Waived: Dano on waivers (Mod: Claimed by the Avs)

Will Dano clear waivers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
Your not watching close enough then. Dano plays nothing like Kane. Dano is fantastic at angles, he knows how to eliminate options on the forecheck and in the defensive zone with his excellent angles on puck carriers. He is VERY good at finding the dead ice in the offensive zone, Kane's biggest weakness. Underrated vision. Consistently wins puck battles. Carrying the puck through the neutral zone (Kane's biggest strength) is probably Dano's biggest weakness as he is weak with the puck on his stick at times. Good at getting his stick in shooting and passing lanes. Obviously skating is just average but is mitigated somewhat by his angles. No one is saying he is perfect or a superstar, but a solid 3rd liner that can move up in case of injury is what he is. A reliable player that could have helped them use the 3rd scoring line more is what should have happened. But much like Chiarot it just shows how the Jets consistently struggle with talent evaluation outside of their top few guys.
Yah I give you that. He is good at puck battles.
But I guess this is more about the decision that Chevy had to make.
I for one I'm glad that Chevy chose Lemieux and Petan over Dano. Not because Dano is not a capable NHLer.
But more I'm excited seeing the progession on Lemieux and Petan in the NHL.

I liked the disciplined Lemieux we saw in the preseason. Can he continue to build on that?
I liked the more aggressive Petan in the AHL last year. Can he gain the confidence he needs to be an impactful NHLer?

I voted Dano does not get claimed. It's interesting either way.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
For those that voted no...who claims him?

Going with Arizona.

Arizona is a good pick - I think they claimed Burmistrov from us ? Teams that were bottom dwellers in the standings last year, would be the ones to claim him

1) Arizona
2) Detroit
3) Vancouver
4) Edmonton Oilers
5) Montreal Canadiens

Teams that had poor standing positions last year, will be considering him very favorably. If his contract is reasonable ( I think it's around $ 850- $ 1mil) he'll be gone for sure.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Funny that everyone involved in that deal has basically dissappeared. Even the Philly picks Rubtsov and Laberge. Stanley? Maybe?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
15-16 to 18-19 Points per 60 mins. @Marko_Dano 1.51. Joel Armia 1.46. Andrew Copp 1.34. Adam Lowry 1.32. Nic Petan 1.24. Brandon Tanev 1.02.

Idiotic decision. 2nd/3rd liner right now with still potential. This is how you end windows prematurately by making poor decisions on depth players. We've seen this story time and time again. The reason teams like Pittsburgh stay good is that they make good depth decisions, Chevy has done full on opposite.
I think he's mishandled Dano, but Dano also contributed by being out of shape at a time when a roster place or two was his for the taking. Basically, Tanev and Copp grabbed the last two roster spots, and they deserved them. Jets think Petan is better now, and probably KV and Lemieux are seen as better futures. I hope Dano gets picked up and gets a chance. He obviously has zero trade value, or he would have been traded instead of placed on waivers.

Reactions: ps241 and GNP

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If that was the case Chevy would have tried to trade him first. If there was some interest you'd think he would have been able to at least get a late round pick.
He has zero trade value, or he would have been traded even for a late pick. I think he'll likely be picked up on waivers, but there's a good chance he clears. He needs to play at the NHL or AHL level to get his career back on track.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Arizona is a good pick - I think they claimed Burmistrov from us ? Teams that were bottom dwellers in the standings last year, would be the ones to claim him

1) Arizona
2) Detroit
3) Vancouver
4) Edmonton Oilers
5) Montreal Canadiens

Teams that had poor standing positions last year, will be considering him very favorably. If his contract is reasonable ( I think it's around $ 850- $ 1mil) he'll be gone for sure.
If those teams all want him, I would expect that Chevy would have been able to squeeze a future 7th rounder out of one of them.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I bet he's claimed, makes a third or fourth line

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have always liked Dano but there is something up. I think he is good enough to contribute but he has somehow managed to not endear himself to coach Q or PMo?

I have no idea if he clears waivers nor do I care anymore. I kind of thought this would be the season Dano and Petan would have filled in when injuries happened but this move seems to indicate Paul has other ideas.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He has zero trade value, or he would have been traded even for a late pick. I think he'll likely be picked up on waivers, but there's a good chance he clears. He needs to play at the NHL or AHL level to get his career back on track.
It makes you think that maybe the only deal Chevy could line up for Dano required him to be in the A, so they team that trades for him gets to see what he can do with ice time in the AHL before committing a roster spot.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It makes you think that maybe the only deal Chevy could line up for Dano required him to be in the A, so they team that trades for him gets to see what he can do with ice time in the AHL before committing a roster spot.
Good point.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Weird move at this time. KVes must have some real mojo with management. I see Lemmy as a heavier version of Tanev, plus PIMs.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd bet that Lemieux has a better career going forward than Dano....

Not if he becomes the latest AHL grad to become stapled to the press box.

Jet's record of AHL grads is far from spectacular. Lowry & Morrissey are the only ones to have spent a full season in the AHL to make the jump to Jets regular.

Reactions: Hobby Bull
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

How would that work? The acquiring team isn't allowed to send him to the the minors.

Risking losing a player to 29 other teams in the hopes he clears waivers to increase his trade value in trading to one makes ZERO sense.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not if he becomes the latest AHL grad to become stapled to the press box.

Jet's record of AHL grads is far from spectacular. Lowry & Morrissey are the only ones to have spent a full season in the AHL to make the jump to Jets regular.
It is not an easy roster to crack. They have had a large amount of players by-bass the A entirely or spend less than a full season there. You also left out Helly.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I'd bet that Lemieux has a better career going forward than Dano....

I'm sure that there are people who would say Chris Thorburn had a "better career" than, say, Maxim Sushinskiy... sort of depends on your criteria.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
How would that work? The acquiring team isn't allowed to send him to the the minors.

Risking losing a player to 29 other teams in the hopes he clears waivers to increase his trade value in trading to one makes ZERO sense.
If the interest in Dano is so lukewarm no one wants to risk losing one of their own roster players by adding him to their roster, you might only get a flier on him if he is already in the minors so you get to see him play before committing a roster spot to him.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Can I ask why? Why did we waive him? Because of Buff's injury? Im kinda out to lunch at this one. Is Petan finally coming back? Thats the only reason that makes sense.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
It is not an easy roster to crack. They have had a large amount of players by-bass the A entirely or spend less than a full season there. You also left out Helly.

You're right. There's certainly Bucky. That's three then.

While I realize many of the Jets best have bypassed the A (Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Trouba) & others simply played portions (Connor,Roslovic), it's those with a lower pedigree I was referring to. The entire prospect pool from Atlanta are a good example.

Although one can easily point out the Postma's, Redmonds, Klingbergs & O'Dells haven't had success elsewhere, one has to always consider that the difference between success & failure in hockey is razor thin. The argument can always be made that there can be no success without opportunity.

The all to familiar formula for Winnipeg is to develop prospects until the become waiver eligible, than sit them in the press box until their development stagnates.

EDIT: Roslovic played basically a full season in 2016-2017. It was an injury that limited his AHL appearances. So that's 4 & double the 2 I originally stated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad