Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I've maintained the Oilers won't go anywhere unless they get a top-pairing defenseman

well this year, he's playing like one

the difference I've noticed the most is his passing...way better tape-to-tape passes and let's the puck do the work
he's also imposing his will on the opposition, using his size and strength

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I said it before and I'll say it again, when we drafted Nurse, I said he'd be our Chris Pronger lite. Can hit, play the puck, play great defensively, and be a key part of the team. He's proving he is that guy this year. Hoping he continues and becomes Pronger fulltime

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I've maintained the Oilers won't go anywhere unless they get a top-pairing defenseman

well this year, he's playing like one

the difference I've noticed the most is his passing...way better tape-to-tape passes and let's the puck do the work
he's also imposing his will on the opposition, using his size and strength
I think it goes far beyond just his passing. His puck handling has been much better with far less bobbles of the puck, but I think the most noticeable thing is his defensive and offensive reads. He's making the right read defensively almost all the time, and his offensive decision making has been much better along with a lot of our D this year. I really do wonder if practicing with guys like Barrie and Bouchard is wearing off on our D group because I'm seeing guys like Larsson and even Russell make offensive reads and plays that I haven't seen in the past 5 years and they're doing it pretty regularly.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
We missed our chance to sign him long term for cheap. Too bad

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I'm pretty sure there's already a handshake agreement between Nurse and Holland about his next contract. It would be absurd to walk him to UFA if this wasn't the case.

I think there was a deal of understanding, perhaps a range depending on performance, and the Oilers and him will work it out. It seemed like a contract in good faith from both sides.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I don't think he's been as good as some of you think he has... his next contract scares the shit out of me tbh

You won't be popular, but you're right.

It screams Jacob Trouba contract.

But as I said in the rumours thread - if you don't extend him, you're screwed. If you do...you're screwed.

Klefbom injury put the team in a real bind.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I think it goes far beyond just his passing. His puck handling has been much better with far less bobbles of the puck, but I think the most noticeable thing is his defensive and offensive reads. He's making the right read defensively almost all the time, and his offensive decision making has been much better along with a lot of our D this year. I really do wonder if practicing with guys like Barrie and Bouchard is wearing off on our D group because I'm seeing guys like Larsson and even Russell make offensive reads and plays that I haven't seen in the past 5 years and they're doing it pretty regularly.

Russell by my eye came in with a real effort towards making more plays with the puck. He carries it into the zone a lot more and is looking to make passes. Playing on his strong side helps but I think he's rightly focusing on his puck moving. To be honest he has a past that would suggest he can make some plays especially on his left. He's been criticized by some for some passes but he's also made some great ones like the one to Draisaitl he was robbed on in Calgary.

Larsson has really improved his shot. He's had more dangerous looks than just what he's scored on. I think the time off served his back well and has allowed him to get his shot off quicker. Let's hope he can stay healthy.

Reactions: Oilhawks

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
You won't be popular, but you're right.

It screams Jacob Trouba contract.

But as I said in the rumours thread - if you don't extend him, you're screwed. If you do...you're screwed.

Klefbom injury put the team in a real bind.

Nurse >>>>Trouba

and nurse is going to get better

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Nurse >>>>Trouba

and nurse is going to get better

While I do prefer Nurse's skating to Trouba, the Trouba of WPG pre-trade was not 4 of those signs worse than Nurse. Easier to look in hindsight but Trouba was coming off a 50 point season where WPG relied on him in all situations.

Nurse has played 370 games, I think we know who he is at his best and his worst already. If he was a strong puckmover, those types tend to continue to improve as they age.

Reactions: gordonhught

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad