Player Discussion Danton Heinen VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I stand by my original thought that this pass was intentionally behind him to get the carom off the boards.

not sure, I`m an over the top Heinen fan boy as you likely know by now and while I woudn`t doubt if it was, again, the play that most impressed this fan was at the defensive blue line

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
not sure, I`m an over the top Heinen fan boy as you likely know by now and while I woudn`t doubt if it was, again, the play that most impressed this fan was at the defensive blue line

That strip at the def blue line was a thing of beauty. Plays like that are what I think many people miss. It wasn't flashy, isn't wasn't a bone crushing hit, it was just a textbook tie up and takeaway. Even if they don't score, it still was a play that ended up setting up a scoring chance.

Reactions: Chief Nine and BMC

False Start

May 8, 2018
5 on 5 production
2018-2019: 77 Games played: 7G, 7A, 14 pts
2019-2020: 32 Games played: 1G, 4A, 5 pts

Corsi
2018-2019: 584CF, 510CA
2019-2020: 144CF, 185CA

Zone Starts:
2018-2019: oZS%: 55.1
2019-2020: oZS%: 59.1

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Danton is snakebitten right now. Either that or he just isn't going to be a goal scorer. Not sure which yet, but he is shooting more and has a good shot, just seems to hit iron or the goalie. Shame, he's had half a dozen glorious scoring chances the past few games and should have buried half of them at least. I love Heinen but man, he's got to convert on some of these. He does and we aren't talking about 4 game losing streak right now.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Like most on the B`s, haven`t liked Heinen`s game a ton over this slumparoo, like most on the team, passes not as crisp, focus isn`t there but the heat Heinen gets while Debrusk gets free passes confuses me

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Like most on the B`s, haven`t liked Heinen`s game a ton over this slumparoo, like most on the team, passes not as crisp, focus isn`t there but the heat Heinen gets while Debrusk gets free passes confuses me

Cassidy same M.O. If neither guy is scoring, then I'd rather have Heinen in the lineup as he brings a better all-around game and he doesn't float like JDB seems to do at times. Cassidy has his binkies- bench Heinen, not JDB, bench Grizz, not McAvoy etc. Strange stuff.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Cassidy same M.O. If neither guy is scoring, then I'd rather have Heinen in the lineup as he brings a better all-around game and he doesn't float like JDB seems to do at times. Cassidy has his binkies- bench Heinen, not JDB, bench Grizz, not McAvoy etc. Strange stuff.
yep, love Butch but like I`m sure every fan base, there will always be something to say about personnel decisions with the club we cheer for

I actually had massive issues with Cliffy`s game last night, think Moore would have been the better choice to stay in

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Last 10 games:

Heinen 2 pts - 1 goal
DeBrusk 8 pts - 4 goals

It's not all in the numbers of course.

I agree Heinen gets criticised way more when he's slumping but DeBrusk has been better as of late. Jake is getting way more TOI though, 20+ mins last three games.

Reactions: sarge88

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Last 10 games:

Heinen 2 pts - 1 goal
DeBrusk 8 pts - 4 goals

I agree Heinen gets criticised way more when he's slumping but DeBrusk has been better as of late. Jake is getting way more TOI though, 20+ mins last three games.
Jake`s production should be better than Heinen`s, where my issues arise with Jake are defensively he can be an absolute dumpster fire and while Heinen isn`t a Selke candidate, more often than not he`ll make the right and safe play, doesn`t mean he doesn`t make blunders as he did a game or two ago but Jake plays with nowhere near the focus and attention that he does once he hits center ice and heads into the offensive zone and Butch just keeps calling his number, rarely missing a shift

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Danton is snakebitten right now. Either that or he just isn't going to be a goal scorer. Not sure which yet, but he is shooting more and has a good shot, just seems to hit iron or the goalie. Shame, he's had half a dozen glorious scoring chances the past few games and should have buried half of them at least. I love Heinen but man, he's got to convert on some of these. He does and we aren't talking about 4 game losing streak right now.

I'm sure and their are not a lot of snakes that like New England winters soooooo

Reactions: Beapin and Dr Hook

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Heinen is what he is, part of a cadre of skilled, responsible, good, pro minded players that Sweeney has flooded the organization with. They are not and never will be a long term top three player and so their deficiencies become an organizational issue when you are tuning the roster as opposed to super skilled and productive player like 63 and 88 who have the same and maybe worse issues but have a history of getting the puck in the net.

The problem is all of these guys are not equipped to battle it out against the big aggressive teams that they will run into in the playoffs. They cant fight through traffic and they don't make room for themselves or other players.

I don't blame DH43, I like him as a player. The Bruins and Sweeney have loaded up on these guys and as I see it they need a couple more Coyle type players to compliment the 43s, 74s, and 10s...

Reactions: Hali33

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Last 10 games:

Heinen 2 pts - 1 goal
DeBrusk 8 pts - 4 goals

His advanced stats are ghastly this season so far. Not sure what has happened.

Reactions: Beapin and LSCII

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He typically doesn't hurt you, but he's now providing zero. No upside. He's the hockey equivalent to water. Need an upgrade.

I just find it funny when the Bruins had a better player in Reilly Smith that played the same type of game he had zero fans or people come to his rescue like Heinen does. I'm glad the fan base finds value in these kinds of players at least now.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I just find it funny when the Bruins had a better player in Reilly Smith that played the same type of game he had zero fans or people come to his rescue like Heinen does. I'm glad the fan base finds value in these kinds of players at least now.
I think some of that had to do with the fact he was part of that ugly trade

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I wouldn`t veto a trade for an established piece the B`s absolutely need to fill (obviously a top 6 winger) if the opposing team demanded Heinen and I say that as a massive fanboy of Heinen. Like the entire lineup, not one bit of offensive contributions and we have seen Heinen both miss some golden chances recently which happens when mired in a slump and last night we saw Heinen lay an absolutely beautiful cross crease pass on the stick of Coyle who didn`t even hit the net from inside4-5 feet......ugg

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015

I wasn't part of these boards when that whole mess took place but I did like Smith and was pretty bummed to see him go. Obviously the trade is what put the sour taste in everyone's mouth.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Playoff Danton Heinen is one of the worst players on the Bruins roster, honestly. Seems like everyone else steps up while he coasts around.

Playoff scoring with the Bruins (last 3 seasons):

Bergeron: 17 goals in last 41 playoff games
Pastrnak: 17 in last 42 playoff games
Marchand: 14 goals in last 42 playoff games

DeBrusk: 10 goals in last 36 playoff games
Coyle: 9 goals in last 24 playoff games
Kuraly: 8 goals in last 36 playoff games

Backes: 5 goals in last 33 playoff games
Nordstrom: 3 goals in 23 playoff games
Wagner: 2 goals in 12 playoff games
Heinen: 3 goals in 33 playoff games

I don't care how good his stick is in shooting lanes per 60, his offensive contributions to this team when it matters is abysmal.

Last edited:

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I wouldn`t veto a trade for an established piece the B`s absolutely need to fill (obviously a top 6 winger) if the opposing team demanded Heinen and I say that as a massive fanboy of Heinen. Like the entire lineup, not one bit of offensive contributions and we have seen Heinen both miss some golden chances recently which happens when mired in a slump and last night we saw Heinen lay an absolutely beautiful cross crease pass on the stick of Coyle who didn`t even hit the net from inside4-5 feet......ugg

That pass was about the only contribution he made last night. When the intensity is ramped up like it was last night Heinen tends to disappear.

Reactions: BBruins and Beapin

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That pass was about the only contribution he made last night. When the intensity is ramped up like it was last night Heinen tends to disappear.
the list is/was long of those who disappeared but I won`t argue about Heinen, as I said, big fan but I try to be one who doesn`t approach him with rose colored glasses who thinks he can do no wrong.

Too many players, IMO, are over thinking things, if there is one obvious trend, both 5 v 5 and on the PP , the entire team is making 1 too many passes. There is a reason why the cliche "pucks to the net" is just as valid today as it was whenever it was first uttered. This team is doing nothing that resembles keeping it simple

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Playoff Danton Heinen is one of the worst players on the Bruins roster, honestly. Seems like everyone else steps up while he coasts around.

Playoff scoring with the Bruins (last 3 seasons):

Bergeron: 17 goals in last 41 playoff games
Pastrnak: 17 in last 42 playoff games
Marchand: 14 goals in last 42 playoff games

DeBrusk: 10 goals in last 36 playoff games
Coyle: 9 goals in last 24 playoff games
Kuraly: 8 goals in last 36 playoff games

Backes: 5 goals in last 33 playoff games
Nordstrom: 3 goals in 23 playoff games
Wagner: 2 goals in 12 playoff games
Heinen: 3 goals in 33 playoff games

I don't care how good his stick is in shooting lanes per 60, his offensive contributions to this team when it matters is abysmal.

One of those three was an absolute gift as well, when a Blue, I believe, just left the puck in front of a wide open net..... so it's really 2.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
Playoff Danton Heinen...
At the risk of being a little rude, are you sure you wouldn't be happier as a Leafs fan? They always score at a strong clip, never mind the pesky turnstile at their own net. Offense is what matters, if your opponent scores against you it's just because they have More Offense, thus proving that offense is what matters.

For the record, Danton Heinen has been on ice for 15 ES goals for, 9 against in his playoff career, and of course he rarely gives the opponent a power play. (This season, 16 goals for to 11 against.) Until this bizarre coincidence comes to an end, where the Bruins consistently outscore their opponents with Heinen on the ice, you might consider there is something in it.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
At the risk of being a little rude, are you sure you wouldn't be happier as a Leafs fan? They always score at a strong clip, never mind the pesky turnstile at their own net. Offense is what matters, if your opponent scores against you it's just because they have More Offense, thus proving that offense is what matters.

For the record, Danton Heinen has been on ice for 15 ES goals for, 9 against in his playoff career, and of course he rarely gives the opponent a power play. (This season, 16 goals for to 11 against.) Until this bizarre coincidence comes to an end, where the Bruins consistently outscore their opponents with Heinen on the ice, you might consider there is something in it.

Respectfully, that's all fine but if Danton Heinen - (or any of several other forwards on the team) was able to score 2-3 more goals in the final round of the cup finals last year, things could have been different.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I appreciate that he's good defensively and understand there is a need for that.

The problem is that there are a bunch of guys on this team whose primary attribute isn't scoring goals. For some, Heinen, Lindholm, Nordstrom it's sound defensive play. For others, Wagner, Kuraly, Backes it's physicality. Bjork it's potential right now. Ritchie...who knows?

The fact that 4-5 of these guys need to play every night is hamstringing this team right now.

This team has a fleeting chance to win a cup but they need at least one more legitimate goal scorer.

Last edited:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

No. I wouldn't be happier as a Leafs fan.

I'm not saying he needs to be an offensive juggernaut, I'm saying he flat out isn't contributing to much offense in the post season. 3 goals in 33 games isn't good no matter how you shake it. Is he sound defensively? For sure. There's a lot of them on the Bruins who are, but when you're playing 3rd line and above, 3 in 33 is flat out bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad