Confirmed with Link: Dallas Stars claim Dustin Jeffrey from waivers

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
The Penguins could trade Crosby and it might take the joke of the Pittsburgh media 3 days to realize it, so I am not surprised none of those dolts picked up the news on Jeffrey being placed on waivers.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Lmao he was on waivers? Shero really needs to be fired.

Ron, I am one of your devoted fans most of the time but just fill in the sentence a little more to see how crazy that is.

"Ray Shero needs to be fired because he waived Dustin Jeffrey."

I am down with the No More Country Club Disco crew and I can even question some of the things Shero has done and not done, most notably not done with Bylsma and MAF last June, and not strong-arming Bylsma last spring to play Iginla on the RW on Crosby's line for Chrissakes (basically being too passive / too extreme on the "hands off management" -- way too little is almost as bad as way too much).

But this thing today, is not a reason to fire Ray Shero. It's a footnote. As evidence Jeffrey will probably fall through the cracks over the next 12 months and not be an NHLer next year. The guy had his moments but he's just not that good. Neither was Strait, neither was Tangradi.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
No he needs to be fired for a lot more reasons. This is just a breaking point. Horrible asset management again. But don't worry, we have useless players that will be gone in a season or two in Kobasew and D'Agostini. Or Craig Adams that is already on his last legs

What do we do when Crosby and or Malkin get hurt? Yay let's move Sutter up who is only good at defense. Or maybe Jokinen who disappears for stretches at a time.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Dustin Jeffrey is bad and was never going to see regular playing time here. This neither helps nor hurts the team.

Except he wasn't even remotely bad. He's no longer a Penguin and the writing has been on the wall with the way this team mismanaged him though, so that's the cool thing to say about those kind of players so I get it.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
No he needs to be fired for a lot more reasons. This is just a breaking point. Horrible asset management again. But don't worry, we have useless players that will be gone in a season or two in Kobasew and D'Agostini. Or Craig Adams that is already on his last legs

What do we do when Crosby and or Malkin get hurt? Yay let's move Sutter up who is only good at defense. Or maybe Jokinen who disappears for stretches at a time.

Jeffrey has never done jack **** worth talking about in a top 6 role, though. If this was Bennett who was getting waived I could understand, but it's not. Jeffrey is a marginal player at best - not even half the player Mark Letestu is.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Jeffrey has never done jack **** worth talking about in a top 6 role, though. If this was Bennett who was getting waived I could understand, but it's not. Jeffrey is a marginal player at best - not even half the player Mark Letestu is.

You're 100% wrong and saying that makes me immediately not value any other opinion you have.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
You're 100% wrong and saying that makes me immediately not value any other opinion you have.

Okay. :dunno:

"Less than half the player Letestu is" might be lowballing Jeffrey, but aside from a few good plays here and there I have never understood the hard-on some posters here had for the guy. I think the fact that he's not a regular in the lineup has inflated peoples' opinions of him in the same way that politicians can say "I'm not the incumbent so vote for me." Jeffrey is not appreciably better overall than anyone in the current lineup aside from MAYBE Adams. There way better reasons to be mad at Shero than this.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
am I the only one here who thinks Jeffrey has looked better than Adams and Glass this year? He is the only one of them that can ever help keep the puck in the offensive zone.

You're not alone.

Jeffrey offers better offensive support in the zone. He can actually shoot unlike Glass an d Adams as well.

penguins2946*

C'mon people. Jeffery is nothing but a depth F. Waiving him isn't the end if the world. He was never going to have a shot here to play center. It's not like we waived Bennett.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
C'mon people. Jeffery is nothing but a depth F. Waiving him isn't the end if the world. He was never going to have a shot here to play center. It's not like we waived Bennett.

its more about losing depth guys for nothing when we have aging guys who are even worse than them. We chose Eaton over Strait and now Adams/Glass over Jeffrey.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

It is more to do with the fact that we've let Jeffrey go but this season will be keeping Craig Adams. Why?

penguins2946*

its more about losing depth guys for nothing when we have aging guys who are even worse than them. We chose Eaton over Strait and now Adams/Glass over Jeffrey.

I'll talk about Adams below, but Glass has been better than Jeffery this year. Also, that's comparing apples to oranges. Glass/Adams and Jeffery are completely different players. Obviously the Pens felt they needed their grit more than Jeffery's skill.

It is more to do with the fact that we've let Jeffrey go but this season will be keeping Craig Adams. Why?

Craig Adams is basically what Bylsma was when he played in the NHL. That's why he has such a raging boner for him. We can wish him away all we want, but it's futile. The Pens won't be getting rid of Adams. Just accept it, then it causes much less stress.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'll talk about Adams below, but Glass has been better than Jeffery this year. Also, that's comparing apples to oranges. Glass/Adams and Jeffery are completely different players. Obviously the Pens felt they needed their grit more than Jeffery's skill.
And I think that's wrong. Then again, the same people sat Vitale and kept Glass and Adams in as well. And sent Megna down to play D'Agostini. So I don't know what I expect.
Craig Adams is basically what Bylsma was when he played in the NHL. That's why he has such a raging boner for him. We can wish him away all we want, but it's futile. The Pens won't be getting rid of Adams. Just accept it, then it causes much less stress.

I accept it. It doesn't cause me less stress. It makes me angry when I think about it because he's not good at playing hockey.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Well, this is probably the best thing that could have happened for Jeffrey, since he certainly wasn't seeing ice time here. Hard for a player to develop from the press box. I hope he finds his place in Dallas.

From an asset management point of view, not so awesome. But, it is what it is.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
You're not alone.

Jeffrey offers better offensive support in the zone. He can actually shoot unlike Glass an d Adams as well.

Jeffrey is better with the puck and there's no debate he is infinitely more talented than Glass, Vitale or Adams. He's just not suited to playing 10 minutes a night in an unnatural position. He's a skilled center, not a grinding winger. And he's not skilled enough for most teams' top 3 center spots.

Dude's just way too soft for a 4th line role and way too slow for the wing.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
And I think that's wrong. Then again, the same people sat Vitale and kept Glass and Adams in as well. And sent Megna down to play D'Agostini. So I don't know what I expect.

I accept it. It doesn't cause me less stress. It makes me angry when I think about it because he's not good at playing hockey.

If you seriously get angry that Craig Adams is playing hockey then ... :help:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Jeffrey is better with the puck and there's no debate he is infinitely more talented than Glass, Vitale or Adams. He's just not suited to playing 10 minutes a night in an unnatural position. He's a skilled center, not a grinding winger. And he's not skilled enough for most teams' top 3 center spots.

You put it better than I did. People are just looking for excuses to bash at this point. As if the way the games are being played some nights isn't the only real excuse anyone needs. Hopefully this goes away just as quickly as the Strait thing and Tangradi thing, where most fans forget he was even here after a couple months.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You put it better than I did. People are just looking for excuses to bash at this point. As if the way the games are being played some nights isn't the only real excuse anyone needs. Hopefully this goes away just as quickly as the Strait thing and Tangradi thing, where most fans forget he was even here after a couple months.

Great post.

1) No one who is upset with this has disputed any of those points, so you're basically arguing against things that don't exist.

2) Strait and Tangradi are earning regular minutes with other NHL teams - one of which is competing for a playoff spot (if Straight stays healthy, anyhow)

3) The biggest complaint is that the Penguins continue to give away NHL talent - DJ is an NHL player - for little to no return, while inferior players continue to occupy roster spots.

b) You'll of course counter with "those inferior players are more suited to the roles they are in"

to which I'll reply: yes, of course, because Adams and Glass, while having no meaningful puck possession or offensive talent, are super physical specimens of humans, but DJ represents another in a series of young players unable to get chances over those two. While DJ isn't better suited for that role, are Vitale and Sill? Is Megna more deserving of a Bottom-6 role than Dags, Glass, Adams?

Plenty of people understand the situation Jeffrey was in. That doesn't excuse the way the organization continues to botch the depth-portions of its roster (both NHL and AHL)

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Shows what's wrong with the organization. Another young player who was given away because the coach refuses to play youth over vets.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

And yet, our 4th line was more effective at playing hockey when Jeffrey was there than it is with Glass or Adams. Also, Jeffrey is absolutely faster than Craig Adams.

I don't see why 4th liners always have to be grinders. What is wrong with a guy on the third line who can actually work the puck with Vitale a little bit?
If you seriously get angry that Craig Adams is playing hockey then ... :help:
as angry as I get about sports, yes. Not like real life angry.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I don't think Jeffery is a big loss, by any stretch, but it continues the trend of us losing serviceable young borderline NHL'rs to retain more expensive veteran one with similar talent and no upside. This is not how you operate in a cap system. we don't wear teams down in the third period like the myth the coaching staff says all the time, and if we do, its not because of the 10 minutes Glass plays a game, and gets over a million a season for, btw...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think Jeffery is a big loss, by any stretch, but it continues the trend of us losing serviceable young borderline NHL'rs to retain more expensive veteran one with similar talent and no upside. This is not how you operate in a cap system. we don't wear teams down in the third period like the myth the coaching staff says all the time, and if we do, its not because of the 10 minutes Glass plays a game, and gets over a million a season for, btw...

pretty much this.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Listen, like I mentioned earlier in this thread. Do you people know for a fact that the Penguins didn't try trading him? You know everyone cries "poor asset management", Is it though? Do you guys really think Ray Shero sat in his office and said "I think we're going to waive Brian Strait, just for the heck of it" same with Jeffrey, Tangradi, Lovejoy, etc.? My guess is, he shopped these players, other teams were interested in trading picks for Lovejoy and Tangradi, maybe other teams thought they could just take their chance on waivers.

Again that's my guess, I don't know what Shero does, and neither does anyone here, so while I can't say for sure that what I mentioned above is true, it's also not fair to automatically assume Shero didn't try and that he gave these players away for nothing and should be fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->