there that will value nurse more highly than the Oilers?

I just don't see some team swooping in with a better offer than what edmonton would be willing to give.

We didn’t have the cap space to give Nurse a long term deal.

I have no doubt he’s a top priority for a long term deal. Nurse really developing into a solid all situations 2 way D man and those guys are hard to find. They take years of drafting and developing, as well they rarely hit the open market.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
1 year would of had the same chance of taking him straight to UFA too.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He could have elected for arbitration I believe

Not sure exactly how that works either but it's not as bad as straight to UFA. Especially if the groups are supposedly both interested in a long term deal as many here hope.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Not sure exactly how that works either but it's not as bad as straight to UFA. Especially if the groups are supposedly both interested in a long term deal as many here hope.
It would result in the same thing as straight to UFA with not being in control on how much he makes for the second year

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
They couldn't afford to go long term at the time, and a one year deal would have them trying to fit his next contract in this summer instead of next. Two years gave the team time to reach a point of relief with cap constraints, and with some looming decisions coming in the next year with regards to RNH and Yamamoto, I don't think more flexibility and a larger view of the bigger picture is a bad thing. There's some good money coming off the books this summer and I think it's better that they don't have to add a Nurse raise right back into them like they would had he signed a one year deal.

I agree with BEL in that I think both camps have negotiated in good faith and will come to an agreement that helps the team moving forward simply because I haven't seen anything come out that directly contradicts that.

You could be right too, maybe he does walk. But if one year is all it took for Nurse to flip the switch and jump ship it's likely he was never going to sign a long term deal last year anyways. If talks go south this summer it will be a lot easier to move him with 1 year @ 5.6 than 5+ years at a larger dollar value given the covid cap, no?

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Look at those mins.!! and look at the +/-.
Darnell Nurse is emerging.

upload_2021-2-21_12-16-44.png

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Loving his game except for him icing the puck a little too much for my liking against Calgary. Could just be him being a bit overworked.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Hopefully Holland can sign Dougie Hamilton to force nurses hand with negotiations.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Drooling at the thought of

Nurse - Hamilton
Bouchard - Bear
Klefbom/Lagesson - Larsson

Would be a top 10 d-core if Nurse keeps up his play IMO.

Also I'm pretty sure Nurse will remain an Oiler if this is his new standard - he's a leader and close with the core group of guys here. Plus he's engaged/married and gonna be a dad soon.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
At this point Nurse could be an 8M x 8 defenseman. But if his play recently becomes his baseline, then the Oilers could be giving him 9+. The nice thing is that the only guy this offseason who could push Nurse's contract up as a comparable is Hamilton. And I don't think he's getting over 8, but I could be wrong.

Edit: His contract year could be interesting. Parayko, Jones, McAvoy, Klingberg, Lindholm, and others are all up for free agency.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
At this point Nurse could be an 8M x 8 defenseman. But if his play recently becomes his baseline, then the Oilers could be giving him 9+.

Could have been an 8M X 8 defenceman pre-covid. Don't see that happening now. Deals at that high an aav have always been based on a steadily increasing cap. It is such

Cap will be flat for three years if we have full capacity in rinks next season and the NHL increases its deal for US tv rights from $200 million a year to $500 million a year. I think it is far more likely that the 2021-21 season starts with some empty rinks (cough all of Canada) than operating at full capacity.

I think Nurse would be smart to bet on himself. Maybe 3 x 6.5M and then really cash in after that. Don't know if any team would commit to 8 x 8M.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->