Player Discussion Danton Heinen III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Seriously? He's avoiding contact and waving his stick rather than moving his feet on those. It's plain as day, I'm actually shocked people are thinking those are good shifts.

His feet literally never stop moving.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
He's not "avoiding contact". If he went for hits on any of those passes the puck still gets moved and then 's stuck behind the play. Just because he isn't recklessly physical doesn't mean he's not effective. They might not be "good" shifts but it's certainly not bad and none of these plays are detrimental.

The very first play on that first shift he avoids contact with the Buff player.

His feet literally never stop moving.

His feet stop moving every single time a Sabre passes the puck, he stops moving his feet and sticks his stick out and misses the puck.

I'm not sure how you can watch those clips and not see it

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
New to the board. Forgive me if this has been answered previously. From what I could find Heinen is signed a 3 yr entry level contract which is a 2-way contract. Why cant he be sent to Providence? He had been sent down last year and the yr before, what changes in year 3?

Boston Bruins Contracts
Even if he could why would he be sent down?

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
The very first play on that first shift he avoids contact with the Buff player.

????? He read the Buffalo player as starting to skate up the ice, so he skated to the spot in anticipation of where he thought the player would be. The player cut back and made the d-t0-d pass.

This is insane!

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
????? He read the Buffalo player as starting to skate up the ice, so he skated to the spot in anticipation of where he thought the player would be. The player cut back and made the d-t0-d pass.

This is insane!

You post a bunch of shifts and wonder why he got benched. I told you why, it's plain as day.

I like Heinen as much as anyone, but ope your eyes. There was a half dozen lazy ass plays in those 3 shifts and that's why he was benched. That wasn't fore checking, it was floating and I bet next game it's corrected.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
You post a bunch of shifts and wonder why he got benched. I told you why, it's plain as day.

I like Heinen as much as anyone, but ope your eyes. There was a half dozen lazy ass plays in those 3 shifts and that's why he was benched. That wasn't fore checking, it was floating and I bet next game it's corrected.

I did open my eyes and responded directly to what you're saying. In fact, if the player in that first play had kept skating forward, Heinen was on a direct path to make contact with him.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He's not applying anything on the first shift, he's floating around and giving them easy outs. He won zero puck battles in all 3 of those shifts. Superb pass to Carlo though, should earn him a star.

Going to respectfully disagree with you. I’m not sure what forechecking system Cassidy prefers, or if it changes from shift to shift depending on matchups and game situations?

On the first shift, the B’s are clearly playing a 1-2-2. In that setup the player is just supposed to pressure the puck loosely, get in lanes and force a bad pass into the NZ where the B’s have two players to steal the puck. Even though Heinen is supposedly “floating”, he deflects a pass in the NZ and nearly picks off another in the BUF end. On the offensive side, he’s in perfect position on the breakout. Comes from the left wing to the center lane to make the pass shorter and himself more available for the Bergeron pass, which Skinner blocks.

Second shift, B’s are more aggressive on the puck. Heinen does a good job of pursuing on the right boards and is cleaarly interfered with by Sobotka. He still applies enough pressure to force the bad pass, which Cave sends to Chara (and he promptly mishandled it). The puck goes into the BUF end and Heinen is all over Larsson. The mistake he makes there is overskating the play and allowing the puck to get out (it was not a lack of effort, but execution). Comes back into the D zone and is responsible with his coverage. Chara puts him in a little of a bad position on the left half wall with two forecheckers on the way, but he makes the smart pass to Carlo.

Third shift, would have liked to have seen more compete on the initial forecheck, but Risto does a good job of shielding the puck. The puck comes back to RR and Heinen pressures, nearly picks off the pass, which Reinhart is unable to handle. Chara has the puck inside the red line and it’s clear to me that Pasta and Bergeron expected him dump it in hard and wrap it around, so they both take off into the zone. Instead, Chara dangles and then makes a short pass to Heinen who is standing just outside the blue line. He immediately steps inside the line, but Pasta is already well into the offensive zone. That offsides was totally on Chara not doing what 88 and 37 thought he would.

There are a couple of things that Heinen could have done better, but I see nothing that would warrant benching or demoting him. And anybody who says it’s “obvious” what he did to get benched is seeing things that aren’t there.

ps If I had to bench one guy based on those three short clips, it would have been Chara, who made 4/5 bad plays.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I think he should center the 4th line with Kuraly on his wing. Take the pressure off him and gives him a lot of opportunities to make plays

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think he should center the 4th line with Kuraly on his wing. Take the pressure off him and gives him a lot of opportunities to make plays

This isn't a bad idea at all- put him in the Noel spot. Wagner-Kuraly-Heinen however you line them up can create chances, and I have to believe Danton will start scoring again. It's a ridiculous slump, like a golfer with putting yips. On an "energy" line that creates greasy scoring opportunities, Heinen will surely bury a few.

sportsvg

Dec 24, 2014
Ontario
Going to respectfully disagree with you. I’m not sure what forechecking system Cassidy prefers, or if it changes from shift to shift depending on matchups and game situations?

On the first shift, the B’s are clearly playing a 1-2-2. In that setup the player is just supposed to pressure the puck loosely, get in lanes and force a bad pass into the NZ where the B’s have two players to steal the puck. Even though Heinen is supposedly “floating”, he deflects a pass in the NZ and nearly picks off another in the BUF end. On the offensive side, he’s in perfect position on the breakout. Comes from the left wing to the center lane to make the pass shorter and himself more available for the Bergeron pass, which Skinner blocks.

Second shift, B’s are more aggressive on the puck. Heinen does a good job of pursuing on the right boards and is cleaarly interfered with by Sobotka. He still applies enough pressure to force the bad pass, which Cave sends to Chara (and he promptly mishandled it). The puck goes into the BUF end and Heinen is all over Larsson. The mistake he makes there is overskating the play and allowing the puck to get out (it was not a lack of effort, but execution). Comes back into the D zone and is responsible with his coverage. Chara puts him in a little of a bad position on the left half wall with two forecheckers on the way, but he makes the smart pass to Carlo.

Third shift, would have liked to have seen more compete on the initial forecheck, but Risto does a good job of shielding the puck. The puck comes back to RR and Heinen pressures, nearly picks off the pass, which Reinhart is unable to handle. Chara has the puck inside the red line and it’s clear to me that Pasta and Bergeron expected him dump it in hard and wrap it around, so they both take off into the zone. Instead, Chara dangles and then makes a short pass to Heinen who is standing just outside the blue line. He immediately steps inside the line, but Pasta is already well into the offensive zone. That offsides was totally on Chara not doing what 88 and 37 thought he would.

There are a couple of things that Heinen could have done better, but I see nothing that would warrant benching or demoting him. And anybody who says it’s “obvious” what he did to get benched is seeing things that aren’t there.

ps If I had to bench one guy based on those three short clips, it would have been Chara, who made 4/5 bad plays.

13:36 of that last shift is the moment Cassidy blows a casket and staples him to the bench. He doesn't even need to win that puck battle he just needs to separate him from the puck and Bergy is waiting there for it and if you give Bergy the puck with space and time in that position he is going to turn it into something good. That is a play that Bergy and Marchand or Bergy and Pasta turn into a scoring chance regularly. I give any of our other top 6 forwards a better than 50% chance of turning that into something but the way he slows up and avoids contact and takes a lazy angle he makes it pretty easy on Risto. I also give most of our bottom six a good chance of separating the puck, but they likely don't turn it into a scoring chance since they don't have the skill. Like I said before if you want to play with big boys you gotta make big boy plays.

I also think that the past couple games he seems more aggressive and likely would have made a better play in the same situation.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
13:36 of that last shift is the moment Cassidy blows a casket and staples him to the bench. He doesn't even need to win that puck battle he just needs to separate him from the puck and Bergy is waiting there for it and if you give Bergy the puck with space and time in that position he is going to turn it into something good. That is a play that Bergy and Marchand or Bergy and Pasta turn into a scoring chance regularly. I give any of our other top 6 forwards a better than 50% chance of turning that into something but the way he slows up and avoids contact and takes a lazy angle he makes it pretty easy on Risto. I also give most of our bottom six a good chance of separating the puck, but they likely don't turn it into a scoring chance since they don't have the skill. Like I said before if you want to play with big boys you gotta make big boy plays.

I also think that the past couple games he seems more aggressive and likely would have made a better play in the same situation.

Heinen: 6’1”, 185 (maybe)

Risto: 6’4”, 215

Risto gets to that puck first and has good body position. Heinen is not getting to that puck without committing a penalty. Bergeron slides in behind Heinen, hoping that Risto tries to chip it up the boards past 43. Instead 55 makes the smart play and sends it down behind the net away from the B’s two forecheckers.

Not sure why Cassidy would “blow a gasket” over that, but not get upset with Chara making 4 or 5 dumb plays in those clips? Or why he rolls Acciari out there shift after shift even though he makes bad plays on a consistent basis?

Could he have been a little more aggressive? Probably, but I still don’t think he gets the puck. Even if you think that was an issue, does the punishment really fit the crime here?

Reactions: Grimey

sportsvg

Dec 24, 2014
Ontario
Heinen: 6’1”, 185 (maybe)

Risto: 6’4”, 215

Risto gets to that puck first and has good body position. Heinen is not getting to that puck without committing a penalty. Bergeron slides in behind Heinen, hoping that Risto tries to chip it up the boards past 43. Instead 55 makes the smart play and sends it down behind the net away from the B’s two forecheckers.

Not sure why Cassidy would “blow a gasket” over that, but not get upset with Chara making 4 or 5 dumb plays in those clips? Or why he rolls Acciari out there shift after shift even though he makes bad plays on a consistent basis?

Could he have been a little more aggressive? Probably, but I still don’t think he gets the puck. Even if you think that was an issue, does the punishment really fit the crime here?

Not saying it does or it doesn't fit the crime but I am very confident that is the play that got him the benching and not sure why he blew a gasket but he did because I saw it.

Marchand is 5'9" 181lbs and I bet he busts his butt to get underneath Risto and either get him off the puck or win the battle. This is a situational play where the best play is to be aggressive, you have a 2 on 1 in the corner, you've given up defensive position and if you make the play a scoring chance will likely come out of it, I have no problem with a lot of the other plays in the other shifts since there is no upside to being aggressive but here he has to pick his spot and get his nose dirty, again he doesn't need to take the puck from Risto if he gets there first or at the same time and takes the hit Bergy can take the puck. If he comes in aggressive he tuns the play back to Risto to either take the body and leave Bergy with the puck or back off and he gets the puck. Not saying it works out every time but it was a high percentage play where he didn't give effort and Cassidy sat him as a result, maybe this was something they had been working on and he didn't seem to be getting it so he thought he needed to send a message, there could have been lots of buildup to this and I think it has worked since he seems to be playing better (possibly he just fits better with other lines as well).

On the Chara/Accari comparisons, there is a reason Accari isn't in the top 6 no matter how hard he works so the standard/expectations are different, but I bet you his line would have hit Risto made his job harder and put on a forecheck in that situation. For Chara you can't be serious that you expect the coaching staff to have the same leash on him as they have with the kids.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don’t expect Chara to have the same leash as the rooks. I also expect him to make less mistakes. We don’t always get what we want.

Marchand may very well have made a play on that puck. He’s faster than Heinen, nastier, and one of the Top 10 F’s in the league. So, probably not the best comparison.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Ha I see JFK messing with me. But perhaps my error is subliminal.

Interesting that they have Kuraly listed as the left wing on the line when he's normally the center. I know they flip flop at the dot from time to time, but when I watch the games, Kuraly has the centerman duties on the ice while Acciari and Wagner are on the wings.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
That lineup doesn’t scream we need offensive depth, it screams we need another difference maker in the Top 6.

I guess I consider a 2nd line "difference maker" to be depth.

I truly like that Cassidy isn't afraid to try different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad