Player Discussion Danton Heinen VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I feel like his offense is always going to be streaky. Not a major issue for me as long as you pay him and play him like a solid third liner who can slide up if needed when his offense is on. He doesn’t bother me, his game is fairly solid otherwise but I’m not as high on him as others and he’s certainly not untouchable IMO.

Reactions: Beapin

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
I think we should keep Heinen as a third liner, without him the lineup is weaker.

I don't want him in top 6 unless injury. Keep Debrusk on pp1.

63 37 10
? 46 88
74 13 43

Heinen with Krejci again tonight.
I would rather see: Pasta with Krejci and Debrusk, Heinen with Bergy & Marchy.

Krejci is pass first, Heinen is past first - Pasta is a sniper. It should be a match made in heaven, not sure why they don't use this combo more.

Bergy and Marchy give Heinen more room to operate in the offensive zone and his defensive responsibility gives them the freedom to take more chances.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Heinen with Krejci again tonight.
I would rather see: Pasta with Krejci and Debrusk, Heinen with Bergy & Marchy.

Krejci is pass first, Heinen is past first - Pasta is a sniper. It should be a match made in heaven, not sure why they don't use this combo more.

Bergy and Marchy give Heinen more room to operate in the offensive zone and his defensive responsibility gives them the freedom to take more chances.
fear not, Butch will give him one shift with DK then immediately shuffle him to a line with Kuraly and play Jake his usual 20-22 mins

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
fear not, Butch will give him one shift with DK then immediately shuffle him to a line with Kuraly and play Jake his usual 20-22 mins

Heinen's most common linemates 5v5 this season are Coyle, Bjork, Krejci, and DeBrusk. He averages 12 5v5 minutes/game.

DeBrusk's most common linemates 5v5 this season are Krejci, Coyle, Ritchie, and Heinen. He averages 13 5v5 minutes/game.

The notion that DeBrusk is treated like a prince and Heinen a red headed step child is kind of silly IMO. DeBrusk will play more with Krejci at ES and pick up some extra 4v4 or 3v3 shifts due to his skating. They've seen nearly equal time on the #1 PP unit this season, with Heinen being featured there more recently.

I would like to see Coyle/DeBrusk together on the 3rd line, but it's not hard to understand why the next best goal scorer is getting saddled to Krejci 5 on 5. Chris Wagner has more ES goals than Danton Heinen since the beginning of last year..... Kuraly has just two less. Both of these guys need to play better (DeBrusk/Heinen).

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Heinen's most common linemates 5v5 this season are Coyle, Bjork, Krejci, and DeBrusk. He averages 12 5v5 minutes/game.

DeBrusk's most common linemates 5v5 this season are Krejci, Coyle, Ritchie, and Heinen. He averages 13 5v5 minutes/game.

The notion that DeBrusk is treated like a prince and Heinen a red headed step child is kind of silly IMO. DeBrusk will play more with Krejci at ES and pick up some extra 4v4 or 3v3 shifts due to his skating. They've seen nearly equal time on the #1 PP unit this season, with Heinen being featured there more recently.

I would like to see Coyle/DeBrusk together on the 3rd line, but it's not hard to understand why the next best goal scorer is getting saddled to Krejci 5 on 5. Chris Wagner has more ES goals than Danton Heinen since the beginning of last year..... Kuraly has just two less. Both of these guys need to play better (DeBrusk/Heinen).

When is the last time you recall JDB getting benched? Or moved down to the 4th line? I get what you are saying in that it isn't complete night and day, but there is no doubt that Heinen gets treated differently by the coach. It is what it is. But you are right both need to play better. JDB needs more consistency and Heinen needs to figure out how to put the puck in the net.

False Start

May 8, 2018
When is the last time you recall JDB getting benched? Or moved down to the 4th line? I get what you are saying in that it isn't complete night and day, but there is no doubt that Heinen gets treated differently by the coach. It is what it is. But you are right both need to play better. JDB needs more consistency and Heinen needs to figure out how to put the puck in the net.

I'd be happy if Heinen can even get on the assist board.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

I don't doubt DeBrusk has more rope, but that also ties into the fact that he has a history of scoring goals.... Heinen has been struggling for quite awhile to get the puck across the goal line.

Since the start of 2018, Debrusk has 53 goals 173 games. Playoffs included.

Heinen has 27 goals in 191 games over that same span.

Easier to ride DeBrusk ups and downs when you know there might actually be a reward. It's going to wear out eventually if he doesn't start scoring and/or playing better. When you have nobody scoring in that middle-6, why would you bench the one guy who has shown he can?

I also have a suspicion that Cassidy is not a fan of Heinen's pace of play and style, preferring more of what you see from DeBrusk and Bjork (also Coyle when on the wing). North/South outside speed and net drive. Again though, if he's putting up points or scoring goals, he'll play more. Simple as that.

Reactions: sarge88

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I also have a suspicion that Cassidy is not a fan of Heinen's pace of play and style, preferring more of what you see from DeBrusk and Bjork (also Coyle when on the wing). North/South outside speed and net drive.

This I think is right, it is the same with Cehlarik. It results in unequal treatment whatever the reason. Kuraly rarely gets benched, for example, even when he is egregiously bad. Heinen needs to be better, I don't deny it. He shouldn't have to be twice as good as DeBrusk (I think he is a better all-around player as it is now) to get treated the same way, goals or not.

Reactions: Blowfish

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I think Debrusk is 100 times better than Heinen.

if you are referring to playing firewagon hockey and a lot of wasted energy, this is probably true.
debrusk is a better skater and scorer. heinen is better defensively, has better IQ and sees the ice
better. i like them both, but debrusk is more of a valuable commodity because goals.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
if you are referring to playing firewagon hockey and a lot of wasted energy, this is probably true.
debrusk is a better skater and scorer. heinen is better defensively, has better IQ and sees the ice
better. i like them both, but debrusk is more of a valuable commodity because goals.

Both of these guys are in their 3rd full NHL seasons. They have each had a full season in Providence. They are not defensemen (who take longer to develop) or even centers, who have much more responsibility at the NHL level. They are wingers who have playoff experience. Yet they are not showing any signs of real improvement. I'm a little concerned.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Both of these guys are in their 3rd full NHL seasons. They have each had a full season in Providence. They are not defensemen (who take longer to develop) or even centers, who have much more responsibility at the NHL level. They are wingers who have playoff experience. Yet they are not showing any signs of real improvement. I'm a little concerned.

This I agree with , DeBrusk to me has never quite returned to the player he was before the Kadri hit so i will give him a little slack still a good player but with room for improvement.

Heinen is over a year older than Debrusk and should be close to reaching his peak, . He just lacks in several ways about the best way I can put it is he does a lot in some ways but really accomplishes very little. He is a third liner that will not hurt your team

Reactions: Blowfish

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta

I agree with this. In Debrusk I see a kid who is frankly pretty lazy. He does have that extra gear though and can turn it up and get more involved when he feels like it.

In Heinen I see a player who plays the game at 80% all the time - similar to a krejci or a young Joe Thornton. He just doesn't have their skill to make up for it. Hes not lazy, he just doesn't have another gear.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Heinen is the next PJ Axelsson, maybe a little more offense. Nothing wrong with that type of player, but he shouldn't be in the top six or on the powerplay.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Heinen has 33 goals in 202 games which is now averaging to 13 goals a season. 3 BIG goals in 33 playoff games . Many of the heinen lovers kept using his first year half season as a benchmark to the player he was.. How's that working out now?? Is now a good time to tell those ...I told you so!
Don't think he has the feistiness solid 3rd liners have . I see him more of a fourth liner and I don't think many teams have that much interest in Heinen

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Heinen is the next PJ Axelsson, maybe a little more offense. Nothing wrong with that type of player, but he shouldn't be in the top six or on the powerplay.

Heinen was brutal last night. Wish they had unloaded him in draft for 2nd rounder and resigned MoJo.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
If he has many more games like that one he will play himself right out of the line up. Heinen was the poorest player on the ice .

Don't bet on it, Cassidy seems to have blinders on when it comes to Heinen. I can't wait to see Butch send him out on the #1 PP unit tomorrow against NJ.

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
Don't bet on it, Cassidy seems to have blinders on when it comes to Heinen. I can't wait to see Butch send him out on the #1 PP unit tomorrow against NJ.
While i dont wanna pile on Heinen for his mistakes last night because frankly every player makes mistakes. Everytime he made one of those mistakes it just seemed SO glaring during that point of the game. Like it couldnt have been something stupid like goin offside 2 on 1, the turnovers he made were just straight brutal i can laugh about them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad