Waived: Dano on waivers (Mod: Claimed by the Avs)

Will Dano clear waivers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I think it's pretty simple... Dano was a promising young forward that made the mistake of getting out of shape at a time when there were real line-up opportunities. Then he came to camp in shape at a time when the competition for a spot was much more difficult, with talented young players.

If it was really about shape, the Jets made a classic mistake talked about much in Moneyball.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It's really time to put this myth to bed. Reeves et al will do what they're going to do, Lemmy in the lineup or not.
If they injure one of our players Lemmy will go after their skilled guys and if he gets thrown it doesn't make a difference.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If it was really about shape, the Jets made a classic mistake talked about much in Moneyball.
His performance dipped along with his fitness. You can ascribe some of it to linemates, but that's chicken and egg. You can't play good minutes with a top line if your fitness and quickness is suspect.

Also consider that the NHL now has lots of teams using analytics and not one offered even a future late round pick for him. They knew his numbers, but probably also thought he wasn't worth the risk.

Dotchin put up good numbers in TB. They fired him into the sun because he showed up out of shape. Jets gave Dano more opportunities than that.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Because he's getting revenge on the other teams star player.
Reeves injuries Ehlers Lemmy injuries Karlsson.

The whole advocating injury on another player issue aside, you now have Lemmy likely getting suspended for several games by the league. Again, not seeing much of an argument for how Lemmy is an important part of the lineup.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The whole advocating injury on another player issue aside, you now have Lemmy likely getting suspended for several games by the league. Again, not seeing much of an argument for how Lemmy is an important part of the lineup.
If you don't have that element you have someone like Wheeler feeling like he has to stand up for a team mate being in the penalty box or getting injured.

Reactions: Tommigun and ulf

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Jets like Lemieux because they found that they had too few players going to hard areas around the net in the playoffs. They weren't giving MAF much pressure around the crease, and you need some of that in the playoffs, Maurice probably thinks that. Ironically, Dano is actually a very effective netfront presence.

Reactions: Saintb and sipowicz

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I think the Jets like Lemieux because they found that they had too few players going to hard areas around the net in the playoffs. They weren't giving MAF much pressure around the crease, and you need some of that in the playoffs, Maurice probably thinks that. Ironically, Dano is actually a very effective netfront presence.
Maurice didn't like Dano's speed. I think that's the end of it. PoMo is a method coach. If you don't fit the method, you suck.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Doesn't look like the Avs board thinks much of Dano. His thread has been stale since Oct. 23rd and I already see him being tossed around in hypothetical trade talk, or he will be on waivers at some point. Just sayin'

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Doesn't look like the Avs board thinks much of Dano. His thread has been stale since Oct. 23rd and I already see him being tossed around in hypothetical trade talk, or he will be on waivers at some point. Just sayin'
Trade doesn't seem in the cards. Jets weren't able to get any nibbles.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Maurice didn't like Dano's speed. I think that's the end of it. PoMo is a method coach. If you don't fit the method, you suck.

Bingo. Smallish and lacks speed in an era where every NHL coach gets hard about straight line speed, regardless of whether it’s functional or not.

Unfortunately that means Petan won’t be far behind in joining Dano.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
His performance dipped along with his fitness. You can ascribe some of it to linemates, but that's chicken and egg. You can't play good minutes with a top line if your fitness and quickness is suspect.

Also consider that the NHL now has lots of teams using analytics and not one offered even a future late round pick for him. They knew his numbers, but probably also thought he wasn't worth the risk.

Dotchin put up good numbers in TB. They fired him into the sun because he showed up out of shape. Jets gave Dano more opportunities than that.

I think the bold is a really good point that is often missed on this board.

Each team has an analytics program now. And even if the weight given to the input of the analytics team varies a lot across the league, when a young guy makes it to waivers, if that guy was a clear cut Kevin Youkilis it is almost certain at least one team would have offered something for him.

I mean, in the case of Dano not only were the base advanced analytics good. He also has a first round pedigree and a (very) brief period of high end production in his past.

It is difficult to believe this is a case where a gross inefficiency exists.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This got me a bit interested and went and checked out the Avs board. Today Dano at practice was skating on the 4th with a couple NHL/AHL tweeners and posters were guessing they'd get 5-6 minutes.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
This got me a bit interested and went and checked out the Avs board. Today Dano at practice was skating on the 4th with a couple NHL/AHL tweeners and posters were guessing they'd get 5-6 minutes.

Another poster also mentioned on there that they believe when the Avs get healthy Dano will get waived again and the Jets will claim him and send him to the Moose. Could be possible.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Avs fan, yeah he hasn't been great. He's a lot more physical and chippy than I thought but hasn't really done anything positive to stand out. And outside of our top line our depth is horrible, so..

great name though.

Reactions: Cellee

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Avs fan, yeah he hasn't been great. He's a lot more physical and chippy than I thought but hasn't really done anything positive to stand out. And outside of our top line our depth is horrible, so..

great name though.
You do have one hell of a nice first line.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Only reason we're at where we are. We need depth so so so bad.
Maybe we can talk. We have forward depth that can't get into the lineup due to a bit of a glut. I'm sure Petan is available at a fairly small price and I'd take him way before Dano. Given a legit opportunity he might really take off.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Maybe we can talk. We have forward depth that can't get into the lineup due to a bit of a glut. I'm sure Petan is available at a fairly small price and I'd take him way before Dano. Given a legit opportunity he might really take off.

Bit of a weird year for us. Going into the season Sakic wanted to see what we really have in Kerfoot/Jost/Compher/Kamenev etc, and they haven't really shown what we've wanted. Granted it's still only October but I don't really see top 6 potential in an of them outside of Kerfoot (who's better at wing + undersized) and maybe Kamenev. Not to mention Jost/Compher are out right now with concussions.

As soon as Stastny hit UFA I was quite confident that he'd re-sign here and honestly that would've been huge for us, so we're kind of stuck riding the top line and hoping for the occasional chip in from the depth. I think after this season we see a quantity for quality type trade, too many young players competing for the same spots.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Bit of a weird year for us. Going into the season Sakic wanted to see what we really have in Kerfoot/Jost/Compher/Kamenev etc, and they haven't really shown what we've wanted. Granted it's still only October but I don't really see top 6 potential in an of them outside of Kerfoot (who's better at wing + undersized) and maybe Kamenev. Not to mention Jost/Compher are out right now with concussions.

As soon as Stastny hit UFA I was quite confident that he'd re-sign here and honestly that would've been huge for us, so we're kind of stuck riding the top line and hoping for the occasional chip in from the depth. I think after this season we see a quantity for quality type trade, too many young players competing for the same spots.
Of course after this season you my luck into some significant help at forward thanks to Sakic's wheeling and dealing.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Because he's getting revenge on the other teams star player.
Reeves injuries Ehlers Lemmy injuries Karlsson.

That's just dumb. Having Lemieux in the line-up won't prevent Reeves (for instance - pick any other goonish player on any other team) from injuring someone if that's his intent.

Playing the zero-sum game by having some other meathead take someone out doesn't really fix the problem, and it's never, ever going to stop someone from injuring someone else if that's their intent. It's NOT a deterrent.

Maybe start a thread on this subject - the topic has nothing to do with Dano, and this thread has pretty much run its course and is likely to be closed soon.

Reactions: Laine Fan

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That's just dumb. Having Lemieux in the line-up won't prevent Reeves (for instance - pick any other goonish player on any other team) from injuring someone if that's his intent.

Playing the zero-sum game by having some other meathead take someone out doesn't really fix the problem, and it's never, ever going to stop someone from injuring someone else if that's their intent. It's NOT a deterrent.

Maybe start a thread on this subject - the topic has nothing to do with Dano, and this thread has pretty much run its course and is likely to be closed soon.
Happy when mods call my opinions dumb.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Happy when mods call my opinions dumb.

It has nothing to do with being a moderator. This is me voicing my personal opinion about a statement, which I'm entitled to do, as is every poster on this forum.

Having "enforcers" in the league is an outdated idea that is slowly and thankfully dying out. It simply doesn't work - it does not prevent a player from taking liberties. While it may make fans feel better by exacting "revenge", the original injury is still present. It prevents nothing.

Start a new thread about enforcers if you'd like to discuss it further. This Dano thread is now wildy off topic, and Dano discussion is probably best served in the "Around the League" thread from this point on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad