Waived: Dano on waivers (Mod: Claimed by the Avs)

Will Dano clear waivers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
WTF? I don't get the logic of waiving a guy when you have 2 guys in Lemieux and KV who can go down without requiring waivers. This year was supposed to be Dano's chance.

Now it seems like the best asset we are going to get out of the Ladd trade is just the capspace.

Can you even claim to have gained cap space when an aging player goes to UFA? Just asking. I suppose when you know he was offered a contract you can consider it but it just seems like natural passage of time.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Why would the Jets agree to such a condition? :huh:
To get him to sign now instead of going to KHL for bigger salary and them make a Tolvanen-like show of himself so he could ask a bonus-heavy $3M AAV ELC like Tolv did.

Reactions: JetsFan815
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Over another guy with no bonus? How does that work? It still will kill a year of his ELC and get him to UFA a year quicker if it keeps up. Not to mention that it would make him eligible for the XD if that is delayed a year. The timing of that is not written in stone yet.

but if he had a performance bonus...

It was suggested when he signed that the lack of one this season was an early indicator he was making the team.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Can you even claim to have gained cap space when an aging player goes to UFA? Just asking. I suppose when you know he was offered a contract you can consider it but it just seems like natural passage of time.

Well I was trying to look at the positives. If you want to go all Nietzsche on that trade then it was- Andrew Ladd + 2nd round pick for Logan Stanley and Luke Green :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
but if he had a performance bonus...

It was suggested when he signed that the lack of one this season was an early indicator he was making the team.

The choice is him playing this year for no bonus or him not playing this year for no bonus. I'm completely missing the connection with that suggestion or else it was an ill thought out suggestion. It might be different if he was delivering more than he is costing, but it is the exact opposite of that.

3-4 years from now will we be wondering if he was rushed into the NHL? How many times do we hear that about a player who was played in the NHL before he was ready and who later fails to live up to expectations?

Contract provisions or not, he is not more ready than Lemieux, Petan or Dano. Now Dano has been exposed to waivers in order to keep him playing 7 min/gm. He is probably learning and getting better, but is he doing so faster/better than he would be doing playing 20 min/gm in the AHL, or even 15 in the KHL? And even if he is, is that worth what it is costing? His presence is holding back the 4th line and screwing around with our depth players.

Reactions: Board Bard

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well I was trying to look at the positives. If you want to go all Nietzsche on that trade then it was- Andrew Ladd + 2nd round pick for Logan Stanley and Luke Green :laugh:

:laugh: OK, you put it that way and I do that trade all day.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Wish Dano would have been given a better shot in this organization. Conditioning issues aside, he had skill to his game and was an agitator (a shit talker mostly) who rarely crossed the line. I don't think he will clear waivers but you never know.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Asset management is key but so is people/individual management. I wanted Dano to succeed here but the fact of the matter for me is we also have to manage an organization of individuals. I’d say this sends a pretty good message that sometimes when the org feels it’s time for a player to stay regardless of waiver status we will reward players with an NHL roster spot if they’ve put in the work and earned it. In this case clearly the org feels that way in regards to Lemieux > Dano.

I don't see Lemieux as having anything to do with this. It is keeping KV on the roster for no apparent reason vs waiving Dano. Keeping KV is a pretty obvious no-brainer. :sarcasm:

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
The choice is him playing this year for no bonus or him not playing this year for no bonus. I'm completely missing the connection with that suggestion or else it was an ill thought out suggestion. It might be different if he was delivering more than he is costing, but it is the exact opposite of that.

3-4 years from now will we be wondering if he was rushed into the NHL? How many times do we hear that about a player who was played in the NHL before he was ready and who later fails to live up to expectations?

Contract provisions or not, he is not more ready than Lemieux, Petan or Dano. Now Dano has been exposed to waivers in order to keep him playing 7 min/gm. He is probably learning and getting better, but is he doing so faster/better than he would be doing playing 20 min/gm in the AHL, or even 15 in the KHL? And even if he is, is that worth what it is costing? His presence is holding back the 4th line and screwing around with our depth players.

I agree that K-Ves shouldn't be playing on the Jets right now. He should be adapting to the North American style in the AHL, getting heavy minutes. Was simply pointing out that it's not normal for a 1st round pick to have a contract containing NO performance bonus' for his first year. The only reason to have omitted it would be to save the Jets as much as $850,000 should he make the team. Lempo brought this up back in September in a discussion with KingBogo.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like Lemieux over all 3 of these guys - haven't seen a ton of him but from what I have seen, he brings it.
You just know Maurice is going to like this guy and work to get him into the line up - I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the 4th and KV down for development.

Well, if that is what is going to happen then why waive Dano? There's plenty of ammunition to argue Lemmy over Dano or Dano over Lemmy. There doesn't seem to be any to argue waiving Dano to keep either KV or Lemmy though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree that K-Ves shouldn't be playing on the Jets right now. He should be adapting to the North American style in the AHL, getting heavy minutes. Was simply pointing out that it's not normal for a 1st round pick to have a contract containing NO performance bonus' for his first year. The only reason to have omitted it would be to save the Jets as much as $850,000 should he make the team. Lempo brought this up back in September in a discussion with KingBogo.

Yes - to the bolded. But it shouldn't mean that he gets a free pass on to the team.

It makes the decision to keep him less costly than it would be if he had a bonus. It doesn't make it less costly than keeping some other, cheaper, better player.

Reactions: Board Bard

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Haha you've made that trade look even better than it was by that summary.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I don't see Lemieux as having anything to do with this. It is keeping KV on the roster for no apparent reason vs waiving Dano. Keeping KV is a pretty obvious no-brainer. :sarcasm:

Think you`ve got this right. I suggest that the choice made reflects how much influence Maurice has in these decisions. But not sure what`s really at play - either Maurice`s complete disdain for anything Dano :)eek:) , or on the flip side, Maurice`s infatuation with KV`s style of play ,and his sense that KV will nicely fill a "role" in his imagined lineup in relatively short order. Suggests to me that management might plan to keep KV here longer than most think.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
Why is Chevy giving away young players when he doesn't have to?
You can't keep holding onto to assets just to say, "Hey! We have the most assets!"
At some point management has to make a decision.
They've decided to put their faith in Lemieux and Petan. Maybe they're wrong.
Maybe they're right.
But I for one like this move.

Reactions: Hobby Bull

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The timing of this move makes it clear that Chevy respects Dano and won't get in the way of his career. This move isn't done to facilitate another. It's just a sign that a decision has been made and they're not going to string him along.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
You can't keep holding onto to assets just to say, "Hey! We have the most assets!"
At some point management has to make a decision.
They've decided to put their faith in Lemieux and Petan. Maybe they're wrong.
Maybe they're right.
But I for one like this move.
Petan I understand, absolutely no reason to flush Dano right now in favour of Lemieux or Ves. Neither of those players have screamed can't keep me out of the lineup and both have options.

Dano may never have value but there is no way they need to potentially give him up for nothing right now, unless Chevy feels that strongly he'll pass through.

Reactions: jetsforever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad