Player Discussion Danton Heinen VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Let me get this straight.
  • He's a playmaker who doesn't score points.
  • He's a PP guy who doesn't get points.
  • He's a defensively sound forward who doesn't get PK time.
  • He's a guy who can plant his feet in front of the crease well and make it hard for goalies?????? :huh:
And let's set the facts straight about his actual physical talents:
  • No Speed, At all.
  • No Scoring, At all.
  • No Physical play. At all.
And yet he's still able to be an NHLer who can produce at a 0.4ish PPG clip. The team seems to be able to keep up without him though. Is he better than a 4th liner? definitely. Can he provide a Rich Peverley impact on line 3? He hasn't shown it in 2 seasons.

You covered it.

all I know is I can't take another Heinen argument that completely ignores his dogshit playoff stats.

And how about the time he’s spent experimenting north of L3? Cassidy has mixed it up a number of times sending Heinen to the top 2 scoring lines...I’m assuming not much came of it.

I just don’t see the Bruins surviving as just a top defensive team. That’s not Cassidy. You’d have to really turn L2 around for me to be okay with not trying to make L3 more offensively capable. Even adding a Kreider, it seems wiser to spread it out.

Cassidy is a “offensive creativity” coach...and right now we’re only seeing that from L1, for the most part.

As for the people that say, “why are we discussing Heinen?” Well, because he has a higher ceiling than he’s showing...meaning...trade value.

Danton is never going to have an edge to his game, or anything that goes along with that, but in 3-4 years I could see him becoming an effective two way player. If I was in the middle of the building process, I’d be interested in adding him.

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
The thing with "production" from 3rd line guys is there are only so many points to go around in a season. This is not the 80s. These guys are role players who are not expected to score in baskets. Danton does good work on the PP. He was there last game in front of the net on PP1 for a time. I wish he banged in a few more of those point blankers, absolutely. He has a good shot, so not sure what the problem is, but he chokes more often than not. But whatever. He is a third liner at this point so should not be expected to be a 50+ point guy.
Ok, but the narrative has drastically changed on Heinen. Go look at the season prediction thread, plenty of people were saying 50-60 points for him. Then when the season started, it wasn’t fair that Debrusk got to play where he did and Heinen would easily get 50-60 points if he got to play with Krejci. Then Heinen was given loads of ice time with Krejci/Coyle and a good run on the first power play unit, still not a lot of points. Now, as he is pacing to barely get past 30 points, it’s “leave him alone, he’s only a third liner. Look where he was drafted.” One of the reasons that he gets so much criticism is because the Heinen fans have spent 3 years pumping him up to be something he isn’t while making every excuse in the book as to why he isn’t. “If you don’t see what Heinen brings then you just don’t know hockey.” Comments like that are why he gets more flak than he should. He could very well move on via trade and become that 50-60 point player; I could easily see that, maybe it’s as simple as a change of scenery.

Reactions: sarge88

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Ok, but the narrative has drastically changed on Heinen. Go look at the season prediction thread, plenty of people were saying 50-60 points for him. Then when the season started, it wasn’t fair that Debrusk got to play where he did and Heinen would easily get 50-60 points if he got to play with Krejci. Then Heinen was given loads of ice time with Krejci/Coyle and a good run on the first power play unit, still not a lot of points. Now, as he is pacing to barely get past 30 points, it’s “leave him alone, he’s only a third liner. Look where he was drafted.” One of the reasons that he gets so much criticism is because the Heinen fans have spent 3 years pumping him up to be something he isn’t while making every excuse in the book as to why he isn’t. “If you don’t see what Heinen brings then you just don’t know hockey.” Comments like that are why he gets more flak than he should. He could very well move on via trade and become that 50-60 point player; I could easily see that, maybe it’s as simple as a change of scenery.

Yeah for sure he looked like a player (and I think is) with more potential than he is currently showing. If the guy is on the third line, where he deserves to be at this point, then expectations of massive scoring are pretty out of bounds. I think he could do more, and if he got Jake's time without a revolving cast of linemates and switches between LW and RW, he'd have more points, but it is what it is. Whatever people expected from him (and I expected more) and however much his tires were pumped, now that he is a 3rd line guy and seems to have stabilized there for now, it is pretty much just hating the guy to rip him for not putting up top 6 numbers. Because for all the people that liked him and talked him up, there were just as many, if not more, that complained about him from the beginning. Some now are more than happy to jump in and gloat.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Yeah for sure he looked like a player (and I think is) with more potential than he is currently showing. If the guy is on the third line, where he deserves to be at this point, then expectations of massive scoring are pretty out of bounds. I think he could do more, and if he got Jake's time without a revolving cast of linemates and switches between LW and RW, he'd have more points, but it is what it is. Whatever people expected from him (and I expected more) and however much his tires were pumped, now that he is a 3rd line guy and seems to have stabilized there for now, it is pretty much just hating the guy to rip him for not putting up top 6 numbers. Because for all the people that liked him and talked him up, there were just as many, if not more, that complained about him from the beginning. Some now are more than happy to jump in and gloat.

I’ve been married for 23 year and have two teenagers.

I never get to gloat in real life.

Sports is all I have.

:laugh::laugh:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I’ve been married for 23 year and have two teenagers.

I never get to gloat in real life.

Sports is all I have.

:laugh::laugh:

I feel you, though my teen is now finally grown and out of the house. Doesn't leave a lot of room for gloating. I ate and still eat a lot of crow :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: sarge88
Danton Heinen is the 3rd line's designated driver. Charlie can stay up in the offensive zone and party, cause he'll be the first guy on the backcheck.
danton designated driver.png

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I love Heinen. I hope he can have a very long successful career and I would be ecstatic if it is with the Bruins. Right now though, when Kase goes in, it should probably be Heinen out. Kuhlman looked good an the 3rd with Coyle and Bjork. Kuhlman’s more active puck battling and retrieval seems to be in line with the teams present mindset. Heinen to me seems so close to breaking through if he could just play his best offensive game consistently I believe he would be a lock. He is never going to be a physical player but with added offense his defensive responsibility and cerebral play would be far more appreciated. Eventually I see him as a second line player. I see him reaching 50+ points while playing important minutes. I’m not sure why he is not on the PK but I expect him to get there and to excel.
I have wondered if he will ever get a shot at center?

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I love Heinen. I hope he can have a very long successful career and I would be ecstatic if it is with the Bruins. Right now though, when Kase goes in, it should probably be Heinen out. Kuhlman looked good an the 3rd with Coyle and Bjork. Kuhlman’s more active puck battling and retrieval seems to be in line with the teams present mindset. Heinen to me seems so close to breaking through if he could just play his best offensive game consistently I believe he would be a lock. He is never going to be a physical player but with added offense his defensive responsibility and cerebral play would be far more appreciated. Eventually I see him as a second line player. I see him reaching 50+ points while playing important minutes. I’m not sure why he is not on the PK but I expect him to get there and to excel.
I have wondered if he will ever get a shot at center?
This is the question I have been wondering about for a long time. He played there his whole career till he got to the NHL and succeeded but yet hasn't been given a shot to show it at the NHL level.

Reactions: HustleB

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
be careful what you wish for

Smith is quicker and more aggressive than Heinen.
In fact though he doesn't steam roll people I have watched him take the body with force. I can't recall Heinen doing that once. Best way to put it is D men know Heinen wont finish hard and Smith does enough to keep D men honest. That matters in a PO series.

Heinen is an NHL player for certain but I would take a Hinostroza type over him.

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
This is the question I have been wondering about for a long time. He played there his whole career till he got to the NHL and succeeded but yet hasn't been given a shot to show it at the NHL level.

Don't believe here played center in the AHL. Even his last year at Denver he was playing wing.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Rough stretch for him for sure but he's shown that he can be a better player than he has of late.

Since Backes is gone I guess there needs to be a new target in this place - sorry Danton, looks like you might be the guy.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Let me get this straight.
  • He's a playmaker who doesn't score points.
  • He's a PP guy who doesn't get points.
  • He's a defensively sound forward who doesn't get PK time.
  • He's a guy who can plant his feet in front of the crease well and make it hard for goalies?????? :huh:
And let's set the facts straight about his actual physical talents:
  • No Speed, At all.
  • No Scoring, At all.
  • No Physical play. At all.
And yet he's still able to be an NHLer who can produce at a 0.4ish PPG clip. The team seems to be able to keep up without him though. Is he better than a 4th liner? definitely. Can he provide a Rich Peverley impact on line 3? He hasn't shown it in 2 seasons.

The good thing is there are plenty of teams getting by with dull trap systems where he would be a perfect fit. Find one of those teams!

For such a defensive player he still manages to have some awful turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad