News Article: Daniel Alfredsson " We Hope to get a new Owner "

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
There's 4 in particular that frequent the Melnyk threads who are notably absent from this thread.

They are currently preparing their media strategy to respond to this event.

I'm sure it will largely be to attack the media/blogger. Only makes sense given the sentiment is already out there with the unethical/bushleague type stuff.

Might still see some nouveau Daniel Alfredsson character attacks though.

Stay tuned.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

Attachments

• MEL.png
    MEL.png
    898.4 KB · Views: 47

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Why is it ridiculous? If it was such a "bush league" move by Sherring, it is equally bush league to run with the story. If she didn't "follow a code", then the media should just blackball her too and treat her like everyone in here is "just like a blogger".

It's not even close to the same.

1) One person made private information public. It was private. Confidential. Not to be shared. Now it's public. Because of one person. That's a breach of trust, and highly unprofessional.

2) Other people are reporting on public information that is public. Anyone is allowed to report on public information, because it's been made available to anyone.

You see the difference here, right?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Completely agree with you on this. Melnyk should be the focus here not "journalistic integrity". Why do we care about journalistic integrity, are we all journalists?

Eh... It's not hard to discuss both issues. Clearly the "Melnyk vs Alfie" side of this has more legs, and is more relevant, but sports media in Ottawa is a relevant topic here as well.

Both disscussions have merit, IMO. The journalism one is just a much shorter discussion.

Are we all so shocked that Alfie doesn't like Melnyk?

We are not.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I do find it funny that the journalist/Blogger outed herself in terms of violating her sources desire to remain off the record (albeit after the fact). I guess it would have got out that Alfredsson would have preferred this particular comment remain private, but I'm not sure what she had to gain by admitting he asked her to keep it off record once she had decided that his request was invalid because she hadn't agreed in advance of the comment being made.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Scummy thing to do. Don’t know this person. My first impression is she is scummy.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I do find it funny that the journalist/Blogger outed herself in terms of violating her sources desire to remain off the record (albeit after the fact). I guess it would have got out that Alfredsson would have preferred this particular comment remain private, but I'm not sure what she had to gain by admitting he asked her to keep it off record once she had decided that his request was invalid because she hadn't agreed in advance of the comment being made.

It sounded like she was trying to convince herself that she didn't do anything wrong more than try to convince her readership.

"I'm off the hook because of a technicality and a very particular and subjective line of thought about skirting the line of ethical journalism by adhering to the language of the law instead of the spirit of the law, right? Yes?"

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Eh, I would definitely rather another owner than Melnyk. Doesn't mean I agree with Sherring throwing Alfie under the bus like that.

We all knew Alfie wasn't fond of Melnyk, anyone could put 2 and 2 together and see that.

The mainstream media, retweeting this story doesn't really do anything that hasn't already been out there. There has been plenty of coverage of peoples dislike of Melnyk.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It sounded like she was trying to convince herself that she didn't do anything wrong more than try to convince her readership.

"I'm off the hook because of a technicality and a very particular and subjective line of thought about skirting the line of ethical journalism by adhering to the language of the law instead of the spirit of the law, right? Yes?"

I guess. Just seems so odd to me in general. There's also a hint of "he claims he didn't know I was a journalist, but that's just a coverup so that he doesn't look bad" in there too. Idk, I still feel like Alfredsson should have enough experience in dealing with the press that he wouldn't make a mistake like this, but then again, he is the one that said "probably not"

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Borowiecki says hi!
I get the sense that Boro is just a really good team guy and company man. He's loyal to a fault. There's a reason that expression exists. Some guys are just extremely hard working and loyal even when faced with a boss/leader/parent that isn't worth it. I'd say that this is more about how loyal Boro is and not that Boro actually finds EM to be some wonderful personality. Lol

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I get the sense that Boro is just a really good team guy and company man. He's loyal to a fault. There's a reason that expression exists. Some guys are just extremely hard working and loyal even when faced with a boss/leader/parent that isn't worth it. I'd say that this is more about how loyal Boro is and not that Boro actually finds EM to be some wonderful personality. Lol

I am one of the few here who have grown fond of Boro - the guys lays it all out for the team and his game improved last year.

PS: Melnyk sucks liver

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Real journalists/reporters wouldn't have gotten that quote from Alfie because they wouldn't have printed it per Alfie's wishes/respected the code of ethics, so I'm not sure if your point here is valid. Fans don't want these juicy stories at the expense of everything else.

you really need to stop referring to "the code of ethics" or pls post the part that says at a public event where no request was made to be off the record that the journalist (now a blogger & a journalist for many years at city hall, who has herself interviewed Alfie a number of times) is ethically required to retroactively agree to put parts of a conversation off the record.

if you just dont like it well thats your god given right to have an opion - but ffs stop calling it against violation of some imaginary set of rules you're putting in place.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
you really need to stop referring to "the code of ethics" or pls post the part that says at a public event where no request was made to be off the record that the journalist (now a blogger & a journalist for many years at city hall, who has herself interviewed Alfie a number of times) is ethically required to retroactively agree to put parts of a conversation off the record.

if you just dont like it well thats your god given right to have an opion - but ffs stop calling it against violation of some imaginary set of rules you're putting in place.

I think he's referring to a violation to the spirit of the profession/ professional courtesy, and basic human decency, rather than an actual legal code of conduct that is somehow binding and answerable to a governing body or something.

At least, that's the context I'm picking up.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Alfie showing he is still a leader with these poignant words, knew it needed to be said and so he did it, he has always spoken the truth even sometimes to his demise (Probably not), wish I could give that man many hugs and high fives!

Was tough to get through that initial 4-5 page ethics debate amongst the journalism majors here but glad this thread got back on track to discussing the actual story!

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It's not even close to the same.

1) One person made private information public. It was private. Confidential. Not to be shared. Now it's public. Because of one person. That's a breach of trust, and highly unprofessional.

2) Other people are reporting on public information that is public. Anyone is allowed to report on public information, because it's been made available to anyone.

You see the difference here, right?

Alfie knows what he is doing. What he said is not news, so lets just stop attacking the journalism and start spewing our venom where it deserves to be spewed.

#MelnykOut

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Thanks for clarifying things to me Bonk. :sarcasm:

Alfie knows what he is doing. What he said is not news, so lets just stop attacking the journalism and start spewing our venom where it deserves to be spewed.

#MelnykOut

I guess that's why he asked for it to be off the record?

People can want journalistic integrity (especially if it makes someone respected like Alfie, look bad) and want Melnyk gone too.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad