Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Not sure what you mean but there is no way Kassian would be offered 3.2M x 4 by Oilers or anyone else right now.

Same with Nurse, no way his camp would be commanding 8M per long term anymore

Wrong on both fronts.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Because foshizzle said so!
Unless u r his agent your opinion is as wrong as mine

Nope, yours is wrong and have no idea how the business works. An agent is always going ask for max, they don’t base it on the last 15 games. You think Nurse’s agent is going to say “hey Ken, I asked for 8M like 3 weeks ago, but I’m going to ask for less today”? Do you know how negotiations work right?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nope, yours is wrong and have no idea how the business works. An agent is always going ask for max, they don’t base it on the last 15 games. You think Nurse’s agent is going to say “hey Ken, I asked for 8M like 3 weeks ago, but I’m going to ask for less today”? Do you know how negotiations work right?
Yes, an Holland would say your 8M ask is trash and I am going to lower my offer to 4M because your client isn't up to par with others.
That is exactly how negotiations work. Do you think AA's agent will ask for 6M per if AA continues to struggle as an Oiler? He may have started at 6M in DET but 15 games can changes things a lot.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yes, an Holland would say your 8M ask is trash and I am going to lower my offer to 4M because your client isn't up to par with others.
That is exactly how negotiations work. Do you think AA's agent will ask for 6M per if AA continues to struggle as an Oiler? He may have started at 6M in DET but 15 games can changes things a lot.

Not in an agents eyes. He will ask for the stars and hope to get the moon. This is how it’s been since the beginning of time. AA’s agent isn’t going to ask for less, he may settle for less, but that wasn’t the debate, it was what he will ask for.

Captain Pilsner

Sep 1, 2005
I'm so happy with how Holland played this scenario: let Nurse prove that he deserves a massive contract. This puts Oilers in a position to make an informed choice in 2 years, with no negative outcomes.

This opposed to locking him up, which may have an upside on saving ~$1M (give or take) annually on a long-term contract, but carries a massive risk of another anchor contract.

If the worst-case scenario is that Nurse is such a beast that the team can't afford to keep him, I'll go out on a limb and say that's a good problem to have!

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm so happy with how Holland played this scenario: let Nurse prove that he deserves a massive contract. This puts Oilers in a position to make an informed choice in 2 years, with no negative outcomes.

This opposed to locking him up, which may have an upside on saving ~$1M (give or take) annually on a long-term contract, but carries a massive risk of another anchor contract.

If the worst-case scenario is that Nurse is such a beast that the team can't afford to keep him, I'll go out on a limb and say that's a good problem to have!

I agree with most of this but I don’t see Nurse as being an anchor contract. I usually reserve that term for Lucic, Backes and Horcoff type deals. Nurse is criminally underrated by most Oiler fans who seem to think that a solid #2/3 Dman is only worth $2-4M max.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Nurse value is that he compliments Bear so well and that he plays 82 games. We should be happy that we have a large group of young pros and prospects that are pushing forward. Nothing spells success like young players on elc pushing the vets. If younger, smarter,faster dman arrive guys like Nurse,even at $7M, bring us a nice Goalie or top six forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: replacement

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Cannot believe how much our PP % has dropped ever since we had to swap out Klefbom due to injury.

jeblers

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
But how bout that time his partner got burnt and he wasn’t super man in 2 places at the same time?

That GDT was tough to read when the score was 3-3.

Nurse messes up, he is a horrible defenceman. Bear messes up and it is the Nurse-Bear pairing that is a disaster. Those 2 goals that Nurse was on the ice for were not his fault but Edmonton always has to have a whipping boy and that is too bad.

I don't think Edmonton will be a bad team paying guys like Nurse to be on the Oilers. When he does get paid it will be because he has been bridged twice now and they will compare his salary to Klefbom, which is not fair due to the circumstance. Nurse is rarely injured, adds depth that we sorely lacked since '06, adds team toughness, is good along the boards & in front of the net.

I think we as fans are getting a little ahead of ourselves when we look at our D prospects, they take time to develop and will need to be eased in to the lineup. How many D-man have the Oilers developed into top 4 d-man in the past 20 years? Petry, Klefbom, Nurse, Bear.... The cupboards look full for a change, something we missed for over a decade, we have the chance of actually having depth. For too long have we been relying on 4-5-6 dman playing in our top 2, so many years wasted being a Oilers fan because our d core has been lackluster.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
With the cap going up 5+ million this year I am having real trouble understanding walking Nurse to UFA status if he wasn't asking for 8 million a year.

6.5 at the most for 8 years is what he should have gotten. Why didn't Holland at least wait until the cap projections to come out?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So there was not a big drop off in production? Hmm almost like the PP runs down low with McD and Drai and the defender up top is just there to pass the puck to those two.
This is an excellent point, though I would suggest if Bouchard was in his prime this PP could likely be better :)

Reactions: frag2

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That is the guy I want on it. Potential to beat this years PP with him out there. I actually think Bear should be on that unit and KLef/Nurse should have their minutes scaled back slightly.
Maybe, I think they are trying not to overwhelm Bear with too much, seeing as he's still a rookie. I think the plan was to use Green there, but that obviously went sideways. It's too bad to, I think Green really would have been of good fit.

Reactions: KYams17

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
So there was not a big drop off in production? Hmm almost like the PP runs down low with McD and Drai and the defender up top is just there to pass the puck to those two.

Understandable but Nurse never asked to be put in that PP position. It was forced to him by the coaching staff because Klefbom is hurt. How can you blame anyone for this other than poor Klefbom getting injured.

Plus I'm sure when Klefbom is back on the pp, the first thing fans will do is jump on his back and rip him to pieces as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->