Confirmed with Link: Dallas Stars claim Dustin Jeffrey from waivers

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Listen, like I mentioned earlier in this thread. Do you people know for a fact that the Penguins didn't try trading him? You know everyone cries "poor asset management", Is it though? Do you guys really think Ray Shero sat in his office and said "I think we're going to waive Brian Strait, just for the heck of it" same with Jeffrey, Tangradi, Lovejoy, etc.? My guess is, he shopped these players, other teams were interested in trading picks for Lovejoy and Tangradi, maybe other teams thought they could just take their chance on waivers.

Again that's my guess, I don't know what Shero does, and neither does anyone here, so while I can't say for sure that what I mentioned above is true, it's also not fair to automatically assume Shero didn't try and that he gave these players away for nothing and should be fired.

Whatever happened with Strait, he was immediately replaced by Mark Eaton. We had no reason to get rid of Strait otherwise.

Same here. Why get rid of Jeffrey at all? Why did we need to waive him?

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I don't think DJ is some unreal hockey player that's magically going to become a 20 goal scorer or anything.. this organization though. It's frustrating. He's 25 and has potential. What does Adams bring to this team??? He's 36 going on 46. He's literally the most useless hockey player in the league. He gets the puck and chips it into the zone and..? We clap? "Playoff warrior" Yea, he was bearable in 09, almost FIVE years ago.

This organization.. I don't understand it. Favorites are played. We live in the past. Why is this?? Put the 12 best forwards on the ice!!! You have potential? WHO CARES.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
I don't think DJ is some unreal hockey player that's magically going to become a 20 goal scorer or anything.. this organization though. It's frustrating. He's 25 and has potential. What does Adams bring to this team??? He's 36 going on 46. He's literally the most useless hockey player in the league. He gets the puck and chips it into the zone and..? We clap? "Playoff warrior" Yea, he was bearable in 09, almost FIVE years ago.

This organization.. I don't understand it. Favorites are played. We live in the past. Why is this?? Put the 12 best forwards on the ice!!! You have potential? WHO CARES.

When you exaggerate like this, it's hard to take the rest of the post seriously.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Whatever happened with Strait, he was immediately replaced by Mark Eaton. We had no reason to get rid of Strait otherwise.

They waived Strait (choosing to avoid exposing Bortuzzo to waivers) to keep Despres on the roster at the beginning of last season. It was a situation where they had to send someone down to get under the roster limit. They gambled that Strait would clear (and/or determined they were willing to risk him getting claimed than Bortuzzo - which I don't think was wrong) and unfortunately lost.

And just for the sake of chronology: Eaton signed his AHL tryout a few days after Strait was waived (but before current ECHLer Carl Sneep - kind of hard to believe he was a second round pick - was traded!), but didn't sign an NHL contract until late February, a couple weeks after Lovejoy was traded.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
I had no idea he was even on waivers. i was certain that when he was moved it would be in some kind of trade (maybe as an extra piece).

This move to Dallas might be the best thing for him. With the Pens he wasn't getting any ice time this year and he was pretty much invisible when he was. Dallas is a team young enough where he can get ice time but also one that has enough pieces in place to climb the standings. Good luck Jeffrey! (unless you are playing against a team I root for...)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They waived Strait (choosing to avoid exposing Bortuzzo to waivers) to keep Despres on the roster at the beginning of last season. It was a situation where they had to send someone down to get under the roster limit. They gambled that Strait would clear (and/or determined they were willing to risk him getting claimed than Bortuzzo - which I don't think was wrong) and unfortunately lost.

And just for the sake of chronology: Eaton signed his AHL tryout a few days after Strait was waived, but didn't sign an NHL contract until late February, a couple weeks after Lovejoy was traded.

Whatever the order it happened in, we screwed up. Out of those 4 players, the worst one saw the most playing time in the end. A better player was traded, waived and benched for Mark Eaton.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Whatever the order it happened in, we screwed up. Out of those 4 players, the worst one saw the most playing time in the end. A better player was traded, waived and benched for Mark Eaton.

I don't disagree that I'd rather have Strait, Lovejoy, and Bortuzzo than Eaton. Even though I don't think Eaton played poorly and it was probably inevitable that two of those three were on their way out regardless of who came in. Also on a pedantic semantic level I disagree with the description of those moves as being "for Mark Eaton" as if these were all deliberate steps taken for the express purpose of getting Mark Eaton.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don't disagree that I'd rather have Strait, Lovejoy, and Bortuzzo than Eaton. Even though I don't think Eaton played poorly and it was probably inevitable that two of those three were on their way out regardless of who came in. Also on a pedantic semantic level I disagree with the description of those moves as being "for Mark Eaton" as if these were all deliberate steps taken for the express purpose of getting Mark Eaton.

but seriously, **** Mark Eaton

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
am I the only one here who thinks Jeffrey has looked better than Adams and Glass this year? He is the only one of them that can ever help keep the puck in the offensive zone.

Unfortunately for jeffrey, his 2 memorable turnovers ended up in the back of our net. Adams' consistent turnovers and attempts at getting pucks deep...gets him more ice time from bylsma.

I can actually hear in my head the conversations bylsma has with Adams. "Listen. While the whole world is focused on stats, I am not. I understand the value you bring to this team, how hard you work, and badly you want to win. It rubs off on our team and you bring so much more than stats to this team..." And the tugfest continues for 20 minutes. It makes me ill to think how important Adams probably thinks he is to this team. "I bring the intangibles. I do all the little things right. I'm a heart and soul kinda guy. Oh, that looks like a shooting lane. Better hustle to get over and not get in it. This team can't afford to have me injured."

I don't think Jeffrey is good enough to make this a monumental error, but Engelland-vitale-Jeffrey was the best 4th line I saw all year.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Unfortunately for jeffrey, his 2 memorable turnovers ended up in the back of our net. Adams' consistent turnovers and attempts at getting pucks deep...gets him more ice time from bylsma.

I can actually hear in my head the conversations bylsma has with Adams. "Listen. While the whole world is focused on stats, I am not. I understand the value you bring to this team, how hard you work, and badly you want to win. It rubs off on our team and you bring so much more than stats to this team..." And the tugfest continues for 20 minutes. It makes me ill to think how important Adams probably thinks he is to this team. "I bring the intangibles. I do all the little things right. I'm a heart and soul kinda guy. Oh, that looks like a shooting lane. Better hustle to get over and not get in it. This team can't afford to have me injured."

I don't think Jeffrey is good enough to make this a monumental error, but Engelland-vitale-Jeffrey was the best 4th line I saw all year.

what people refuse to acknowledge - imo - is that yes, Jeffrey had two horrible turnovers, but one took place in the neutral zone and the other took place in the offensive zone. There was some real flaccid defending after those turnovers that lead to the goals.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Jeffrey was lost for nothing because no one was willing to give up anything for him. Bylsma certainly deserves a good chunk of the blame for that but Jeffrey didn't cover himself in glory.

penguins2946*

I guess we should just waive all of our old players and play rookies. Just waive or move Dupuis, Glass, Adams, Orpik, Engelland and Niskanen and replace them with Megna, Kuhnhackl, Sill, Despres, Samuelsson and Dumoulin. That's definitely a cup contender lineup there.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
I guess we should just waive all of our old players and play rookies. Just waive or move Dupuis, Glass, Adams, Orpik, Engelland and Niskanen and replace them with Megna, Kuhnhackl, Sill, Despres, Samuelsson and Dumoulin. That's definitely a cup contender lineup there.

No, it' not, but neither is the current line up.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
What people say, "Glass and Adams are bad at hockey and I'm tired of losing players for nothing."

What defenders of the Skating Penguin read, "SO YOU THINK WE SHOULD JUST WAIVE ALL OF OUR VETS AND PLAY ROOKIES?! MORAN"

Things I learned: Strait, Lovejoy, Despres, Bortuzzo, Tangradi (HAHAH I SAID HIS NAME, GO NUTS), Jeffrey, Megna, Bennett, etc... are all rookies!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Honestly.. i don't give a ****. I am so happy for DJ that he finally gets a role (hopefully). At this point, all my frustration is on how the Pens are playing. I don't have time to care about roster movements. You could put every big time player on the team and it won't matter as long as we are half-assing making big loops and just throwing pucks wildly to the covered slot.

Please... do something with your career DJ. That's all i want to see.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

:laugh: Accurate.

I liked JVE as a 4th line. I think that Jeffrey picked the worst possible time to start sucking, the team was getting into the sucking groove so his mistakes ended badly, they're sucking so a token change needs to be made and all they seem to change is the 4th line. He was never a favourite, and D'Agostini is apparently doing something now, Adams is untouchable, Glass has been good, Kobasew is injured, Engelland works as a forward and is maybe a favourite; he's the odd man out in the bottom 6.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
what people refuse to acknowledge - imo - is that yes, Jeffrey had two horrible turnovers, but one took place in the neutral zone and the other took place in the offensive zone. There was some real flaccid defending after those turnovers that lead to the goals.

Aw man, no address of my bylsma/adams made up conversation? Don't even act like that wasn't dead on.

Hey, I agree with you about the turnovers being in locations where his team had plenty of time to bail him out, but when it happened the collective board just knew it was the nail in the coffin for Jeffrey as a penguin. I was more or less trying to draw on the hypocrisy that goes into cutting ties with a player for one thing while an older, less-skilled, vet is, has been, and will continue to make as bad or worse plays on a regular basis.

I'm also covering my bases by stating that I don't think Jeffrey is such a great player in anticipation of the responses being, "oh yes let's cry a river over a nonfactor like Jeffrey - now we'll never win a cup!" The Jeffrey situation represents a microcosm of one of the many problems we've seen with this team.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

nobody is saying anything like that at all. Was there a reason we needed to waive anyone at all right now?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Aw man, no address of my bylsma/adams made up conversation? Don't even act like that wasn't dead on.

Hey, I agree with you about the turnovers being in locations where his team had plenty of time to bail him out, but when it happened the collective board just knew it was the nail in the coffin for Jeffrey as a penguin. I was more or less trying to draw on the hypocrisy that goes into cutting ties with a player for one thing while an older, less-skilled, vet is, has been, and will continue to make as bad or worse plays on a regular basis.

I'm also covering my bases by stating that I don't think Jeffrey is such a great player in anticipation of the responses being, "oh yes let's cry a river over a nonfactor like Jeffrey - now we'll never win a cup!" The Jeffrey situation represents a microcosm of one of the many problems we've seen with this team.

actually all I could think of as I read it was: "Bylsma is really going to bemoan the lack of hair on Adams' head for him to run his fingers through"

It was accurate, though ;)

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Jeffrey was lost for nothing because no one was willing to give up anything for him. Bylsma certainly deserves a good chunk of the blame for that but Jeffrey didn't cover himself in glory.

Look at it this way, he didn't last on the Waiver Wire very long before someone picked him up. Let's see them put Adams on the Waiver Wire and see if someone picks him up.;)

penguins2946*

nobody is saying anything like that at all. Was there a reason we needed to waive anyone at all right now?

Because he probably wanted to be moved? Or maybe another deal is in the works? Idk, I'm not a member of the Pens.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
the Blackhawks waived two-time cup winner Craig Adams - sometimes teams waive good players. this is especially true when fit and role are grossly misaligned.

ive yet to see a compelling case that this move is representative of a prevailing practice with regards to asset management.

that said, i hope 'the jazzy one' finds success in Dallas. at the very least he can now catch a Flatlanders show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad