Player Discussion Danton Heinen III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Has anyone been moved up and down the lineup more than him this year? I feel every game or in game it’s a new line with new line mates. I feel that was part of Carlo’s problem last year is that he had so many different D partners he couldn’t find consistency with someone. Even with injuries happening. I would love to see Heinen on a line with the same two guys and give them time and he will produce.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He's a very effective player on the 3rd line. The coach does rely on him for key situations. Similar to Backes. Don't think anyone is denying his hockey smarts only his production.

Reactions: BMC

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Has anyone been moved up and down the lineup more than him this year? I feel every game or in game it’s a new line with new line mates. I feel that was part of Carlo’s problem last year is that he had so many different D partners he couldn’t find consistency with someone. Even with injuries happening. I would love to see Heinen on a line with the same two guys and give them time and he will produce.

I realize that a kid that can play three zones and that you can move up and down the lineup can be valuable to a coach. However, when that player is clearly scrambling, is that the best idea?

I had a long post dedicated to this, but it belongs in another thread. I will simply ask why when a player like Heinen is trying to find his game, he gets limited minutes and an extremely short leash...while a player like Acciari, who has struggled for much of the year, finds his way back into the lineup to the tune of 17:29 TOI, with almost 15 minutes at even strength?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Heinen actually has a pretty good shot and release. Usually, he doesn’t use it enough.

One of the few complaints I have about his game. I know right now with his confidence lacking he is passing more than shooting but that was a bit of an issue last season too.

I thought last night was one of his better games this season, let's hope he can build on it.

Reactions: BiGBear8

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
One of the few complaints I have about his game. I know right now with his confidence lacking he is passing more than shooting but that was a bit of an issue last season too.

I thought last night was one of his better games this season, let's hope he can build on it.
also needs to get better on his skates bumped off puck easily and like you said confidence less thinking and shoot the you know what puck

Reactions: BMC

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I realize that a kid that can play three zones and that you can move up and down the lineup can be valuable to a coach. However, when that player is clearly scrambling, is that the best idea?

I had a long post dedicated to this, but it belongs in another thread. I will simply ask why when a player like Heinen is trying to find his game, he gets limited minutes and an extremely short leash...while a player like Acciari, who has struggled for much of the year, finds his way back into the lineup to the tune of 17:29 TOI, with almost 15 minutes at even strength?

I know you're going to disagree entirely....but it this case (Acciari/Heinen) it may come down to physicality.

Especially when protecting a lead, where getting the puck in and out takes on more importance.

I know some will disagree, but I don't really find Heinen to be very good along the boards.

I think he gets out muscled quite a bit, where Acciari is less likely to be overpowered.

Put aside that it's me saying this...and ask what else it could be?

Clearly Heinen is a better skater, more talented/skilled with the puck.......what else is left?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I know you're going to disagree entirely....but it this case (Acciari/Heinen) it may come down to physicality.

Especially when protecting a lead, where getting the puck in and out takes on more importance.

I know some will disagree, but I don't really find Heinen to be very good along the boards.

I think he gets out muscled quite a bit, where Acciari is less likely to be overpowered.

Put aside that it's me saying this...and ask what else it could be?

Clearly Heinen is a better skater, more talented/skilled with the puck.......what else is left?

I`d put Heinen in 11 times out of 10 to protect a lead before Acciari. I don`t see Noel being a stronger player along the wall either, clearly Acciari plays a more physical game but being physical isn`t necessarily the key late in a game, it`s playing smart and being able to be where he needs to be to make a play, I trust Heinen far more than Acciari.....Butch feels strongly opposed to my view clearly

The play he made on JD`s 2nd goal is one where few will recognize what he did other than coaches and teammates on the bench as it won`t show up on the scoresheet

Reactions: BMC and BiGBear8

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I`d put Heinen in 11 times out of 10 to protect a lead before Acciari. I don`t see Noel being a stronger player along the wall either, clearly Acciari plays a more physical game but being physical isn`t necessarily the key late in a game, it`s playing smart and being able to be where he needs to be to make a play, I trust Heinen far more than Acciari.....Butch feels strongly opposed to my view clearly

The play he made on JD`s 2nd goal is one where few will recognize what he did other than coaches and teammates on the bench as it won`t show up on the scoresheet
I said to Kovi right after JDB's goal, that it all started with Heinen's play at our blue line. Yeah, he started the play, but didn't end up on the scoresheet.

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I said to Kovi right after JDB's goal, that it all started with Heinen's play at our blue line. Yeah, he started the play, but didn't end up on the scoresheet.

Unfortunately, that can bite any player in the ass. If Heinen can just keep busting out and working hard the results will start to turn up.

I hope.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

It was a good play, but in all fairness....what else was he going to do other than what he did, which was to stand there and take the shot in the pads?

I'm not big on either guy TBH, and I do recognize that Heinen is more skilled and a better skater (although not by a huge amount), and if I had it my way neither guy would be out there protecting a one goal lead with 2 1/2 minutes left in the game.

Gun to my head, if a draw was starting in the offensive zone, I'd probably have Heinen out there but I'm not sold on his willingness to sell out in the defensive zone, so if the faceoff were there, I'd probably have Acciari out there in this hypothetical situation.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Yep, and I tend to watch games often through the eyes of the All Star coach I once was:sarcasm:, I look for subtle plays a player makes (not just Heinen who I`m clearly a fan of) , especially the younger players in the lineup. Heinen will never threaten to win the RR Trophy but he`s much better offensively than we`ve seen this year.

Because this is the Heinen thread, I`ll speak to what I see him doing on the ice. Offensive zone, he is consistently standing in front of the net, trying to create a wack of headaches for the goalie/opponent, willing to take any punishment that may come his way. His passing is still well above average, he handles the puck well. Like to see a bit more meat on his shot but that`s for another day.

Defensively or defensive awareness, well above average. He`s a guy who takes very intelligent angles when on the attack and often positions himself well along the walls. Doesn`t mean he`ll win every board battle but he is not a player who hesitates to engage and rarely when you watch him does the opponent have an easy decision about where their pass is going because his forecheck is very good.

IMO, the biggest "problem" I think the B`s have with Heinen is consistency with the lineup. For as much as I appreciate most of what Butch does, he`s far less patient than I would be, doesn`t allow combinations time to create chemistry and continuity and this is what I think has hurt Heinen the most.

I know the B`s have been killed with injuries much of the year but hard to have any fluidity to one`s game when there`s different players standing next to you on virtually every faceoff. Put him with someone, allow time for them to build chemistry and that time can`t just be 2 shifts

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It was a good play, but in all fairness....what else was he going to do other than what he did, which was to stand there and take the shot in the pads?

I'm not big on either guy TBH, and I do recognize that Heinen is more skilled and a better skater (although not by a huge amount), and if I had it my way neither guy would be out there protecting a one goal lead with 2 1/2 minutes left in the game.

Gun to my head, if a draw was starting in the offensive zone, I'd probably have Heinen out there but I'm not sold on his willingness to sell out in the defensive zone, so if the faceoff were there, I'd probably have Acciari out there in this hypothetical situation.

what else could he do? You`ve never seen players bail out rather than be willing to potentially take a shot to the body? Sorry, we`ll agree to disagree.

Let me ask you this, do you think Donato would have done the same? I like the kid (Donato), not sold he`d be nearly as willing to sacrifice himself that way. It`s not just the blocked shot, it`s the fact he was in the right place to properly open himself up to making a play defensively and THAT is often overlooked

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Something has to change for Heinen. Going from a potential top 6 answer to an 8 minute/game role player has to be messing with his head big time. Doing more of the same the rest of this season probably won't change much.

I know it sounds old school but I would have him show more emotion out there. I know he's not a fighter but some type of passion/intensity might help... Look how fans love other players with an identity like Debrusk when he crashes the net, or when Pasta smiles, Wager hits, or Kuraly scores..

I like Heinen, but at this point his identity is a passionless cerebral utility player who's struggling to put up points.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Something has to change for Heinen. Going from a potential top 6 answer to an 8 minute/game role player has to be messing with his head big time. Doing more of the same the rest of this season probably won't change much.

I know it sounds old school but I would have him show more emotion out there. I know he's not a fighter but some type of passion/intensity might help... Look how fans love other players with an identity like Debrusk when he crashes the net, or when Pasta smiles, Wager hits, or Kuraly scores..

I like Heinen, but at this point his identity is a passionless cerebral utility player who's struggling to put up points.

couldn`t care less about his lack of on ice expression of passion, you can`t convince me he isn`t playing with passion, you can`t force someone to display what JD does. I`ll stand by my opinion that what this guy needs the most is a continuity of linemates

It`s not entirely different than I would suggest most of us experience in whatever our jobs are in our private lives.

I have found, the best places I have worked have often been one`s where there isn`t a rotating door of employees coming and going, rather there`s lots of staff who stay, you build a familiarity with them, know their strengths and weaknesses and work with that approach

Heinen is being tossed up and down the lineup with not a clue who he is next going to be on the wing with

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
what else could he do? You`ve never seen players bail out rather than be willing to potentially take a shot to the body? Sorry, we`ll agree to disagree.

Let me ask you this, do you think Donato would have done the same? I like the kid (Donato), not sold he`d be nearly as willing to sacrifice himself that way. It`s not just the blocked shot, it`s the fact he was in the right place to properly open himself up to making a play defensively and THAT is often overlooked

I'll have to watch again, but IIRC, he was covering the point, facing the defenseman and it was shot into his pads.

I know people bail out on shot blocking, but in this case, I don't think he could have bailed, given the circumstances.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'll have to watch again, but IIRC, he was covering the point, facing the defenseman and it was shot into his pads.

I know people bail out on shot blocking, but in this case, I don't think he could have bailed, given the circumstances.

that`s fair, I just think the guy is watching far too much of the game while others who bring nothing (Acciari for example) are getting almost twice that.

I dunno, I`m just tired of watching Butch switch up the lines so quickly and not just for Heinen, no continuity whatsoever and IMO, it`s hurting the development and potentially the confidence of many

Claude slammed for sticking to his vets, Butch gets virtually a free pass, I would understand if the kids on the ice were the reason for multitudes of mistakes leading to goals and points lost but they aren`t for the most part. No point having them with the big club if all they are is spectators for 50+ minutes a night

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
that`s fair, I just think the guy is watching far too much of the game while others who bring nothing (Acciari for example) are getting almost twice that.

I dunno, I`m just tired of watching Butch switch up the lines so quickly and not just for Heinen, no continuity whatsoever and IMO, it`s hurting the development and potentially the confidence of many

Claude slammed for sticking to his vets, Butch gets virtually a free pass, I would understand if the kids on the ice were the reason for multitudes of mistakes leading to goals and points lost but they aren`t for the most part. No point having them with the big club if all they are is spectators for 50+ minutes a night

I get the frustration. I just think it's really hard with this team.

You've got skill guys who are under performing, but show flashes because they have talent ....Donato, Bjork, Heinen, JFK.

Then you've got grinders who work hard, bring physicality but aren't very skilled....Acciari, Wagner, Kuraly.

One day Kuraly's hustle and effort results in a game winning goal, but another day it may all be for naught and he can look overmatched by more talented teams.

Another day, Donato's shot or Heinen's passing ability may make a difference, but the next they look terrible because of a different match up.

I find the shuffling frustrating as well...but I also feel for Cassidy a bit because of what he's been given.

If Sweeney would just bite the bullet and make a deal for a #2RW, I think things could really fall into place and some lineup consistency could happen.

Reactions: Fopppa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad