Confirmed with Link: Dallas Stars claim Dustin Jeffrey from waivers

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
... il be shocked if hes still playing in the NHL next year.
You could be right with that one.
If he is not regular in NHL, he just might accept our offer to come back to Zagreb and play in KHL along with 25 other NA players. We couldn't beat Pens offer, but I'm pretty sure he'll get a call from Zagreb again.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I called this a long time ago, that Jeffrey would be Letestu 2.0. The way this team is coached and in this system, there's no place for Jeffrey. Not good enough to be a Top 6 regular, not grindy enough to be a bottom 6 regular. Especially since his natural position is C. He's not a better option than Sutter or Vitale by a long shot.

In the end, good for him. Hope he does well / fits in on a rapidly improving Dallas team. The problem is, Dallas now is a deeper, better team than Columbus was when Letestu went there so I'm not sure how well this will work out for him. He may get waived again before he ends up in his "home". Could see him in Florida maybe.

I honestly don't know if he's not a better option than Sutter. And that's not me praising Jeffrey

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I honestly don't know if he's not a better option than Sutter. And that's not me praising Jeffrey

Well let me help you out. I know we're all disappointed that Sutter has not been more of an offensive / physical presence, but he's still a better player than Dustin Jeffrey. We were all hoping Sutter would be Staal light on the defensive side of the puck but that hasn't happened. That said it probably was more of a self-deluding prediction on our parts than a realistic one.

Not saying Sutter is a key piece or anything. Just saying if I'm a coach, there's no way I'm playing Jeffrey 82 games at 3C ahead of Sutter.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I find it funny that now that he's been waived and claimed by another team, Jeffrey's suddenly not an NHL player. But before, when defending Shero's drafting track record, Jeffrey was always included as "great to get an NHL player with a 7th round pick!" in those accolades.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Well let me help you out. I know we're all disappointed that Sutter has not been more of an offensive / physical presence, but he's still a better player than Dustin Jeffrey. We were all hoping Sutter would be Staal light on the defensive side of the puck but that hasn't happened. That said it probably was more of a self-deluding prediction on our parts than a realistic one.

Not saying Sutter is a key piece or anything. Just saying if I'm a coach, there's no way I'm playing Jeffrey 82 games at 3C ahead of Sutter.

I haven't seen enough of Dustin Jeffrey getting consistent 3rd-line minutes to make that determination for myself, with or without your help. Sutter is very inconsistent.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
so I'm the only one that saw Jeffrey - Vitale - Engo possess the puck in the O-zone more in two games than Glass and Adams have all season? No, we're better off with Glass blocking three shots in a single shift, all taken by the guy Glass himself should have been covering.
IIRC it was DJ who made a great play to get the puck to JV on Engos 2nd goal.

That may have been the last game DJ played.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
IIRC it was DJ who made a great play to get the puck to JV on Engos 2nd goal.

That may have been the last game DJ played.

You're right and wrong. It was DJ who made a great play along the boards to get the puck to Vitale who fed Engo.

Wrong because his last game was the disaster in New York where both of his bad plays immediately turned into Rangers goals.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I find it funny that now that he's been waived and claimed by another team, Jeffrey's suddenly not an NHL player. But before, when defending Shero's drafting track record, Jeffrey was always included as "great to get an NHL player with a 7th round pick!" in those accolades.

Jeffrey's not playing like an NHL forward and hasn't been since they stapled him to the bench so a not-NHL-forward from Carolina could post zeroes in ten games with the then-reigning MVP and First-team right wing. Jeffrey was an excellent 7th round selection that Bylsma and Shero ruined.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
About time! Hope the guy becomes a good 3rd line C for Dallas now. Felt sorry for the guy, now he can finally play! I think he sucked because he knew he would be benched again asap, so he gave the "i don't give a **** anymore" attitude hoping to get waived.

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
DJ Jazzy Jeff :((((

He's not a guaranteed top six talent or anything, but I do think he's better than the role of playing a couple shifts on the 3rd/4th lines every 10 games over the course of 6 years. Hopefully he can find some success in Dallas.

And btw the people complaining about keeping Glass and Adams over him, I don't really see that as true. Kobasew is really the guy who "took his jerb". Which is worse because he really didn't need to be signed in the first place.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So is this the Pens "shakeup" that will put us back into playing the way we should be? Shero and Bylsma probably think so. NOBODY IS SAEF!!!!!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
DJ Jazzy Jeff :((((

He's not a guaranteed top six talent or anything, but I do think he's better than the role of playing a couple shifts on the 3rd/4th lines every 10 games over the course of 6 years. Hopefully he can find some success in Dallas.

And btw the people complaining about keeping Glass and Adams over him, I don't really see that as true. Kobasew is really the guy who "took his jerb". Which is worse because he really didn't need to be signed in the first place.

Kobasew is far and away the best of the 4 players you just mentioned.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Good luck to Dustin Jeffrey. He was one of my favorite players when he was on WBS. It is good to see that he will get a bigger role on a team that lacks centre depth. I am assuming that Zach Sill will have a spot as a depth player until Scuderi comes back?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
You're right and wrong. It was DJ who made a great play along the boards to get the puck to Vitale who fed Engo.

Wrong because his last game was the disaster in New York where both of his bad plays immediately turned into Rangers goals.

That's right. I'm pretty sure someone that it would be his last game with us in the PGT.

penguins2946*

Oh no, we waived a 13th F who has done nothing since 10-11. Jesus people, you're acting like we waived Bennett or something. He's a depth F, and probably won't be much more than that. Literally no loss whatsoever. Let me guess, you guys had the same reaction when Tangradi was traded as well, correct? Look how that turned out.

Also Glass>Jeffery this year, by a huge margin. Saying otherwise is just plain wrong.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Good for DJ. This organization really did him a disfavor. i don't think he'll becoming some superstar but I can see him having a Letestu like career.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
its an ongoing trend of keeping run down vets over youth with some potential.

And getting nothing in return for them, which is the part that bothers me (in the case of Strait and Jeffrey).

Jeffrey did not look better than Glass this season, no.

Apples and oranges. Glass is a pure winger. Jeffrey is a pure centre who was asked to play wing, and wasn't bad there when he actually got the chance to string more than 1-2 games together, and had a solid pre-season, as well. I always envisioned Jeffrey being our 4th line centre (who could move up the line-up in case of injury), with some combination of Glass/Adams/Vitale on the wings.

I called this a long time ago, that Jeffrey would be Letestu 2.0. The way this team is coached and in this system, there's no place for Jeffrey. Not good enough to be a Top 6 regular, not grindy enough to be a bottom 6 regular. Especially since his natural position is C. He's not a better option than Sutter or Vitale by a long shot.

In the end, good for him. Hope he does well / fits in on a rapidly improving Dallas team. The problem is, Dallas now is a deeper, better team than Columbus was when Letestu went there so I'm not sure how well this will work out for him. He may get waived again before he ends up in his "home". Could see him in Florida maybe. [Not really an asset management situation as 0.0% of NHL teams are going to trade useful assets for Dustin Jeffrey. We might get a 7th rounder out of him or something but so what. How often to 6th and 7th rounders pan out? 1 in 20?]

That's fine, but even if Jeffrey was Letestu 2.0 (which I don't think is quite a fair comparison, but Jeffrey is superior), then why didn't we at least get that 4th rounder for him, or use him as a throw-in in a trade? That's why I said it's the very definition of selling low on a player. And I would care less if we actually had a blue-chip centre prospect who was close to being able to contribute in the NHL.

Regarding Jeffrey & Dallas: Jim Nill is known to be one of the smartest hockey people around, and Lindy Ruff was there in our conference when Jeffrey first got called up and showed what he can do. (I know he scored at least once on Buffalo, but I don't know why I'm recalling he may have had a few goals against them, or even a 2 goal game?). And it's not hard to remember that a few years ago, this guy was the best player, and the best PKer, in the AHL. Doesn't mean he will be a star at the NHL level, but I thought he at least had quality 3rd line C written all over him.

And Vern Fiddler has requested a trade from Dallas. Jeffrey would be a more than suitable replacement. Smart move by Dallas, and really shocked that the Pens couldn't at least get something for DJ, and that other, lower-seated teams passed over him on the waiver wire.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
That's fine, but even if Jeffrey was Letestu 2.0 (which I don't think is quite a fair comparison, but Jeffrey is superior), then why didn't we at least get that 4th rounder for him, or use him as a throw-in in a trade? That's why I said it's the very definition of selling low on a player.

You're just not going to get much for the guy (and I don't know that he's better -- what I meant was in the same way there was no place for Letestu and he was let go, we were going to have to let Jeffrey go). It's a crap shoot with these types of players as to whether you waive them, someone offers a 6th rounder, or whatever. That's almost immaterial in this case because he's a borderline NHLer on a lot of teams, but for one that's struggling he just might fit in and find a home.

With Dallas... I don't know. Won't be shocked if they waive him too.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Apples and oranges. Glass is a pure winger. Jeffrey is a pure centre who was asked to play wing, and wasn't bad there when he actually got the chance to string more than 1-2 games together, and had a solid pre-season, as well. I always envisioned Jeffrey being our 4th line centre (who could move up the line-up in case of injury), with some combination of Glass/Adams/Vitale on the wings.

Well yeah, it's apples and oranges, but it wasn't me who asked that they be compared. Jeffrey's not "worse than Glass." Or, at least, he shouldn't be.

But he's been more of a net negative than Glass in his 10 games this season.

As I said a couple times, this isn't his fault. Jeffrey hasn't been the same since his knee injury, but he's been completely off the rails since they sat him for Boychuk.

And yes, it's not out of the realm of possibility Nill will have made us look Pejorative Slured on this one 18 months from now.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
All Jeffrey ever did was make good plays to set up his plugger linemates with good chances that they never did anything with. He wasn't a useless old vet though so Bylsma had zero use for that kind of player. I ****ing hate this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad