Prospect Info: Dallas Stars 2013-14 Prospect Talk Part II: The Playoff Edition

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I've heard it pronounced both ways.

Tomato Tomato

Ehh ... just one of those things you hear over and over and can't get out of your head. First couple times I thought I was hearing it incorrectly. By the third period I was pretty certain. Didn't expect it to turn into a discussion ... :laugh:. I just thought it was interesting that the company in commercials in the US pronounces the name differently in Canadian commercials.

Primetimey*

Ehh ... just one of those things you hear over and over and can't get out of your head. First couple times I thought I was hearing it incorrectly. By the third period I was pretty certain. Didn't expect it to turn into a discussion ... :laugh:. I just thought it was interesting that the company in commercials in the US pronounces the name differently in Canadian commercials.

What about this one,

:laugh::laugh:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
So clearly it's just a country full of people that can't agree on how to properly pronounce simple words... and we some how draft them to be our prospects. I think Dallas should be the first team to institute the Canadian factor and only draft non-Canadian's.

Extra points on the draft board for correct usage of y'all.

London plays Edmonton today at 7 PM Eastern .. about an hour and a half before Texas game. Someone is going down 0-2, and their final game will either be against Val-d'Or (Edmonton) or Guelph (London) so this is a huge game. Loser's chance at the semi-finals will be pretty slim with a loss.

On the other hand, Monday's game against Val-d'Or and Guelph will have a team going up 2-0, guaranteeing them at least a spot in the semi-final game, an in all likelihood giving them the leg up top spot in the standings.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Japanese doesn't have the hard a (like in Massachusetts) at all, so there's no way it's the right way to say it.

****, we've officially hit the offseason, I'm talking about Japanese on a hockey forum.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Japanese doesn't have the hard a (like in Massachusetts) at all, so there's no way it's the right way to say it.

****, we've officially hit the offseason, I'm talking about Japanese on a hockey forum.

The Texas series and Memorial Cup are very exciting, but watching NY/MTL and CHI/LA in the Conference Finals despite the fact I didn't even dream that Dallas could be there yet is a bit of a bummer.

Roussel and the French shacking things up in the WC is only a very small consolation.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

Well, I highly doubt the American way of pronouncing Mazda has much to do with staying true to Japanese pronunciation. I've never heard anyone from North America pronounce Toyota correctly.

When I first heard "pasta" in Canadian it blew my mind.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Well, I highly doubt the American way of pronouncing Mazda has much to do with staying true to Japanese pronunciation. I've never heard anyone from North America pronounce Toyota correctly.

"In Canadian" :laugh:

It's you silly 'Muricans that pronounce everything wrong :sarcasm:

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Since it wondered off to this, I shall also join the conv. The japanese word would be Matsuda, totally different from the english version. Also the correct pron. for Mazda would be maz ('a' sound from bad, 'z' sound from zebra) - da ('d' sound from dye, 'u' sound from syrup)

Enjoy, you silly north americans :laugh:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

How in the heck do they say pasta?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Gemel Smith and London are down 4-1.

Not looking good for the Knights.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Guelph will again have the opportunity to send London home ... this time for good.

London needs Val-d'Or to run the table against Guelph and Edmonton. If London was able to then knock of Guelph, they'd force a playoff with either Edmonton or Guelph for the final semi-final spot. The tie breaker is a bit different ... it's a formula that factors in goals for and against ... but it's not goal differential.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
In exactly two weeks, Mike Winther, Gemel Smith, Henri Kiviaho, and Dimitry Sinitsyn will re-enter the draft if they remain unsigned.

The only one that surprised me is Sinitsyn. Nill's MO so far with these signing has been to wait until the player's season is over so I assume there's still a very good chance Gemel Smith's deal gets done after the conclusion of the Memorial Cup. Sinitsyn though has been done for a while. Lindell's was inked not long after he completed time with the Finnish national team. Guptill's and Troock's were signed right after their season ended as well.

Dallas needs right shots, sure, but they need high end D more than anything. I'm hoping they can manage to get Sinitsyn under contract as he seems to have a projectable skill set to the pro game. Hopefully they are just hashing out some minor details.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Smith and Sinitsyn will hopefully be inked. Would be a shame to have wasted a 2nd rounder on Winther and have nothing come of it but he was injured/regressed this season.

In Nill I trust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad