Player Discussion Danton Heinen VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Start

May 8, 2018
While i dont wanna pile on Heinen for his mistakes last night because frankly every player makes mistakes. Everytime he made one of those mistakes it just seemed SO glaring during that point of the game. Like it couldnt have been something stupid like goin offside 2 on 1, the turnovers he made were just straight brutal i can laugh about them now.

You can laugh about them because we won the game.

You're right, brutal mistakes do happen to every player. But I'm going to list a couple of things that irk me when it comes to watching him play.

1. Constantly playing ultra conservative. He doesn't want to make mistakes so he never pushes the envelope, and then games like last night happen where nothing is going well offensively and he turns the puck over defensively. There was a perfect example last night, the Bruins had a 3 on 2, someone fed Heinen in stride, he had space AND speed (which is not usual for him since he doesn't have great speed as it is), and instead of attacking the defense and using his skills, he went for the conservative drop pass at the blue line. Jack was quoted saying "Heinen..... who had a lot of space..... pass gets picked off." This lead to an odd man rush the other way!
  2. Does he want to play like Krejci? Be a wizard with passing and vision with a sneaky shot. Does he want to play like Coyle, and be strong on the puck and protect it to tire out defenses?I don't know what Danton Heinen wants to be, he's playing like a half-assed version of both.
This leads me to dislike him because he has no identity. Even this season, he's not physical, or particularly strong at anything. He's had a 40 game rookie year stretch of being a very good role player. He's had a 20 game stretch on the top line and was playing very well with them. And in between those he's had 150 games and 30 playoff games where he quite frankly hasn't produced enough.

And I WANT to like him. I want him to be a player that makes it tough for the opponent to play against him. The way he's playing right now is quite the opposite of that if he can't get on the damn score sheet.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Danton Heinen had a very bad game last night and that's all on him. He can be better.

That said I want Cassidy to stop jerking this guy around- insert him at one position in the line up and leave.him.the.f***.there. This is where Heinen's versatility works against him IMO. He can't develop any chemistry/consistency with his linemates (nor they with him) if he's being moved up & down and side to side multiple times. Cassidy needs to make up his mind about where to play Heinen and stick with it. I'll bet #43 has been moved around the lineup more than any other Bruin in the past 2 seasons.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Don't bet on it, Cassidy seems to have blinders on when it comes to Heinen. I can't wait to see Butch send him out on the #1 PP unit tomorrow against NJ.

If Cassidy had blinders on before this season you can bet those blinders are stuck on way shut. He is making almost 3m a year
And he'll do everything to attempt to get their money's Worth

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
If Cassidy had blinders on before this season you can bet those blinders are stuck on way shut. He is making almost 3m a year
And he'll do everything to attempt to get their money's Worth

for only 2.5 AAV more you get a player like Tom Wilson who moves for needle for any team and can play in your top 6. At 3 million the Bruins probably had more production in mind when they signed him.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Danton Heinen had a very bad game last night and that's all on him. He can be better.

That said I want Cassidy to stop jerking this guy around- insert him at one position in the line up and leave.him.the.****.there. This is where Heinen's versatility works against him IMO. He can't develop any chemistry/consistency with his linemates (nor they with him) if he's being moved up & down and side to side multiple times. Cassidy needs to make up his mind about where to play Heinen and stick with it. I'll bet #43 has been moved around the lineup more than any other Bruin in the past 2 seasons.

agree on all points, and yes, that means also thought he was awful last night, it happens.

Reactions: Chief Nine and BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Has Heinen met your expectations this season so far?
not IMO and I`m a Heinen fanboy but I`ll say it again, or at least repeat what my friend @BMC stated, put him with whomever and leave him there, enough with the shifting up and down the lineup.

Debrusk chickens out on or literally gives up on an opportunity to block a shot defensively, sits for a shift then goes out and redeems himself given the opportunity.

Heinen with a defensive giveaway, doesn`t touch the ice again the rest of the night.....

Reactions: BMC and Dr Hook

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
for only 2.5 AAV more you get a player like Tom Wilson who moves for needle for any team and can play in your top 6. At 3 million the Bruins probably had more production in mind when they signed him.
Sure and for just another 1.5 on top of that you get a player like Pasta. :laugh:

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016

Maybe the bruins did but I and some here didn't .....

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I like Heinen in that I think he can be an impactful player but he has to work on adding more dimensions to his game, needs something "defining". Also wouldn't hurt if he could figure out how to finish empty net chances.

Reactions: Chief Nine

False Start

May 8, 2018
not IMO and I`m a Heinen fanboy but I`ll say it again, or at least repeat what my friend @BMC stated, put him with whomever and leave him there, enough with the shifting up and down the lineup.

Debrusk chickens out on or literally gives up on an opportunity to block a shot defensively, sits for a shift then goes out and redeems himself given the opportunity.

Heinen with a defensive giveaway, doesn`t touch the ice again the rest of the night.....

• He had that defensive turnover on the PP (with Grz), which lead to a scoring chance. He wasn't benched then.
  • He had that offensive giveaway on an oddman rush which lead to an odd man rush the other way. He wasn't benched then.
  • He had that defensive turnover on the Goal against. And then he was finally benched.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I like Heinen in that I think he can be an impactful player but he has to work on adding more dimensions to his game, needs something "defining". Also wouldn't hurt if he could figure out how to finish empty net chances.
agreed with you, also I am a believer that if he were left on one line, playing alongside the same teammates to help create some chemistry/fluidity, we might see more dimensions.

Right now, he`s playing afraid to make mistakes knowing he`ll ride the pine if he does and look at what happened last night. Now, the player is to fault for his actions as well and last night Danton played poorly but on most nights, while he is far from dynamic, he`s responsible and won`t make those mistakes in his own zone.

He made the wrong decision yesterday when he was entering the O zone with 3 other B`s, can`t recall which other two were with him but he chose to pass to Carlo rather than more naturally skilled offensive players, yep, pass right on Brandon`s stick but still, overthinking right now

Reactions: BMC and Emerz

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Problem is people are expecting too much out of him after his rookie year. I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's time to accept he may just be a 30 to 40 point complimentary player, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that for a 4th round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad