News Article: Daniel Alfredsson " We Hope to get a new Owner "

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
A few posters over this year have brought up the idea of Alfredssona s part of an ownership group.

I've got to ask.....How? Unless Daniel had a rich uncle that died and left a few billion to play with, having another cash-strapped ownership group isn't going to help the Sens. And I seriously doubt any bigwig billionaires are simply going to hand Alfredsson a piece in a half-billion dollar franchise just for name recognition.

The rumour mill had it that deep pockets would buy the team and Alfie would be the front man. He might own a small fraction in this scenario but it makes sense that a billionaire(s) would want Alfie as the face to the brand-its smart business to have someone so emotionally connected to hockey in this city associated with the operation. I still think something has been brewing for a long time on the ownership front but I also believe few people are more stubborn than Melnyk.

Reactions: bert

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
A few posters over this year have brought up the idea of Alfredssona s part of an ownership group.

I've got to ask.....How? Unless Daniel had a rich uncle that died and left a few billion to play with, having another cash-strapped ownership group isn't going to help the Sens. And I seriously doubt any bigwig billionaires are simply going to hand Alfredsson a piece in a half-billion dollar franchise just for name recognition.

What? If you’re buying a product and the #1 most marketable, the person with the most integrity with the fanbase, the man who defined the franchise and is beloved in the city is looking for a job within a je team you’d have to be a full-time idiot (like Melnyck is) to not have him on board.

Branding your product begins and ends with Alfie if your an ownership prospect , it’s a no-brainer. Nothing builds good will with the fanbase then Alfie saying ‘Fans Come back, it’s a new start and we’re going to do it right this time’

Reactions: Rand0m

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

It's likely Ghost shares that Alfie earns through being the face of the team and potentially have a role as president or something in the front office. It's a strong PR move. Something the current owner clearly knows nothing about.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Why are we mad at this blogger?

Why are people mad? Alfie has 25 years of media training, he’s the one to blame for speaking out to someone who he didn’t know. It might skirt a grey area, but why is Alfie saying this unless he wants it out there?
its possible to say " alfie should have done that" but also say " journalist should not have reported it" the man said off the record its off the record"

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
its possible to say " alfie should have done that" but also say " journalist should not have reported it" the man said off the record its off the record"

You don’t get to say that after, you agree on the terms before hand and respect it - that’s actual real code of journalism and not allowing your interviewee to dictate the content of the article based on how loose his lips are

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Been lots of blaming the media this summer in ottawa - sign of a desperate product. Message is out of control, owner is out of control, GM is immature.

Signs of trouble everywhere for this club

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Calling Sherring a "journalist" is a reach, given she has worked for the Ottawa Sun and basically made a case for being smarter than anyone else, when failing in trying to get elected in 2014. You simply cannot trust someone that isn't from the Globe and Mail or another high end publication.

And I don't get what Ian Mendes is going on about taking issue with the word "we". There have been countless stories about Melnyk's meddling, temper, interference, etc. etc. It's almost certain Alfie is speaking for more than himself.
Good on him for embarrassing our owner, pity it was handled in such an awkward way.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
You don’t get to say that after, you agree on the terms before hand and respect it - that’s actual real code of journalism and not allowing your interviewee to dictate the content of the article based on how loose his lips are

No. Just no.

Real code of journalism is not catching people saying something they shouldn't have and then going "HA! GOTCHA!".

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So question....

Now that Ken Warren is writing an article quoting Sherring's "off-the-record" comments and that TGOR is also discussing these "off-the record" comments, doesn't that make them just as bad as you are all saying Sherring is??

What?

No. Of course not. It's ridiculous to even insinuate as much.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No. Just no.

Real code of journalism is not catching people saying something they shouldn't have and then going "HA! GOTCHA!".
Eh, it sort of depends on the context. In this case, sure, I'd probably err towards giving Alfie a mulligan if I were the reporter, this isn't investigative journalism where what'sHerFace was trying to uncover a scandal, but at the same time, I'm really not sure what Alfie, a guy that has the experience to be more media savvy then that was thinking. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if a part of Alfie wanted this to get out, though perhaps not quite so directly.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
No. Just no.

Journalism is partly Gotcha - that’s why they ask questions and follow lines on investigation and do investigative journalism otherwise they’d just be like TSN1200 and report on the Senators press releases and lineups and not do anything in depth.

This is partly gotcha, but we’ll within the lines of off/on the record

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
What?

No. Of course not. It's ridiculous to even insinuate as much.

Why is it ridiculous? If it was such a "bush league" move by Sherring, it is equally bush league to run with the story. If she didn't "follow a code", then the media should just blackball her too and treat her like everyone in here is "just like a blogger".

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Why is it ridiculous? If it was such a "bush league" move by Sherring, it is equally bush league to run with the story. If she didn't "follow a code", then the media should just blackball her too and treat her like everyone in here is "just like a blogger".

Sounds like you’re putting on the blame on people who had nothing to do with the interview or story, that seems weird to me.

What does Ken Warren have to do with this lady’s journalistic integrity?

If I told Bonk a secret about you that you confided in me about and Bonk goes and discusses it with someone else are you saying Bonk is to blame for me blabbing to him?

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
Sorry if this has been resolved previously but this Don Brennan piece back in February of 2018 still leaves me scratching my head:

Cheapseats: Gaps are closing for Senators, on the ice and in the standings

"BETWEEN PERIODS: The Senators have now been a week without a president/CEO and there’s no word on whether John Ruddy is at least down to his short list of candidates … "

We still haven't seen a new president hired from outside the organization... Its almost as if Melnyk is just holding down the position until something else happens...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad