Player Discussion Danton Heinen III

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I'd have no issue at all if Heinen " only " ends up being a 15 goal/40 point high end third line defensive forward. That's still a solid player that is young and cost controlled for the foreseeable future.

same, although the bruins have too many LW. at some point dealer donny is gonna have to cash in his
overabundance of LW and/or LHD to cover the RW which is gross beyond pasta.

Reactions: TwineTickler

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'd have no issue at all if Heinen " only " ends up being a 15 goal/40 point high end third line defensive forward. That's still a solid player that is young and cost controlled for the foreseeable future.

Agree with you completely. I think he can be better, but if that is the ceiling, not bad for a 3rd round pick :)

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
As soon as Chara got the puck Pasta and Bergeron both headed for the offensive zone.
What play are you watching? When Chara gets the puck Pasternak and the Mile high kid are 12 feet inside the zone and Bergeron is just crossing the line on his way out.

After watching it again (and again and again...lol) I stand by my original post...it was 2 poor decisions in 2 seconds after 3 lack luster shifts that got him demoted. I just don’t see the big deal, short leash + blah play=4th line

He had a nice tip-in tonight, hopefully that will help his confidence a little.

Reactions: NoregreB

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I would have no problem with that either.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
So he didn’t have 47 pts in 77 games last year? I’m confused. Also, since when is one year a “trend”?

You could take a lot of NHL players, break their seasons into two halves and there would be a large discrepancy in the production.

I have already said multiple times, I would totally understand moving Heinen for an upgrade. I don’t consider a 30+ year old rental or Martin Frk (from Sarge in the trade thread) an upgrade.

Classic case of selling low.

Unless Detroit is the one selling low on that.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
:laugh:
Unless Detroit is the one selling low on that.

Really? I get that you don’t like Heinen, but now you are either:

1) Just trying to piss me off.

2) Being intentionally dense.

Frk (25): 93 NHL games, 12g/17a, -25
18/19: 23 games, 1g/3a, -8

Heinen (23): 126 NHL games, 21g/37a, +10
18/19: 41 games, 5g/6a, +3

So, in their brief careers, Heinen is better. Last year, when both were more productive, Heinen was better. This year, when both are scuffling, Heinen is better. In addition, Heinen is two years younger than Frk.

But yeah, it would be DET selling low.

Reactions: wintersej and CDJ

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Been saying it for a year! Couldn't agree more. Gotta do it.

A lot of people have been saying it. The question is which LW do you deal?

Heinen on a down year when his trade value is diminished?

Bjork, who struggled a bit on the NHL level, but has been good in the AHL?

Donato, who has a lot of offensive potential, but doesn’t appear to “get it” in the other two zones?

If you forced me to trade them, I would deal (in order) Donato first, Bjork second, Heinen third...for a number of reasons.

The B’s better pick the right one.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Really? I get that you don’t like Heinen, but now you are either:

1) Just trying to piss me off.

2) Being intentionally dense.

Frk (25): 93 NHL games, 12g/17a, -25
18/19: 23 games, 1g/3a, -8

Heinen (23): 126 NHL games, 21g/37a, +10
18/19: 41 games, 5g/6a, +3

So, in their brief careers, Heinen is better. Last year, when both were more productive, Heinen was better. This year, when both are scuffling, Heinen is better. In addition, Heinen is two years younger than Frk.

But yeah, it would be DET selling low.

Suggesting that Detroit may be selling low is no reflection on Heinen.

It’s simply the possibility that they move Frk for less than he’s worth, prior to him turning into a more productive player.

If they did that deal, even I would expect Detroit to add to it.

I’d still consider it (with Detroit adding) because Frk is different type player than Heinen, shoots right and was a 2nd round pick, indicating he has talent.

Where we differ is that if it doesn’t work out, I’m not too concerned because I don’t feel that Heinen’s upside is what you do and I don’t think he’d be missed, given his play if the past 60-70 games,

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

It’s simply the possibility that they move Frk for less than he’s worth, prior to him turning into a more productive player.

I’d still consider it (with Detroit adding) because Frk is different type player than Heinen, shoots right and was a 2nd round pick, indicating he has talent.

Where we differ is that if it doesn’t work out, I’m not too concerned because I don’t feel that Heinen’s upside is what you do and I don’t think he’d be missed, given his play if the past 60-70 games,

Being a 2nd round pick over 6 years ago means absolutely nothing.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Being a 2nd round pick over 6 years ago means absolutely nothing.

Well it means there was something there that made people think he was talented.

I know it’s not the be all and end all....but it’s not like he was a 6th rounder who as never expected to amount to anything.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
A lot of people have been saying it. The question is which LW do you deal?

Heinen on a down year when his trade value is diminished?

Bjork, who struggled a bit on the NHL level, but has been good in the AHL?

Donato, who has a lot of offensive potential, but doesn’t appear to “get it” in the other two zones?

If you forced me to trade them, I would deal (in order) Donato first, Bjork second, Heinen third...for a number of reasons.

The B’s better pick the right one.

How do you mean Heinen on a down year?
With all due respect he's only been in the league 2 years..... And this season constitutes a down year?
Furthermore, it's not just one year it is one year and a half .plus lousy playoffs....

On another note, at this point I don't think the bruins would get any serious value for Heinen, Bjork' and Donato however again at this point I'd say Donato may have the most value

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Suggesting that you would deal Heinen for Frk is absolutely a reflection on him. Heinen struggling is still better than Frk, and as Pia said, basing the deal on Frk being a 2nd round pick six years ago is pretty lame.

The Bruin’s need a difference maker on the right side, not another AHL/NHL tweener. They have Bjork who can play the RW, Backes, Wagner, and Senyshyn that all are or will be capable of Bottom 6 roles. They also have Oskar Steen (now 20) who is a C/RW and having a good season in the SHL (13 pts in 25 games and 6th in the league in PIM’s).

If the B’s want to move Heinen for a legit RW, that’s understandable, but Frk is a downgrade.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Suggesting that you would deal Heinen for Frk is absolutely a reflection on him. Heinen struggling is still better than Frk, and as Pia said, basing the deal on Frk being a 2nd round pick six years ago is pretty lame.

The Bruin’s need a difference maker on the right side, not another AHL/NHL tweener. They have Bjork who can play the RW, Backes, Wagner, and Senyshyn that all are or will be capable of Bottom 6 roles. They also have Oskar Steen (now 20) who is a C/RW and having a good season in the SHL (13 pts in 25 games and 6th in the league in PIM’s).

If the B’s want to move Heinen for a legit RW, that’s understandable, but Frk is a downgrade.

I said Detroit would have to add.

Frk and 3rd?

Frk and a prospect ---maybe a prospect that you like?

In this hypothetical deal that won't come to fruition, just like 99% of the deals suggested here, what exactly would they need to add to make it worth it? A second?

They are two guys who've done crap this year. Moving one for the other may help both, may help one, may help neither.

I think as much as you feel I underestimate Heinen, you over rate him as much or more.

If he was benched or sent down (waivers....I know) I don't think the team would be affected in the least.

He's averaging a point every 4 games or so.....not a goal every 4.... a single point.

And if you expand that to the playoffs and the last month or two of last year...it's even worse.

TBH....without looking at the stats, I can't imagine there are too many players in the NHL who have played regularly since mid 2017-2018, who they shouldn't consider moving Heinen for, given his lack of production during that time.

I'm not saying I'd dump him for just anyone...but it's laughable to suggest that anyone reasonable is not worth thinking about, given what he's been for nearly a calendar year now.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I said Detroit would have to add.

Frk and 3rd?

Frk and a prospect ---maybe a prospect that you like?

In this hypothetical deal that won't come to fruition, just like 99% of the deals suggested here, what exactly would they need to add to make it worth it? A second?

They are two guys who've done crap this year. Moving one for the other may help both, may help one, may help neither.

I think as much as you feel I underestimate Heinen, you over rate him as much or more.

If he was benched or sent down (waivers....I know) I don't think the team would be affected in the least.

He's averaging a point every 4 games or so.....not a goal every 4.... a single point.

And if you expand that to the playoffs and the last month or two of last year...it's even worse.

TBH....without looking at the stats, I can't imagine there are too many players in the NHL who have played regularly since mid 2017-2018, who they shouldn't consider moving Heinen for, given his lack of production during that time.

I'm not saying I'd dump him for just anyone...but it's laughable to suggest that anyone reasonable is not worth thinking about, given what he's been for nearly a calendar year now.

I have already said that I would (unhappily) deal Heinen for an upgrade.

I don’t deal him for Frk and a 3rd (player that may or may not be in the league 5 years from now). That doesn’t help the B’s, just gives them another guy who you would consider putting on the 9th floor on any given night. So, let’s trade for him because he’s a RW and was a 2nd round pick six years ago. You say he’s a “different” type of player than Heinen, which I assume means physical. Frk averages one hit per game, so I don’t believe that’s the case either.

And the idea that it’s ok to deal Heinen in a questionable deal because you think he won’t be missed is ridiculous. You get the most you can for every asset, even if they are expendable on your team because of positional strength.

Reactions: Tampbear

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I have already said that I would (unhappily) deal Heinen for an upgrade.

I don’t deal him for Frk and a 3rd (player that may or may not be in the league 5 years from now). That doesn’t help the B’s, just gives them another guy who you would consider putting on the 9th floor on any given night. So, let’s trade for him because he’s a RW and was a 2nd round pick six years ago. You say he’s a “different” type of player than Heinen, which I assume means physical. Frk averages one hit per game, so I don’t believe that’s the case either.

And the idea that it’s ok to deal Heinen in a questionable deal because you think he won’t be missed is ridiculous. You get the most you can for every asset, even if they are expendable on your team because of positional strength.

Here's the crux of it...

Heinen sucks right now...
Frk sucks right now...

Maybe Frk would do better with a change of scenery.

Maybe Heinen would do better with a change of scenery.

That's it.

Forget where either was drafted.

Forget what position they play.

Forget which way they shoot.

Forget your feelings for Heinen.

Or.....keep getting indignant and worked up over hypothetical trades on a message board.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Here's the crux of it...

Frk sucks right now...

That's it.

Or.....keep getting indignant and worked up over hypothetical trades on a message board.

Except Heinen has been better than Frk when both did better and both did worse. Frk adds absolutely nothing to the Bruins. Frk being an RFA probably finds himself in Europe as soon as next season.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Here's the crux of it...

Frk sucks right now...

That's it.

The only thing that gets me “worked up” is that a poster I consider a pretty intelligent person (based on the majority of their posts) would make a series of posts like this and then try to pawn it off on me overrating Heinen.

As I pointed out a few posts ago, and Pia just pointed out AGAIN:

When Heinen and Frk have played well...Heinen was better.

When they both have played poorly...Heinen was still better.

I don’t care if it was Joe Smith instead of Heinen, there is zero point in dealing for a player like Frk.

Reactions: sarge88

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Riley Smith was traded out of town after a 50 point 1st year and 40 points 2nd year. Last year he led his team in playoff scoring en route to a cup final.

Heinen has been pretty invisible on the stat sheet, but I'd give him 1 more year to rebound, I'd like to see him lead a line taking face-off and having 2 wingers to compliment him.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Riley Smith was traded out of town after a 50 point 1st year and 40 points 2nd year. Last year he led his team in scoring en route to a cup finals.

Heinen has been pretty invisible on the stat sheet, but I'd give him 1 more year to rebound, I'd like to see him lead a line taking face-off and having 2 wingers to compliment him.

the key is the stat sheet is his only negative this year. He's more snake bitten than anything else.

He's playing a good 200 ft game, he's battling on the boards and in the corners, he's hustling, he's doing everything you want to see a young forward do except put up points.

and to your point, have some not learned about the Sophomore Slump yet?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Riley Smith was traded out of town after a 50 point 1st year and 40 points 2nd year. Last year he led his team in scoring en route to a cup finals.

I think he's leading a line now with the kid line and doing a good job with it.

But he's not a center at the pro level. With the revolving door at C this season on the Bruins, and a team with over 10 guys with at least 70 face-offs taken (and Heinen isn't one of them) you'd have to think that if he was going to get a shot in the middle, he would have. He isn't even taking many face-offs when his center gets tossed, with his 7 total face-offs taken implies that if his center gets tossed, its the other winger who takes the draw, not Heinen.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think he's leading a line now with the kid line and doing a good job with it.

But he's not a center at the pro level. With the revolving door at C this season on the Bruins, and a team with over 10 guys with at least 70 face-offs taken (and Heinen isn't one of them) you'd have to think that if he was going to get a shot in the middle, he would have. He isn't even taking many face-offs when his center gets tossed, with his 7 total face-offs taken implies that if his center gets tossed, its the other winger who takes the draw, not Heinen.

All of this is accurate. The Bruins don’t appear to view Heinen as a center. My question has always been why he never got a shot there? Do they have other guys they just like better at C? He was very effective at C at Denver against pretty good D1 competition.

I think that his “pass first” mentality and the fact that’s he’s not an overly physical player would lend itself to the center position, but the B’s FO has probably forgotten more about hockey than I even knew.

Reactions: Tampbear
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad