Player Discussion Danton Heinen III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You're perception of Frk, is similar to mine of Heinen. (And I think they're both marginal NHL'ers right now)

I don't know why this is so hard to fathom...

First.....It wouldn't be a 1 for 1 swap...Detroit would need to add.

Second...... I'm suggesting taking 2 guys who are playing lousy this year and switching their environments, thinking maybe something changes for one or both.

Third......Would either guy be the first player to flourish on a new team?

Not exactly the most outlandish idea of all time.

I’m not adverse to swapping Heinen for a similar RW or C, but IMO Frk is not close to Heinen.

I’m really not sure how you consider Frk, whose best NHL season is very similar to Heinen’s worst NHL season, similar?

They aren’t.

If you want to swap guys like Namestnikov, Martha, Labanc for Heinen, I would be for that, but I would rather keep him and just pick up one of those guys to make the team better.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I’m not adverse to swapping Heinen for a similar RW or C, but IMO Frk is not close to Heinen.

I’m really not sure how you consider Frk, whose best NHL season is very similar to Heinen’s worst NHL season, similar?

They aren’t.

If you want to swap guys like Namestnikov, Martha, Labanc for Heinen, I would be for that, but I would rather keep him and just pick up one of those guys to make the team better.

Again.

Frk +

Maybe the + is the key.
What if it’s 3?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

They aren’t.

I agree.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I’d agree too but I don’t think Heinen gets any of those players.
Heinen wasn't traded in that scenario, we acquire one of those guys in addition. That being said Heinen could easily nab one of those guys, Namestnikov has only 4 more points in 3 fewer games and doesn't come close defensively. I don't know if he could land Mantha on his own. Heinen's production is disappointing this year but he is playing sound hockey and certainly isn't worthless even if his value isn't at a high.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
You wanted to trade a rookie who put up 47 points in his first full season?

1st- why
2nd- where is the proof of this outside of this being in hindsight

To answer your first question I ask you one. If you shouldn’t trade a player coming off a good year because it’s stupid to trade a 47 point rookie, and it’s stupid to trade that player when he regresses the following year because his trade value has gone down, when should he be traded? If he’s playing great the argument is why trade a player that’s playing great, and the reverse, why trade a player when his value isn’t high.

I decided that heinen and his 47 points last year was a surplus at a position of strength. I liked Marchand and debrusk more. I also at the time liked donato more (I’ve soured a bit). Although I readily admitted that the discrepancy between heinen and donato was very small, I decided because I felt similarly to each of them, i would trade the player with a 47 point season because he would bring back more in a return in the form of a player at a position the bruins aren’t as deep in. My post from May

“To be fair though (to myself) most trades in the nhl that happen usually lead to one fan base in utter shock. My general idea is that with heinen being (In my view) the 4th best left wing. Marchand is locked up, debrusk i like more, donato I like more. It makes sense to explore what you could get for heinen. Or if you like heinen then donato or debrusk. Especially if you believe in bjork and even more so if you believe in cehlarik. Sure you could turn heinen into a rw or a center, but is that his best position? Can’t you just make donato a C or bjork a rw?

That’s my main point. The team has holes and it has surplusses. Trade a surplus to fill a hole. I don’t hate heinen. I just chose him because he’s my 4th favorite and probably holds substantially more value than 5-6. And similar value to (my) 3.”

Reactions: sarge88

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
4th best LW, how much LW has he played in Boston? Seems he has played far more RW in his time here than LW.

And that has been one of his value statements the fact he can go out there and play the right side.

As opposed to maybe the favorite son who has played 1 position, always 2nd line LW, since being handed an NHL job, regardless of slumps, poor performance, etc

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He's coming along...like what I'm seeing from him last couple weeks. The play to the point for Krejci goal was a thing of beauty (Cehlarik like :naughty:). He also battled hard in front of the net for the Donato goal. He could be traded but very likely it could come back to haunt bruins / HB board fans.

I see some very good chemistry with JFK. Donato as well however not sold on Donato ready for NHL. Too many warts.

Another good game by Heinen...

Reactions: BMC

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I think he is playing good now
He is a good player glad they have been patient with him

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
seems to be out therea bit more on the PK lately too, not sure if this is to showcase him or because Butch is liking his game?

I have been saying for awhile that he would be perfect on the PK. He’s smart, doesn’t overcommit, blocks shots and is very good at getting in passing lanes.

Instead of having two of the B’s most important offensive players on the PK for almost 2 minutes a game (37 and 63), both of whom are 30 +...why wouldn’t you utilize players like Heinen and JFK who are 11-12 minutes ES a game (or even DeBrusk)??

How much fresher would Marchand and Bergeron be without having to grind on the PK?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I have been saying for awhile that he would be perfect on the PK. He’s smart, doesn’t overcommit, blocks shots and is very good at getting in passing lanes
Not sure I could agree more. His game, to me, is perfectly suited for adding that role.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
He was pretty huge in the 3rd period tonight, and in particular in the last 90 seconds or so when he and DK got trapped on the ice for the 6- and Heinen made play after play disrupting the Toronto attack
Well said. It’s a shame he’s been so snake bit this season but his effort, his board work and his ability to steal picks is outstanding.

I think it would be a mistake to trade him. The other guys we’ve seen on the third line, Donato, Backes, they’re so inconsistent. Both were awful last night against TO. Both could be healthy scratches in the playoffs. Take Heinen off the 3rd line and it won’t matter if you get a solid 3C because he’ll be playing by himself most nights.

Last edited:
Reactions: GloryDaze4877

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I have been saying for awhile that he would be perfect on the PK. He’s smart, doesn’t overcommit, blocks shots and is very good at getting in passing lanes.

Instead of having two of the B’s most important offensive players on the PK for almost 2 minutes a game (37 and 63), both of whom are 30 +...why wouldn’t you utilize players like Heinen and JFK who are 11-12 minutes ES a game (or even DeBrusk)??

How much fresher would Marchand and Bergeron be without having to grind on the PK?

we have gotten our wish friend or.....they are pushing him out there on the PK as a showcase (ugg), he was also out there with under 3 minutes left in the game so all I can deduce is Cassidy has been instructed to showcase him or he simply is appreciating his game lately

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Well said. It’s a shame he’s been so snake bit this season but his effort, his board work and his ability to steal picks is outstanding.

I think it would be a mistake to trade him. The other guys we’ve seen on the third line, Donato, Backes, they’re so inconsistent. Both were awful last night against TO. Take Heinen off and it won’t matter if you get a solid 3C because he’ll be playing by himself most nights.

This is why I would rather the B’s went after guys like Saad, Silfverberg, Toffoli, etc. I don’t think one of those players costs you Heinen. I understand why Schenn is more valuable (his ability to play C), but I think he will cost you something like Grizz, Heinen, and another asset, and I’m not sure it’s worth it (I know others will disagree).

I guess my question is, if Heinen is capable (at least defensively) of being out there in the final minutes of a key division (one goal) game and on the PK as a “showcase”...why the f*** weren’t they using him sooner in that role?

I understand that something needs to give and the B’s can’t keep all these young players and prospects. I also agree and understand that a guy like Schenn is better than Heinen right now. I guess my question is does adding a Schenn and say a Pageau-type make this team a legit SC contender when they have to go through Tampa Bay? If the answer is no, then the B’s should not make the deals, unless they are going to extend the players they acquire, or they come dirt cheap.

Reactions: PlayMakers

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
This is why I would rather the B’s went after guys like Saad, Silfverberg, Toffoli, etc. I don’t think one of those players costs you Heinen. I understand why Schenn is more valuable (his ability to play C), but I think he will cost you something like Grizz, Heinen, and another asset, and I’m not sure it’s worth it (I know others will disagree).

I guess my question is, if Heinen is capable (at least defensively) of being out there in the final minutes of a key division (one goal) game and on the PK as a “showcase”...why the **** weren’t they using him sooner in that role?

I understand that something needs to give and the B’s can’t keep all these young players and prospects. I also agree and understand that a guy like Schenn is better than Heinen right now. I guess my question is does adding a Schenn and say a Pageau-type make this team a legit SC contender when they have to go through Tampa Bay? If the answer is no, then the B’s should not make the deals, unless they are going to extend the players they acquire, or they come dirt cheap.

i agree with you, and heinen will be cheap to extend after a down year on the scoresheet.
personally would rather they trade prospects like JFK and cehlarik and zboril for help now,
unless it's a clear upgrade/winning trade. and as much as i like gryz, that's certainly the
organizational strength right now. gimme saad and namestnikov and let's do this.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I guess my question is, if Heinen is capable (at least defensively) of being out there in the final minutes of a key division (one goal) game and on the PK as a “showcase”...why the **** weren’t they using him sooner in that role?

Everyone in LA is available except Kopitar, Doughty, and Brown. Quick likely to be moved at the draft. Send offers of picks/prospects or players that can fill a gap for a year or two while they develop their prospects.

A team not named the Bruins has made an offer of a first round pick for the most talked about player on this board. Problem is, they have next to nothing else to offer. And I am not convinced the GM making the offer has the power to pull off a trade on his own.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Everyone in LA is available except Kopitar, Doughty, and Brown. Quick likely to be moved at the draft. Send offers of picks/prospects or players that can fill a gap for a year or two while they develop their prospects.

A team not named the Bruins has made an offer of a first round pick for the most talked about player on this board. Problem is, they have next to nothing else to offer. And I am not convinced the GM making the offer has the power to pull off a trade on his own.

Heinen:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad