Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
So there was not a big drop off in production? Hmm almost like the PP runs down low with McD and Drai and the defender up top is just there to pass the puck to those two.
I know you are on your best behaviour but it's a small sample size, too small. Nurse has been on for 4 out the 8 PP goals in 8 GP scored since Klefbom is out despite playing most minutes by far while Klefbom was on for 47 goals in 59 GP. Klefbom has a big sample size of good PP performance.

This is not a fight, the boys are playing together. I don't think Klefbom is/was a guy that anybody could replace on the PP because it was just about McDrai. The PP was set up with some key players, with Klefbom as one of them, and was very succesful. Nurse is a good player so he can play that role, but when Klefbom is back he'll probably take back that place. Bear is a good option, but I am not a great fan of throwing rookies out at the deep end and he is doing great where he is, and we have an awesome PP, so I don't see the rush.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anarchism

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I know you are on your best behaviour but it's a small sample size, too small. Nurse has been on for 4 out the 8 PP goals in 8 GP scored since Klefbom is out despite playing most minutes by far while Klefbom was on for 47 goals in 59 GP. Klefbom has a big sample size of good PP performance.

This is not a fight, the boys are playing together. I don't think Klefbom is/was not a guy that anybody could replace on the PP because it was just about McDrai. The PP was set up with some key players, with Klefbom as one of them, and was very succesful. Nurse is a good player so he can play that role, but when Klefbom is back he'll probably take back that place. Bear is a good option, but I am not a great fan of throwing rookies out at the deep end and he is doing great where he is, and we have an awesome PP, so I don't see the rush.

Combine last year and this year, and the sample size gets much bigger, and more obvious though.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Combine last year and this year, and the sample size gets much bigger, and more obvious though.
That Nurse is ok on the PP?
I said as much.

I just thought the jab against Klefbom was unnecessary since he's been doing a good job on one of the best PPs in the league all season long. I guess I took issue in using the sample size of this season since in particular, as I wrote, out of 8 GF on the PP Nurse was on for 4 GF. So it was an odd point to make at this point.

No doubt he was decent enough on the PP last year.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019

This is not a fight, the boys are playing together. I don't think Klefbom is/was a guy that anybody could replace on the PP because it was just about McDrai. The PP was set up with some key players, with Klefbom as one of them, and was very succesful. Nurse is a good player so he can play that role, but when Klefbom is back he'll probably take back that place. Bear is a good option, but I am not a great fan of throwing rookies out at the deep end and he is doing great where he is, and we have an awesome PP, so I don't see the rush.

For sure Klefbom has his role. He is a good player, I have never stated he was not. I just got frustrated with yet another injury.
Someone on here once suggested Jones on the PP and a ripped them a new one. Now after really watching him I think he could take that role as well and still cut back on Nurse/Klefbom ice time(I think that controlling their ice time becomes very important).

I just think that by the way our PP is designed the offence flows through the two forwards and not through the defender up top....that changes once Bouchard is ready.

I am really of the opinion that neither Klefbom or Nurse are built for the PP if I am to be honest. I think on the current roster Bear would be awful fun out there.

This is not a Klef vs Nurse discussion for me anymore, we need both.

Reactions: LaGu

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Understandable but Nurse never asked to be put in that PP position. It was forced to him by the coaching staff because Klefbom is hurt. How can you blame anyone for this other than poor Klefbom getting injured.

Plus I'm sure when Klefbom is back on the pp, the first thing fans will do is jump on his back and rip him to pieces as well

Their is really not need to rip into either of them IMO. We need both, especially in the playoffs.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Di
For sure Klefbom has his role. He is a good player, I have never stated he was not. I just got frustrated with yet another injury.
Someone on here once suggested Jones on the PP and a ripped them a new one. Now after really watching him I think he could take that role as well and still cut back on Nurse/Klefbom ice time(I think that controlling their ice time becomes very important).

I just think that by the way our PP is designed the offence flows through the two forwards and not through the defender up top....that changes once Bouchard is ready.

I am really of the opinion that neither Klefbom or Nurse are built for the PP if I am to be honest. I think on the current roster Bear would be awful fun out there.

This is not a Klef vs Nurse discussion for me anymore, we need both.
Disagree a bit on using Bear and or Jones. I would like to see Bear at 30-45 secs on PP2. But for the rest I prefer Klefbom, or Nurse. Experience counts and I don't want over-extend rookies.

For the rest, fair enough!

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Di

Disagree a bit on using Bear and or Jones. I would like to see Bear at 30-45 secs on PP2. But for the rest I prefer Klefbom, or Nurse. Experience counts and I don't want over-extend rookies.

For the rest, fair enough!

Ideally I would put Green there instead of either of them if I am to be honest.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Don't mean to be rude but anyone knows what's wrong with Nurse's face?

Is it an infection or something......

I noticed Benning had a similar problem last year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don't mean to be rude but anyone knows what's wrong with Nurse's face?

Is it an infection or something......

I noticed Benning had a similar problem last year.

Looks like he has vitiligo, the skin whitening disease. For him it's really not that drastic because he's already fairly light skinned to begin with.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Looks like he has vitiligo, the skin whitening disease. For him it's really not that drastic because he's already fairly light skinned to begin with.

Oh, I see, I didn't know about Vitiligo. Hopefully, it doesn't spread or affects him mentally.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He was pretty decent last night. Last night... the last game of the regular season for a while

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Gotta give Darnell massive credit for a huge game yesterday. Hopefully he keeps it up and solidifies himself as a core top pairing building block for our defense. He looked much better on our PP than at any point last season and much more like he looked the last time that Klef got hurt long term and he had his career year offensively.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
He really has been playing like a legit top pairing guy for the team thus far. Yeah he still has some warts, but he's been asked to carry a pretty big effin load and he's doing well so far. Hopefully he finishes this whole year strong and carries it well into next season and warrants real consideration for a raise.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He really has been playing like a legit top pairing guy for the team thus far. Yeah he still has some warts, but he's been asked to carry a pretty big effin load and he's doing well so far. Hopefully he finishes this whole year strong and carries it well into next season and warrants real consideration for a raise.
I would resign Nurse and let Nuge go. Defence is a bigger priority and harder to attain. Wingers are easier to find and we can sign in free agency or trade

AsparaGus

Feb 16, 2020
If you squint (like squint really hard), you might think you have Chris Pronger back there. But then 2-3 times a game, Darnell does what Darnell does. Then we’re reminded he’s more like a brain-farty Brett Hedican.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think he’s really picked it up this year. Hes been very impactful in many games. I don’t know if hes top pairing but he’s more important to this team that some including myself at times give him credit for. Hopefully he can continue to cut down on the bad plays moving forward (I think he has cut down on the number of errors last year.)

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think he’s really picked it up this year. Hes been very impactful in many games. I don’t know if hes top pairing but he’s more important to this team that some including myself at times give him credit for. Hopefully he can continue to cut down on the bad plays moving forward (I think he has cut down on the number of errors last year.)
He's improving every season which is great to see

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Nurse is in a zone right now, and playing very well in all facets. But he's done this before for short stretches, and then lapsed back into that error prone machine that we've all seen and gulped hard. Hopefully he can finally string long periods of this together and become a solid mature dman that this team so desperately needs.

Reactions: nabob

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Nurse really has taken his game to another level, I liked Nurse but I always thought he was what he was but his decision making seems improved this year. To the point where he seems to be garnering some Olympic attention per LeBrun's Olympic roster prediction. LeBrun has Nurse in a group of 5-6 dman that just miss the cut and the anonymous coach he has judging his roster said this:

"For me, two guys I would have on the team for sure are Darnell Nurse and Colton Parayko. Size, mobility, range, log the puck, defend: They got everything."

Sucks that our defence would actually be pretty solid if Klefbom was 100%.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Pronger had a lot of benefit playing with MacInnis early in his career. Shame the Oilers couldn’t give him a mentor like that... so no I don’t think Pronger light is in his future... that being said Nurse has been good this year and continues to quietly put up the points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->