News Article: Daniel Alfredsson " We Hope to get a new Owner "

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Sorry if this has been resolved previously but this Don Brennan piece back in February of 2018 still leaves me scratching my head:

Cheapseats: Gaps are closing for Senators, on the ice and in the standings

"BETWEEN PERIODS: The Senators have now been a week without a president/CEO and there’s no word on whether John Ruddy is at least down to his short list of candidates … "

We still haven't seen a new president hired from outside the organization... Its almost as if Melnyk is just holding down the position until something else happens...
Still too early to say. The Sens have done nothing lately, publicly anyways. No leaks. No rumors. Nothing. Maybe wait until puck drop of next season

Reactions: Sensational Ride

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If I told Bonk a secret about you that you confided in me about and Bonk goes and discusses it with someone else are you saying Bonk is to blame for me blabbing to him?

Nope, would just assume that Bonk doesn't continue to spread my secret across the city in a more public venue.

Its very easy for everyone to blame Sherring, but don't kid yourselves, I assume the majority of local media are very pleased this story came out and they are more than pleased to piggy back on it.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
You guys blaming Alfie are missing the point that he did multiple interviews with her in the past and trusted her.

She just saw a big opportunity and sold her career for it. She will never get a big interview from our future owner Alfie from now on though :)

Reactions: topshelf15

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Real code of journalism is not catching people saying something they shouldn't have and then going "HA! GOTCHA!".
According to whom? Theoretically, the unwritten "code" puts the onus on the reporter to get the truth. It implies that if a source says something is off the record and the journalist agrees, it doesn't get printed. Professional courtesy dictates that if something is said to be off the record, finding an alternate source who will go on the record is usually preferred but off-the-record stuff can be useful for background.

Nowhere in this code is it implied that something of public interest can be erased unilaterally with an after-the-fact "by the way, that was off the record." Both parties need to consent. It doesn't agree with your interpretation, but Sue Sherring did nothing wrong. Will she get another quote from Alfredsson ever? Probably not. Ethically, it's murky. But whatever your feelings on the way the quote was reported, there was no code broken. In fact, most journalism schools would encourage this type of reporting. The second you let the interviewee dictate the terms of the interview, it stops being journalism and starts being public relations.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Sounds like you’re putting on the blame on people who had nothing to do with the interview or story, that seems weird to me.

What does Ken Warren have to do with this lady’s journalistic integrity?

If I told Bonk a secret about you that you confided in me about and Bonk goes and discusses it with someone else are you saying Bonk is to blame for me blabbing to him?

Peter got Bonked.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
-Blogging now is the new journalism. When the last time people cared to read mainstream media or watch sports cable news? I do not.

-How do we know it is not Daniel Alfredsson's
scheme of things to push his own agenda? Where his front office job with the new owner will be a guarantee. It is a big city now, and viral news like this will not be kept private and done for a reason.

Reactions: Chezzz

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
-Blogging now is the new journalism. When the last time people cared to read mainstream media or watch sports cable news? I do not.

-How do we know it is not Daniel Alfredsson's
scheme of things to push his own agenda? Where his front office job with the new owner will be a guarantee. It is a big city now, and viral news like this will not be kept private and done for a reason.
The Washington Post and New York Times have had a massive surge in subscriptions over the past 2 years. People are turning back to these tested institutions after learning how news via social media has failed them and been corrupted.

It means something to write for the Times, Post or even the Globe and Mail in Canada. They have integrity and uphold standards.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Still too early to say. The Sens have done nothing lately, publicly anyways. No leaks. No rumors. Nothing. Maybe wait until puck drop of next season
What i find interesting is how quiet the league has been,we have had a billboards put up to pressure the owner out...Normally the league would have said something by now in an owners defense ,and to try and quell the fan unrest...But it seems like there is a cone of silence from them as well....

Thinking something big is in the works

Reactions: Bean Drown

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So question....

Now that Ken Warren is writing an article quoting Sherring's "off-the-record" comments and that TGOR is also discussing these "off-the record" comments, doesn't that make them just as bad as you are all saying Sherring is??

The "so-called" real journalists are now running with a quote that a "blogger" made..seems worse to me, no?
How so? Once it is in the pubic sphere (regardless of someone doing it off the record) it's going to be reported on.

Or are you of the opinion that if everyone pretends she never reported it, it never happened?

Their hands aren't dirty, hers is. suggesting otherwise is a cope.

Last edited:

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If you're focusing on the "off-the-record" issue or "journalistic integrity" you're missing the point. Number one, let's all calm down. It's not like publishing this information puts anyone in danger, or is actually important. This is entertainment gossip. Would it matter if a news report came out tomorrow about Matt Damon saying he doesn't like Martin Scorsese in a private conversation? Nope. This is no different. It has no impact on anything that really matters.

Number two, it just confirms what fans already know. Melnyk has a terrible reputation and it's going to affect our ability to re-sign our own players, attract UFAs and bring in qualified front-office staff. This team is in for a very dark period as long as he remains the owner, and anyone who wants to see the team do well on and off the ice should be hoping he voluntarily, or involuntarily, sells. Let's hope the debt load overwhelms Melnyk in the next few years...

There is no "plan".

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
Susan Sherring is bush league, I hope no one worth their weight in salt ever speaks to her again, either on or off the record. Hopefully this doesn't derail any plans in motion to replace Melnyk.

Also, this does confirm an open secret, that Melnyk really is the biggest, if not the sole, reason that the Sens are in the precarious situation they're in.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If you're focusing on the "off-the-record" issue or "journalistic integrity" you're missing the point. Number one, let's all calm down. It's not like publishing this information puts anyone in danger, or is actually important. This is entertainment gossip. Would it matter if a news report came out tomorrow about Matt Damon saying he doesn't like Martin Scorsese in a private conversation? Nope. This is no different. It has no impact on anything that really matters.

Number two, it just confirms what fans already know. Melnyk has a terrible reputation and it's going to affect our ability to re-sign our own players, attract UFAs and bring in qualified front-office staff. This team is in for a very dark period as long as he remains the owner, and anyone who wants to see the team do well on and off the ice should be hoping he voluntarily, or involuntarily, sells. Let's hope the debt load overwhelms Melnyk in the next few years...

There is no "plan".
I mean, it probably affects some inner workings of his controlled films and decisions (Sens), makes Damon look like an asshat (Melnyk), embarrasses Scorsese (Melnyk, so who cares), distances media (already happening here). It definitely matters.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I mean, it probably affects some inner workings of his controlled films and decisions (Sens), makes Damon look like an asshat (Melnyk), embarrasses Scorsese (Melnyk, so who cares), distances media (already happening here). It definitely matters.

I mean expecting high-quality journalistic ethics for entertainment gossip (which this is) is a bit much. This is Page Six type stuff. Sure, it matters to Sens fans, and it might matter to Martin Scorsese fans on message boards... but let's calm down. Who cares.

Reactions: Hutz

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I mean expecting high-quality journalistic ethics for entertainment gossip (which this is) is a bit much. This is Page Six type stuff. Sure, it matters to Sens fans, and it might matter to Martin Scorsese fans on message boards... but let's calm down. Who cares.
You answered your question before asking it...

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
So Sens fans should care about the ethics of Susan Sherring, or the apparent fact that everyone, including the former face of the franchise, think Melnyk is a joke?

I'd say the latter is more important but we have 4 pages here talking about journalism...

Completely agree with you on this. Melnyk should be the focus here not "journalistic integrity". Why do we care about journalistic integrity, are we all journalists? This is the type of story and coverage many of us have been hoping for for a long, long time. Are we all so shocked that Alfie doesn't like Melnyk?

Reactions: TheNewEra

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Completely agree with you on this. Melnyk should be the focus here not "journalistic integrity". Why do we care about journalistic integrity, are we all journalists? This is the type of story and coverage many of us have been hoping for for a long, long time. Are we all so shocked that Alfie doesn't like Melnyk?
Not in the slightest

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So Sens fans should care about the ethics of Susan Sherring, or the apparent fact that everyone, including the former face of the franchise, think Melnyk is a joke?

I'd say the latter is more important but we have 4 pages here talking about journalism...

The former is new information to most, while the latter is old news. I mean, we're just reacting to the novel information here...

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
This is a spicy meatball , I like it alot.

We can hopefully dispense with alot of the goofery going forward.

People here and in the community have been told things by all manner of people connected to the team about the dynamics at play here.. but constantly run up against the "source???" demands.

This was yet another of those conversations that finally fellto someone with something to gain by printing it instead of the rest of the people who know things who generally have nothing to gain and relationships to lose.

Put it this way, if you are a friend/buisness relationship etc with an Alfie / Leeder / Anselmi / nameless front office person / staff etc , you would face far more loss than an old writer/blogger trying to drive page traffic to repeat this stuff publicly, but yet I have little doubt that this is basically just a known set of circumstances in the community that has been kept in check by the usual power and relationship politics dynamics at play.

Reactions: Hutz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->