Player Discussion Danton Heinen III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I know many don’t feel the same way, but I don’t see enough effort from him on a consistent basis.

I just think of today’s game...I can’t say that I’ve ever seen Heinen play a game as hard as the way Wagner, Kuraly and Acciari played today.

Now, I understamd that they are different types of players and people will counter by saying that Heinen’s game is more about reading the play and positioning, but when those things aren’t resulting in any points, I’d like to think he’d try a little harder and make himself a little more noticeable?

I don’t dislike the kid as much as it comes off...He’s certainly not a favorite of mine, but he’s here...he’s cheap and I really wish this season was as good or better as the last for him because if that was true:

1. They’d probably be in a better position in the standings
2. They’d really only need to get one piece to improve their chances,

Being 100% honest, right now, they way they played today without him doesn’t bode well, IMO.

Not saying the would have lost if he played, but the team wide effort today was better than I’ve seen in a long time.

I think he works his tail off, just think he does it in a much more subtle way than we see those you mentioned doing. I`m sorry, Acciari is awful, I would be far more comfortable with Nords being on the 4th line but in order to do that, the B`s need to make a move for someone

not so sure I`ve ever heard Butch question Heinen`s effort, but the guy is beyond lacking confidence offensively, you don`t just lose that touch he showed last year and IMO, it ain`t because he`s not trying

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think he works his tail off, just think he does it in a much more subtle way than we see those you mentioned doing. I`m sorry, Acciari is awful, I would be far more comfortable with Nords being on the 4th line but in order to do that, the B`s need to make a move for someone

Respectfully, I really only think there’s one way to work hard in hockey and it’s skating hard, which I don’t see nearly enough from him.

I watched him live on Thursday and to me he looked like a guy who was going through the motions....especially off the puck.

It’s too bad because he’s got good enough skill...but he never comes across to me like he wants to do what he needs to do to get the puck.

Reactions: Fenian24

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Respectfully, I really only think there’s one way to work hard in hockey and it’s skating hard, which I don’t see nearly enough from him.

I watched him live on Thursday and to me he looked like a guy who was going through the motions....especially off the puck.

It’s too bad because he’s got good enough skill...but he never comes across to me like he wants to do what he needs to do to get the puck.
we`ll have to agree to disagree.

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
Based on merit, I highly doubt Heinen gets anywhere close to what Spooner received for his next contract...this is a fact. Spooner had a much higher ceiling and potential.

Have you checked all contracts Spooner signed with the Bruins? They never signed him for long term, nor for big money. They never really trusted him. After his ELC was over, they took him to arbitration and he got $925k for 2 years. In the 2017 summer he signed a one year $2,825m with the Bruins and was traded midseason to NY. The Rangers got all excited with the hot star Spooner got there and gave him a 2 years $4m. Of course, that contract got so bad, so quickly that Chiarelli decided it had to be another terrible contract for his collection.

Also keep in mind that Spooner was 26 years old and 5 season verteran when he signed the Rangers contract and 25 years old when he signed his last Bruins contract. Heinen will be 24 years old with 2 seasons under his belt this offseason.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Take off the homer goggles.

B’s hung on for dear life in the 3rd. Holtby was good, but not great. They made him look better than he is...as usual.
Proud to wear the “homer” mantel. But I don’t watch games with rose colored glasses as you imply.

I see it like out is. Holtby had 38 saves, many of the spectacular variety. It took a good effort from everyone to pull out the win.

Now let’s get a streak going!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Proud to wear the “homer” mantel. But I don’t watch games with rose colored glasses as you imply.

I see it like out is. Holtby had 38 saves, many of the spectacular variety. It took a good effort from everyone to pull out the win.

Now let’s get a streak going!

Maybe I was preoccupied with the Super Bowl coming up, but I don’t remember “many of the spectacular variety” against Holtby. I remember the B’s taking a bunch of very predictable shots that Holtby had a relatively easy time stopping, mixed in with some moderately difficult shots.

Don’t get me wrong, Holtby played well, but I thought Rask had the better game, and more difficult saves despite the shot discrepancy.

Agreed on the streak.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Gotta love the B’s elevating Heinen’s trade value by having him watch from the 9th floor (or whatever floor they watch from).

I don’t mind the B’s sitting Heinen if he deserves to, but I want to know when it’s Debrusk’s turn?

DeBrusk: last 10 games, 1g/1a

Heinen: last 10 games, 2g/1a

Note:

In one of those 10 games (TOR), Heinen player 16:54. The other 9 were between 8:52-13:06.

In contrast, DeBrusk played one game with 12:06 and one with 13:00. The other 8 games were between 14:08-19:50 (DeBrusk also averages 2:30 PP time a game).

Reactions: LouisSleigher

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Has not been missed that's for sure.

I guess?

Kind of hard to tell when you have two one goal victories (not counting a layup ENG) where your goalie plays outstanding and the guys he’s ostensibly sitting for, do absolutely nothing to distinguish themselves.

Who is to say that if Heinen was in for DeBrusk or Backes that those lines might have popped a couple in and made the games less close?

False Start

May 8, 2018
I guess?

Kind of hard to tell when you have two one goal victories (not counting a layup ENG) where your goalie plays outstanding and the guys he’s ostensibly sitting for, do absolutely nothing to distinguish themselves.

Who is to say that if Heinen was in for DeBrusk or Backes that those lines might have popped a couple in and made the games less close?

I'm waiting to watch the next game so I can time stamp when I think he sucks.

That implies I have the chance to watch all 60 minutes (not a given) but it also implies Heinen is not scratched. :sarcasm:

DeBrusk imo has not been great lately, but his not great is still better than Heinen's play this season based on my eyes.

Reactions: sarge88

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd replace Acciari, Nordstrom and Backes with Heinen, JFK, and Donato in a heartbeat.

If they can't bring in external help to increase the offense, then they need to try to do it internally. Sure it might mean defensively the team isn't as strong, but as long as the increase in offensive production exceeds the decrease in defensive numbers than the trade-off is worth it. And the fact that the young guys would be gaining experience and theoretically getting better would just be an added bonus.

Reactions: Dr Hook

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm waiting to watch the next game so I can time stamp when I think he sucks.

That implies I have the chance to watch all 60 minutes (not a given) but it also implies Heinen is not scratched. :sarcasm:

DeBrusk imo has not been great lately, but his not great is still better than Heinen's play this season based on my eyes.

Last 10 games, JDB 1 assist, playing 15-16 minutes.

Last 10 games, Heinen, 2g/1a playing 11-12 minutes.

Honestly, I don’t care what either of them did 40 games ago. In the recent past, DeBrusk has given the B’s next to nothing, but keeps getting put out there on DK’s hip, and given good minutes (incl PP).

Why is he immune to being sat? If Heinen put up 74’s stat line the past 10 games, there would be no end to the bitching.

Dat DeBrusk goal celly tho...fire. He’s emotional and stuff.

You keep saying your are going to tell me when Heinen sucks...and I keep waiting. Guess it’s a good thing I wasn’t holding my breath?

Reactions: Dr Hook

False Start

May 8, 2018

Honestly, I don’t care what either of them did 40 games ago. In the recent past, DeBrusk has given the B’s next to nothing, but keeps getting put out there on DK’s hip, and given good minutes (incl PP).

Why is he immune to being sat? If Heinen put up 74’s stat line the past 10 games, there would be no end to the *****ing.

You keep saying your are going to tell me when Heinen sucks...and I keep waiting. Guess it’s a good thing I wasn’t holding my breath?

Since I've said that Danton Heinen has been scratched two games. I thought i made that clear.

I can't tell you how much he sucks, since he's played a grand total of 0 minutes since that statement.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Why is he immune to being sat? If Heinen put up 74’s stat line the past 10 games, there would be no end to the *****ing.

I mean it's easy to only look at the points. Heinen with 10 shots in the last 10 games, as well as 3 games with 0 shots. Debrusk 19 shots in the past 10, one game with 0. I feel 10 games is cherry picking a little bit too, since if we go back say 15 games Debrusk has 4 more goals on that total and Heinen has 1 more assist. If we go back 20 games Debrusk adds another assist and Heinen 1 more goal.

I don't think that JD is playing amazing lately either, but come on GD it's not hard to see that a team starving for goals wants the guy who is more of a shooter and more of a threat to actually score a goal.

There's absolutely an argument to be had against Nordstrom being in there instead of Heinen, but even so they are pretty close offensively this year and Nordstrom has the speed advantage/is a better PKer.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoregreB

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
This team has a bunch of guys who aren't producing right now so a case can be made that any of 4-5 guys could/should be scratched on a given night.

I wouldn't lose sleep if Backes or Acciari particularly were sat down, nor would I care if Heinen didn't play for another 10 games.

Personally, I think that if none of these guys (Nordstrom, Acciari, Backes, Wagner, Heinen) are producing, Heinen is the one I'd sit because I don't see the effort that the other guys show and some of them do things he doesn't -- Wagner/Acciari are more physical, Nordstrom is better defensively and on the PK for instance.

(Don't bother arguing with me over this.....regardless of what anyone says/hopes/wants to be true, I just don't see it - certainly not consistently -- and, at least recently, it would seem that Cassidy probably agrees, for what that's worth).

Hopefully his benching lights a fire in him and when he gets back in, he finds a way to keep himself in the lineup and produces like he did for a bit last year.

If not, he just becomes another flash in the pan who couldn't maintain the consistency needed to be a relied upon regular.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Pretty sure you have been saying he sucked for longer than the last week? No?

I've had mixed opinions on him all year. I made it a point in the other thread that I'll timestamp it for you just the other day.

We're splitting hairs here. I'll hold my end of the bargain when the time comes. I'll include what I think are good plays from him too because I do think, believe it or not, Heinen does make great plays from time to time.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I mean it's easy to only look at the points. Heinen with 10 shots in the last 10 games, as well as 3 games with 0 shots. Debrusk 19 shots in the past 10, one game with 0. I feel 10 games is cherry picking a little bit too, since if we go back say 15 games Debrusk has 4 more goals on that total and Heinen has 1 more assist. If we go back 20 games Debrusk adds another assist and Heinen 1 more goal.

I don't think that JD is playing amazing lately either, but come on GD it's not hard to see that a team starving for goals wants the guy who is more of a shooter and more of a threat to actually score a goal.

There's absolutely an argument to be had against Nordstrom being in there instead of Heinen, but even so they are pretty close offensively this year and Nordstrom has the speed advantage/is a better PKer.

I’m not sure how it’s “cherry picking” when I have been saying for the last few weeks that I haven’t liked DeBrusk’s game (even though I like the player)? I made this point yesterday and in the 10th game, DeBrusk had a goal. If I had said 9 games to exclude it, that would have been cherry picking :laugh:

DeBrusk is more of a shooter than Heinen at all times, so it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest that he has more shots. On any given night, the B’s should have the best players in the lineup. Over the last stretch, Heinen has played better than DeBrusk. Period.

As far as Nordstom goes, how would they know if Heinen is the better PK guy or not, as he rarely gets the opportunity? And offensively, despite Heinen’s sub par performance this year, he has almost double Nordstom’s points and has an 8 point advantage in plus/minus.

When I look at two players who are playing similarly, except one was drafted and developed by the team (and should have more trade value should they decide to go that route), while the other appears to be a short term fix, there is no question about which one I would have in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad