Player Discussion Danton Heinen VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
he most certainly isn`t the player who`ll bring any of us out of our seats with a flashy end to end rush. Just quietly goes about his business. Not that it makes one bit of difference but I get the feeling he`s one of those players who typically is quiet on the bench or in the room, seems like a humble kid
He’s very popular it seems - watch him in practice at Warrior and he’s always talking and hanging with other players

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He’s very popular it seems - watch him in practice at Warrior and he’s always talking and hanging with other players

thanks friend, I can see him being a well liked player but "always talking"? :amazed:

stupid question but are all practices at Warrior open to fans to take in?

I recall seeing something somewhere, think it might have been on Behind the B`s or something like that where they asked a player who the funniest guy in the room was and they said Bjork was quite the character.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I know he had a goal last night, but I still want to see Heinen shoot more. He currently ranks 3rd on the team in shooting% but he's 18th in S/GP. He's currently tracking for 17G/24A. If he can get some more pucks on net he can crack 20G, maybe even 25G and that would be huge. If he and Bjork can be 20+ goals each on the 3rd line, then we'll be a great shape.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I know he had a goal last night, but I still want to see Heinen shoot more. He currently ranks 3rd on the team in shooting% but he's 18th in S/GP. He's currently tracking for 17G/24A. If he can get some more pucks on net he can crack 20G, maybe even 25G and that would be huge. If he and Bjork can be 20+ goals each on the 3rd line, then we'll be a great shape.

Marchand needs to have a chat with him. There are a number of reasons Marchand's scoring improved, but I'd put shooting more at the very top. He'd been taking 2 shots a game until 2015-16, when he started taking 3, and his goal scoring sky-rocketed. Sure, his shooting percentage improved a couple points too, but his willingness to shoot more was key.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Marchand needs to have a chat with him. There are a number of reasons Marchand's scoring improved, but I'd put shooting more at the very top. He'd been taking 2 shots a game until 2015-16, when he started taking 3, and his goal scoring sky-rocketed. Sure, his shooting percentage improved a couple points too, but his willingness to shoot more was key.

Heinen isn't even at 2 SOG a game. Guys like Backes, Nordstrom & Kampfer all take more shots per game. Would love to see him take more of a shooters mentality.

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I thought it was interesting that Cassidy benched Heinen for a stretch in the 2nd period against the Rangers after his brutal turnover gifted them a 2 goal lead and he was putting in a general sub-standard effort (I think the other guy to cop the same treatment for a bit was Clifton but I'm not 100% sure).

It was a bad, lazy play no doubt, but I do find it intriguing how Cassidy uses and manages Danton. On the one hand he trusts him enough to give him a range of roles on multiple lines and to fill holes as required, and he clearly values his defensive skills and ability to break up plays, win pucks and make good passes. But on the other he almost never plays him on PKs despite his defensive nous, and whenever he does something wrong he seems quicker to jump on Heinen and let him know about it than he does most other players, excluding the much-maligned Cehlarik. In short, Butch seems to like a lot of what Heinen brings but still keeps him on a short leash.

I wonder if that has to do with Heinen being a real effort player, a grinder whose effectiveness is largely based on his compete level, and it that drops off then he can quickly become of little use or even a liability, hence the need to constantly keep him focused and giving 100%, while a guy like DeBrusk has a little more license to bring his intensity up and down a bit because his best stuff is more dangerous and the expectations placed upon him around his defensive play and puck management are not as great. Is that fair, or doesn't it matter as long as it works?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I thought it was interesting that Cassidy benched Heinen for a stretch in the 2nd period against the Rangers after his brutal turnover gifted them a 2 goal lead and he was putting in a general sub-standard effort (I think the other guy to cop the same treatment for a bit was Clifton but I'm not 100% sure).

It was a bad, lazy play no doubt, but I do find it intriguing how Cassidy uses and manages Danton. On the one hand he trusts him enough to give him a range of roles on multiple lines and to fill holes as required, and he clearly values his defensive skills and ability to break up plays, win pucks and make good passes. But on the other he almost never plays him on PKs despite his defensive nous, and whenever he does something wrong he seems quicker to jump on Heinen and let him know about it than he does most other players, excluding the much-maligned Cehlarik. In short, Butch seems to like a lot of what Heinen brings but still keeps him on a short leash.

I wonder if that has to do with Heinen being a real effort player, a grinder whose effectiveness is largely based on his compete level, and it that drops off then he can quickly become of little use or even a liability, hence the need to constantly keep him focused and giving 100%, while a guy like DeBrusk has a little more license to bring his intensity up and down a bit because his best stuff is more dangerous and the expectations placed upon him around his defensive play and puck management are not as great. Is that fair, or doesn't it matter as long as it works?
Cassidy should do it to all players. DeBrusk has seen the lower lines recently too. He should get a kick in the ass too. On the lower lines, he hustles more instead of floating and watching the play. He’s more involved I think.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Cassidy is ridiculous with Heinen. Kuraly and DeBrusk screw up more yet never miss a shift.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
It does seem that Cassidy doesn't "like" Heinen that much. Heinen's game doesn't really appeal to Butch, I would say. I think Cassidy appreciates Danton's hockey IQ and versatility, but is turned off by his lack of fire on the ice. I think he wishes Heinen were more like Jake DeBrusk.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Cassidy is ridiculous with Heinen. Kuraly and DeBrusk screw up more yet never miss a shift.

Honestly not looking to start an argument because I respect you too much.

I’m just truly wondering if there is something to the thought that Heinen’s attitude/intensity aren’t to Cassidy’s liking.

I’m not a Heinen fan, but even I admit that he seems to be held to a different standard than some others.

At face value, without being inside Cassidy’s head, the only thing that stands out as a possibility is that Heinen doesn’t seem to play with the same fire/intensity/grit the others do.

Reactions: Silva

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I’m just truly wondering if there is something to the thought that Heinen’s attitude/intensity aren’t to Cassidy’s liking.

I’m not a Heinen fan, but even I admit that he seems to be held to a different standard than some others.

At face value, without being inside Cassidy’s head, the only thing that stands out as a possibility is that Heinen doesn’t seem to play with the same fire/intensity/grit the others do.
I hate what he did

if you don’t trust him or like him tell Sweeney

I was at game and forgot my phone so I wasn’t reading HF (plus I instituted my hit the bar at the 10 minute mark of the second period any time the Bruins trail by at least 2 goals)

I would never do that as a coach - which probably means I’d be a shitty NHL coach - nothing good coming out of that

Belichick does that with guys who fumble but then they are gone

The only thing that comes to mind is Kuraly 3 penalty game and after third one he was stapled to bench

Reactions: sarge88

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I hate what he did

I was at game and forgot my phone so I wasn’t reading HF (plus I instituted my hit the bar at the 10 minute mark of the second period any time the Bruins trail by at least 2 goals)

I would never do that as a coach - which probably means I’d be a ****ty NHL coach - nothing good coming out of that

The only thing that comes to mind is Kuraly 3 penalty game and after third one he was stapled to bench

I was certainly sceptical about it. I think if I was in Cassidy's position I would have given Heinen a quick, stern talking to and rev up and then sent him straight back out there to make amends. BUT I have to concede that on the whole his strategy worked - the team got the memo from the benchings, stepped up their effort, and eventually won the game.

I still don't quite see it as reasonable that Heinen seems to get singled out for this kind of stuff more often, but I guess the proof will be in how he performs against the Habs. If he has a big game then Butch was clearly spot on; if he looks to have lost a little confidence then maybe not. At this point I think Cassidy's earned the right to trust in what he's doing, so I'd bet his actions will have the desired effect, but we'll see.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Thought up a scenario in my head because there is something to the Cassidy/Heinen thing that we are not privy too. Could be that he's just not the coaches favorite player, happens who knows....but

The top 3 left wings are set. They love Bjork. Only injuries knock him out of the lineup. On the right side, after inking that big contract Coyle could really be the guy at RW2 in the future (putting Studnicka as the 3C or even 2RW if you keep CC13 3rd line)…. that leaves the 3RW where you would have to think Kuhlman is easily the coaches choice, based on previous usage...I'm not saying this year or even next, but in the long run Heinen could be the guy left out, and honestly that would be a big mistake IMO...

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It does seem that Cassidy doesn't "like" Heinen that much. Heinen's game doesn't really appeal to Butch, I would say. I think Cassidy appreciates Danton's hockey IQ and versatility, but is turned off by his lack of fire on the ice. I think he wishes Heinen were more like Jake DeBrusk.

I just think he can't stand his lack of shooting. Who knows though...

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
There’s been something going on between heinen and Cassidy for quite some time now. His point production compared to his time on ice is mind boggling when you factor in how good of a defensive forward he is.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I hate what he did

I would never do that as a coach - which probably means I’d be a ****ty NHL coach - nothing good coming out of that

It’s certainly a curious situation. I would assume (what do I know, though) that Sweeney and Cassidy have relatively frequent and open conversations about their personnel. So if Cassidy truly doesn’t like Heinen or anyone, I’m guessing it’s not a surprise to Sweeney.

Either way, Heinen does seem to be held to a different standard than most, so there’s got to be something there.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Thought up a scenario in my head because there is something to the Cassidy/Heinen thing that we are not privy too. Could be that he's just not the coaches favorite player, happens who knows....but

The top 3 left wings are set. They love Bjork. Only injuries knock him out of the lineup. On the right side, after inking that big contract Coyle could really be the guy at RW2 in the future (putting Studnicka as the 3C or even 2RW if you keep CC13 3rd line)…. that leaves the 3RW where you would have to think Kuhlman is easily the coaches choice, based on previous usage...I'm not saying this year or even next, but in the long run Heinen could be the guy left out, and honestly that would be a big mistake IMO...

I’m on record as saying that I don’t think Heinen would be a big loss, but in fairness I also think that about 75% of the NHL is relatively interchangeable (position for position).

That being said, I’m not very high on Kuhlman either. So for me, I guess it comes down to role. If getting rid of Heinen (now or later) means Kuhlman is in the top 6, I’d rather they keep Heinen on line 3 and find someone better than Kuhlman for the top 6.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Cehlarik and Heinen are certainly treated differently. Pace, forecheck, energy, puck possession, and smart passing plays with the puck. That's what the coach is asking of his players. Stick to the game plan and you're in a good position to help the team / meet Cassidy's expectations.

I really don't see any issue with it. For the most part Heinen plays smart but think he's a player that needs a spark to keep him on his game.

The first line has some latitude to do whatever and for good reason.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Cehlarik and Heinen are certainly treated differently. Pace, forecheck, energy, puck possession, and smart passing plays with the puck. That's what the coach is asking of his players. Stick to the game plan and you're in a good position to help the team / meet Cassidy's expectations.

I really don't see any issue with it. For the most part Heinen plays smart but think he's a player that needs a spark to keep him on his game.

The first line has some latitude to do whatever and for good reason.

Agree about line 1, but it see,so that DeBrusk, Kuraly, Wagner, Nordstrom, etc. are all given more leeway than Heinen.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Agree about line 1, but it see,so that DeBrusk, Kuraly, Wagner, Nordstrom, etc. are all given more leeway than Heinen.

Debrusk scored goals at a pace of nearly 3-1 of Heinen last year so goal scorers get more leeway on most teams.. The rest are 4th liners who have a different role. Heinen has his important role in the 3rd line so Cassidy game plans off that

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Debrusk scored goals at a pace of nearly 3-1 of Heinen last year so goal scorers get more leeway on most teams.. The rest are 4th liners who have a different role. Heinen has his important role in the 3rd line so Cassidy game plans off that

Maybe.

But Kuraly has had more bad turnovers than anyone to these eyes and he seems to have a longer leash.

In the end who really knows the inner workings of a team and the coach/player/team dynamic?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
A bad turnover or penalty leading to a goal whether it is committed by a 4th liner or not is irrelevant. It remains a problem, and yet certain players get different treatment over it. Gryz, Heinen, Cehlarik all have gotten Cassidy benchings after a bad play or shift. Kuraly rarely, JDB, rarely if ever. Fine that goal scorers get a pass, Pasta does some dumb shit many times and never gets parked (and so does Brad for that matter), but outside of the top line, and especially with young players, it is hard to understand from the outside perspective why the disparate treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad