Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Nurse's biggest problem was the little brainfarts that kept occuring causing chaos or goals. But a big proportion of that was being paired with lessor players and not being able to handle it and trying to do too much. Now, I suspect you could pair him with almost anyone, and he'd keep the pairing well above water.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Chronically undervalued by a minority of Oiler fans. A bit of a product of viewing his every game and observing the development curve and maturation that hits all players competing at the elite NHL level. And the fact that he has a lot of utility in his game which comes with more areas of development. Big, tough and nasty disposition, willingness to play a shutdown role but also enough skill to play some PP time and put up some points. Very rare range of abilities.

Playing d is the hardest position on the ice. Learning to play defence at the NHL level is pretty much never a straight hockey stick development path. We watch a lot of very good play but often jump on the miscues. This year Nurse is minimizing the mistakes and stepping up with the Klefbom loss. He's arriving right on time at age and development to be a cornerstone defender pushing the big rock up hill to legitimate playoff contender status for the Oil. Very difficult to replace lead players like this.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nurse has been great for 3-4 seasons now and has progressed in potential and ability each year. There were just some fans in Edmonton, etc that refused to see it
The biggest thing with Nurse in the past was his asking price (or reported asking price) in his contract. Hes always been good, not #1D money good (last year and years past). This season over the course of 10 games he is living up to the asking price

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Nurse has been great for 3-4 seasons now and has progressed in potential and ability each year. There were just some fans in Edmonton, etc that refused to see it

To be fair, he remained steady the last couple of seasons but was really looking like he had hit his peak (#3) as he was hitting that typical games played mark / age.

He's taken it to the next level (top pairing) so far this season.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
To be fair, he remained steady the last couple of seasons but was really looking like he had hit his peak (#3) as he was hitting that typical games played mark / age.

He's taken it to the next level (top pairing) so far this season.
I'll be honest. I wasn't expecting for Nurse to take a step up this way in this season or the next. I saw him as a #2-3 25 pts - 35 pts defender and that's where I always had him. He's even surprised me. I do think it may be because he's been given the reins for the #1 Dman and he's taken them with excitement

Reactions: Oilhawks

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He's now #1 in the league in 5v5 minutes played going all the way back to the beginning of 2017/18.

Dude is a workhorse.

He's been their top guy at even strength the last few years but people look at Klefbom's minutes and assumed it was Klefbom which is a wrong assumption. They do miss Klefbom though, a healthy Klefbom.

Anyway, I mentioned it in the PGT that Nurse is really shining this season. He played really well last season too before he and Bear struggled to close the season and in the play ins. He had an uneven start to the season but he's been really good since, I'd say, the first Montreal game. Still some mistakes in his game which is always going to be the case with him but he's really holding it down and at the same time, has brought out the best in his D partners Bear when he returned and now Barrie.
There's no Klefbom safety net to lean on if he falters so what he's doing is even more impressive. Hopefully he keeps it up because they need him to be at his best.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
He's been their top guy at even strength the last few years but people look at Klefbom's minutes and assumed it was Klefbom which is a wrong assumption. They do miss Klefbom though, a healthy Klefbom.

Anyway, I mentioned it in the PGT that Nurse is really shining this season. He played really well last season too before he and Bear struggled to close the season and in the play ins. He had an uneven start to the season but he's been really good since, I'd say, the first Montreal game. Still some mistakes in his game which is always going to be the case with him but he's really holding it down and at the same time, has brought out the best in his D partners Bear when he returned and now Barrie.
There's no Klefbom safety net to lean on if he falters so what he's doing is even more impressive. Hopefully he keeps it up because they need him to be at his best.

Yeah, Klefbom is a good d-man that we all would like to have back, but other than his super impressive 2016-17 season, he seems to have hit a ceiling as a #3 d-man that should face secondary competition. It might be due to injuries, but it's still the reality. Nurse has been getting progressively better and I think has been the better player of the two for a couple years now. Not that I want to dump on Klefbom, because he's dealing with some seriously unfair, harsh circumstances, but I disagreed with the notion of many posters on here that Klefbom was the team's best d-man the last few years.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

It’s worth noting that nurse got much more of his minutes with McDavid and co, than klefbom did.

that being said, nurse has been an absolute beast this year

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Yeah, Klefbom is a good d-man that we all would like to have back, but other than his super impressive 2016-17 season, he seems to have hit a ceiling as a #3 d-man that should face secondary competition. It might be due to injuries, but it's still the reality. Nurse has been getting progressively better and I think has been the better player of the two for a couple years now. Not that I want to dump on Klefbom, because he's dealing with some seriously unfair, harsh circumstances, but I disagreed with the notion of many posters on here that Klefbom was the team's best d-man the last few years.

Klef in 2016-17 is better than any version of Nurse we've seen so far IMO. Youre right in terms of their trajectory but like youve mentioned, a lot of that has to do with Klef getting injured. Who is to say he wasnt going to keep improving too? Obviously as of now Nurse is the better player but if Klef can regain his form and Bouchard can use this as a learning year... With a bunch of cap space to work with, Edmonton should FINALLY be in a great position next year.

Oh except we still need to find a fckin goalie.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
It’s worth noting that nurse got much more of his minutes with McDavid and co, than klefbom did.

that being said, nurse has been an absolute beast this year

No one ever wondered why Nurse got more time with them than Klefbom?... Because he maybe meshed with them better 5 on 5

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Nurse made Barrie look better though.

Seems to help anyone they pair with him.

Oh god, I hope they don't try and foist Larsson on him.

Nurse might have made Barrie look better, but can the pair keep the puck out of our own net?

Nurse-Bear were the only pair that were able to to any reasonable degree. Through two games, Nurse and Barrie weren't.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
A select few posters and I were defending Nurse on this board for years. I wonder how many people on this board are now eating crow :D

I was one and have been for years.

Glad he’s coming into form, he’s just starting to play the best hockey of his career. He’s got some big years ahead of him.

He’s a damn good hockey player and hasn’t had much help his entire career back there, he’s earned his stripes the hard way.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Glad Nurse is doing great. Too bad we only get him until the end of next year. Poor Holland is going to be run out of town once Nurse walks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad