Confirmed with Link: Dallas Stars claim Dustin Jeffrey from waivers

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
I'm not thrilled with Bylsma's fascination with Adams either, but he's clearly been more productive than Jeffrey has been this year.

Adams will never be productive come Spring at his age and there are better options that Bylsma's adopted Brother who won't be replaced until Bylsma is.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Very happy for him getting out from under the Penguins...but I'm upset that we lost him for nothing. There had better be something else going on here or this is another classic mismanagement of assets.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Follow about 6 local hockey reporter types on twitter. Was nice of none of them to tell me this guy was on waivers.

Anyways, glad he's gone, but there's a nonzero chance the Penguins end up looking like complete Pejorative Slurs on this.

They've mishandled this player badly. Worse than any player in a Penguins uniform I can remember. Last straw was when they claimed a worse player with a similar profile (Boychuk) off waivers and scratched Jeffrey while Boychuk hung around the perimeter to the tune of zero points in about ten games. Haven't seen one second of decent hockey from DJ since that.

If DJ's salvageable (and I don't know if he is), Jim Nill just added a relevant piece for nothing.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Very happy for him getting out from under the Penguins...but I'm upset that we lost him for nothing. There had better be something else going on here or this is another classic mismanagement of assets.

he was just waived to make room for Sill on the ice and Vitale in the press box

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
With the way he was playing he wasn't worth anything. If they'd got him in the lineup regularly, had him pick up the odd point and kill some penalties they might have been able to flip him for a 5th/6th.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm not thrilled with Bylsma's fascination with Adams either, but he's clearly been more productive than Jeffrey has been this year.

Yep, Glass has outplayed him as well.

I think he has something to offer, but he didn't exactly make himself indispensable.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I never really gave a **** about previous waiver losses, but Jeffrey hurts a bit. I think he could have done well here, if we had a coach who didn't treat every young player like they have bird flu.

The Maatta situation kinda changed that for me - dude just turned 19 and they had zero issues playing him and keeping him here. I guess we'll see if Jeffrey flames out like Tangradi and others before but perhaps the coaches are just a tad smarter than they're given credit for.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
am I the only one here who thinks Jeffrey has looked better than Adams and Glass this year? He is the only one of them that can ever help keep the puck in the offensive zone.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The Maatta situation kinda changed that for me - dude just turned 19 and they had zero issues playing him and keeping him here. I guess we'll see if Jeffrey flames out like Tangradi and others before but perhaps the coaches are just a tad smarter than they're given credit for.

who has flamed out? Even Tangradi is getting regular minutes elsewhere. (Yes, I know he's not lighting the world on fire, but if flaming out is getting regular minutes somewhere, that seems like really high standards)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I think he'll play well somewhere else like Strait, Lovejoy and Letestu before him. I guess we'll wait and see.

ps: I have no problem with the Lovejoy trade. But letting both Strait and Lovejoy go for the sake of Mark Eaton is mind-numbingly dumb.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Another player we lose for nothing, fantastic!

Dustin Jeffrey is a better hockey player than at least 2 guys in our line-up every night. Awesome.

And, the only real "scoring" centre option we had here if we were to lose Crosby or Malkin for injury, and especially the uncertainty of whether Jokinen, or even Vitale, will re-sign here, both of whom are UFAs after this season. It's not like we've got Blueger or Sundqvist knocking the door down for an NHL centre job next season. And it's not like Adams is going to play here forever either. I hate this move, but...

He was dicked around with far too much here. Hope he can play consistently in Dallas.

Yes, I HATE the way he was used (aka wasn't used), and he was dicked around with here and never got the chance to show what he could do in a string of games. Asking a guy to play out of position, then insert him into the line-up once every couple of weeks for a game or two here and there, is not the way to really allow a player to show what he could do.

Talk about the very definition of "selling low" on a player. I was never entirely against Jeffrey being gone, but I figured that he could at least be of value in a trade if the Pens were to package him with a Dman to a team who could use some depth at centre. Add Jeffrey and a draft pick to a Despres/Dumoulin for team who is looking for a Dman and who is a little thin or has injuries at centre (i.e. the Ducks), and it just might be enough to get you that winger you really want.

But he's not going to have any value if the guy who scored a PPG, was the best player in the AHL and then translated his game very nicely to the NHL when he came up here gets benched despite working hard to get back and showing he never lost a step, but then consistently being scratched and getting zero ice-time.

Glad he's gone for our sake and for Jeffrey's. He's simply not a bottom-6 option. Hopefully he finds a role with Dallas like Letestu has in Columbus.

He will. He's a real player, and I fully anticipate him to exceed what Letestu has done. The only difference is we didn't even get anything in return for him. At least a conditional pick or something? Did we really think he wouldn't get claimed? Continued poor asset management.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
lmao that this board is up in arms about Dustin freaking Jeffrey getting claimed on waivers

typical response though

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
am I the only one here who thinks Jeffrey has looked better than Adams and Glass this year? He is the only one of them that can ever help keep the puck in the offensive zone.

Jeffrey did not look better than Glass this season, no.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

I don't think Jeffrey played better than Glass or Adams, Glass and Adams are better fits for our 4th line than Jeffrey is.

I thought Jeffrey was decent depth, but in no way is this a loss, people can ***** that we let him go for nothing, maybe they had to. I don't think the Pens banked on him clearing waivers, they probably shopped him and no team was interested. So they put him on waivers.

Guys like Jeffrey and Strait are nothing special, they're just depth options. They aren't game changers, Strait isn't Scuderi and Jeffrey isn't a Jokinen/Cooke/Kulemin, clone, so it's not a big deal.

Good luck to DJ, but he had no role here, and he didn't earn one.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
so I'm the only one that saw Jeffrey - Vitale - Engo possess the puck in the O-zone more in two games than Glass and Adams have all season? No, we're better off with Glass blocking three shots in a single shift, all taken by the guy Glass himself should have been covering.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I 100% disagree. Glass is terrible. His hits are only a second late this year instead of 2, but he still plays his entire game stuck in our own zone.

The best fourth line this year was Jeffrey - Vitale - Engelland.

Was this because it was used against Columbus? Maybe. But I would have liked to see more from it.

Adams and Glass had a good first week of the season. They've been horrible since. I don't know how people can look at their play and think differently.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I don't know. I sure don't agree with you.

Jeffrey looked like ass in his available roles here. He's a smart two-way guy, but he's slow, soft, has a questionable compete level and made just as many gaffes as Adams/Glass . He could make a serviceable 3rd line center somewhere, but that was never going to happen here.

He's a poor man's Letestu. This was his year to do something...anything...and he didn't.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I called this a long time ago, that Jeffrey would be Letestu 2.0. The way this team is coached and in this system, there's no place for Jeffrey. Not good enough to be a Top 6 regular, not grindy enough to be a bottom 6 regular. Especially since his natural position is C. He's not a better option than Sutter or Vitale by a long shot.

In the end, good for him. Hope he does well / fits in on a rapidly improving Dallas team. The problem is, Dallas now is a deeper, better team than Columbus was when Letestu went there so I'm not sure how well this will work out for him. He may get waived again before he ends up in his "home". Could see him in Florida maybe. [Not really an asset management situation as 0.0% of NHL teams are going to trade useful assets for Dustin Jeffrey. We might get a 7th rounder out of him or something but so what. How often to 6th and 7th rounders pan out? 1 in 20?]

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I 100% disagree. Glass is terrible. His hits are only a second late this year instead of 2, but he still plays his entire game stuck in our own zone.

Subtract the checking, keep "stuck in our own zone" and add a side of bad turnovers and getting caught behind the play and that's how Jeffrey's been playing this year, so yes, he's been worse than Glass. He played the worst of any forward the Penguins dressed this year apart from Connor. Maybe

Which is the Penguins fault, not Jeffrey's. If anyone knows another guy who's been mishandled worse than this organization, I'd like to know his name.

so I'm the only one that saw Jeffrey - Vitale - Engo possess the puck in the O-zone more in two games than Glass and Adams have all season? No, we're better off with Glass blocking three shots in a single shift, all taken by the guy Glass himself should have been covering.

Not to go overboard on defending Glass, but that was Sutter's guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad